Smart meters anyone ?

More
10 years 11 months ago #459743 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Smart meters anyone ?
Possible? Yes.
Economical and efficient? Dunno
Cheaper than using an existing cellphone network? Probably not.
Worth adding expensive infrastructure doing for the few customers out of range? No

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #459756 by spark
Replied by spark on topic Smart meters anyone ?

ccrk9;461104 wrote: The thing that bothers me is also the interference it can cause to other wireless devices.

Wether your smart meter causes you any radio interference problems depends on what radio frequencies the smart meter and your other radio devices use, how strong the transmitter is, how "clean" the transmitter is and how good your receivers are at ignoring strong signals on adjacent frequencies.

For your Vodafone 3G modem (strictly speaking not a T-stick as I understand that that is a Telecom trademark), I'd suggest that you buy an external "yagi" antenna, install it outside the house (get it high off the ground, well in the clear - on the roof often works well), pointed at the Vodafone cellphone repeater and run a cable from it to your 3G modem. If your 3G modem does not have an external antenna socket, you can buy one that does and swap the SIM card across to the new device.
This should also help with interference between the 3G modem and your cordless phone as you will be separating the antennae of the two devices.

For Sky TV, try moving your cordless phone base station away from both the sky decoder, and the cable to the dish. You can also try unplugging the phone line from the sky decoder as RF from the cordless phone base station might be traveling down the phone line and into the sky decoder. The Sky TV signal from the satelite is on a totaly different frequency to your cordless phone (about 12 GHz I think), but your dish converts this signal to a lower frequency (from about 500 to 1300 MHz I think) which is sent over the cable to the decoder - if a strong radio signal in this range manages to get into the decoder, or the cable to the dish, then it may upset Sky reception.

If/when they give you a smart meter, it will probably either have a cellular modem in it, or a "mesh network" transceiver (as far as I am aware, meter reading via power line carrier is not common in NZ). A cellular modem smart meter probably won't cause any more problems than having a guest using their cellphone whilst standing next to your meterbox, however, alot of the "mesh network" units work on the same 900MHz licence free band that is used by many old "long range" cordless phones (I suspect that you have this type of cordless phone as it sufferers from interference from your Vodafone 3G modem - Vodafone's radio spectrum is practically right next to the 900MHz licence free band).
The radio transceiver in a mesh network smart meter can get really busy, sending lots of RF alot of the time as it will relay data to and from the neighbour's smart meters - you probably don't want one of these because it might cause problems with your cordless phone.

I'd recomend that you don't put tinfoil or anything similar inside your meterbox as you run the risk of electrocution, or of causing a short circuit and starting a fire. If the smart meter has an external antenna, cutting the antenna (or the cable to it if it is remote mounted) will reduce RF emissions, but it's almost certainly illegal and the power company will understandibly get grumpy if and when they find out what you have done (they may even accuse you of doing it in an attempt to steal power). If your meterbox has an old black board in it that everything is mounted on, then it's probably asbestos board, and the technician about to drill holes in it to install the smart meter probably isn't aware of this (the later brown boards are formica and do not contain asbestos) - drilling asbestos board liberates asbestos dust, and you probably do not want this in your house...

Akzle - there is no conspiracy regarding radio spectrum. Basically, the radio spectrum from VLF to microwave is broken down into a few licence free bands and everything else reserved for those with licences. Because generally people do not want to have to go and buy (and regularily renew!) an expensive licence for radio spectrum (I understand that they start at about $200 a year and go up from there...) for a cordless phone, or a wireless network, etc, most of this equipment is made to use the licence free "ISM" bands eg
27 MHz band for remote controls and toys
433 MHz band for remote controls, door bells, driveway alarms, etc
900 MHz band for cordless phones, smart meters, etc
1.8 GHz band for DECT cordless phones
2.4 GHz band for cordless phones, microwave ovens, WiFi, etc
(there are others too)

Part of the rules are that unlicensed users have to put up with interference from each other and from licenced users. eg the 433MHz ISM band overlaps the 70cm amateur band (430 to 440 MHz) - if your 433 MHz remote control does not work because the licensed ham radio operator next door is transmiting on the 70cm band, then legaly, you don't have a leg to stand on as you are only an unlicenced user. However, if you live next door to a cellphone repeater, and your 900 MHz cordless phone interferes with the cellphone repeater, then you can expect a knock on the door and you will be legally obligied to stop interfering with the licenced cellphone repeater (usauly this means that you need to buy a different cordless phone and get rid of the old one)

Cheers

• Akzle
10 years 11 months ago #459765 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Smart meters anyone ?
im aware of the rf spectrum and its uses. I dont agree with the governments claim to it, nor the $$ they make in licensing, when the infrastructure IS THE AIR. They dont pay anything to maintain it...

I did not recomend putting conductive material near live wiring. You can line your inside wall and the outside of the box.

You cn get inductive pickups for antennae, but Beggar the antenna, get rid of meter.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460140 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Smart meters anyone ?
Well I phoned in a power reading today and also asked if the message had got thru that I didnt want a smartmeter. Of course it hadnt. The nice man I spoke to was going to ring the installer and get them to ring me to confirm I dont want it. Empower said to me that as there is no cell phone coverage they or poor coverage they will not install one. Kinda a conflict of stories as I was told I HAD to have it done by 2015 to meet regulations, but nobody has given me proof of what regulations.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
10 years 11 months ago #460142 by FarmerEms
Replied by FarmerEms on topic Smart meters anyone ?
Is this soon to be mandatory for *everyone*? I haven't heard much about it yet, just a few ad's on TV. If it run's off Vodafone, we don't have very good coverage at home, but I guess we might have some limited coverage. I don't mind if they change to them, at the moment they never can read ours, and it's up to us to give them readings, so giving them the means to reading our meter would be quite handy..

Growing the LSB one kid/lamb/calf/piglet at a time.. [8D]

More
10 years 11 months ago #460166 by spark
Hi,

Acording to the "Electricity Authority", by 2015, all meters must either be replaced or re-certified. I believe that in most cases, it is cheaper to replace a meter rather than remove, test, calibrate and re-install.

Whilst the law does not require that the replacement meters be smart meters, the electricity retailer might consider that their customers are contractually obliged to allow the installation of a smart meter.
www.ea.govt.nz/dmsdocument/7247

I guess it's a case of if enough people jump up and down and refuse to have a smart meter then the retailers will be forced to provide non-smart replacement meters (which will still comply with the requirements of the law).

Cheers

More
10 years 11 months ago #460572 by ccrk9
Thank you Spark .Just the info I wanted as I was told I HAD to have a smart meter. Both the power co and the installer have been informed I wont allow installation and they admit it is on file so all on hold for now

More
10 years 11 months ago #460725 by Bunter
Replied by Bunter on topic Smart meters anyone ?
We have had our smart meter for about 6 months or so now. Brilliant. I have heard that on older houses the power increases because the old meters weren't reliable. Our old meter was only 6 years old and we haven't noticed any difference. Our meter was read every three months and I had to try and remember to ring the readings in every month if I didnt want varying bills.
We have still got two meters - one for night store and one for everything else.

Karen
26 Acres South Wairarapa.
1 Dog. 12 yearlings, and 11 weaners ...... hand reared beef x's !

More
10 years 11 months ago #460729 by ccrk9

Bunter;462365 wrote: We have had our smart meter for about 6 months or so now. Brilliant. I have heard that on older houses the power increases because the old meters weren't reliable. Our old meter was only 6 years old and we haven't noticed any difference. Our meter was read every three months and I had to try and remember to ring the readings in every month if I didnt want varying bills.
We have still got two meters - one for night store and one for everything else.

Interesting Bunter. I kinda don't fancy more power coming in thru our old wiring! The previous owners did re wire the kitchen when they put a new one in but I know the rest of the house has old wires - shudder. I just cant afford to re wire but its high on the priority list. We phone thru 3 readings each month and I assumed we had 3 meters to match but the power company tell me its all off one meter.....

More
10 years 11 months ago #460730 by ccrk9
in fact this whole question has me sitting here looking at our meter board just outside the window and wondering just what we have. We have 3 separate gauges to read at the top and below them is a bright shinny new white box that's been there since before we arrived, then fuses and the main on/off switch. So Now I'm wondering what the heck the white box is as any old meter boards I have had in previous houses hasn't had that. In saying that our sleepout is powred off this board as well. Like many things about this house, whats here dosent make a lot of sense the way its been done by previous owners :-)

More
10 years 11 months ago #460748 by spark
Hi ccrk9,

The shiny white box is probably a "ripple relay", which is used for turning your hot water cylinder and night store heater (if you have one) on and off remotely from the power company's control room.

It would be good if you could post a picture of it here.

Ripple relays can also come in black or grey plastic boxes, and some of the really old ones are in black metal boxes. Some houses (more common in town) have a "pilot wire" system instead of a ripple relay, and these days there are also lots of houses that have neither device (which means that the hot water cylinder can't be turned off remotely).

Cheers

More
10 years 11 months ago #460783 by ccrk9

spark;462389 wrote: Hi ccrk9,

The shiny white box is probably a "ripple relay", which is used for turning your hot water cylinder and night store heater (if you have one) on and off remotely from the power company's control room.

It would be good if you could post a picture of it here.

Ripple relays can also come in black or grey plastic boxes, and some of the really old ones are in black metal boxes. Some houses (more common in town) have a "pilot wire" system instead of a ripple relay, and these days there are also lots of houses that have neither device (which means that the hot water cylinder can't be turned off remotely).

Cheers

Ah ha! That will be it as I am pretty sure they used to turn ripple control out hot water. I then told them off for doing so as our power plan dosent allow for that. We are supposed to have everything all the time and they were cutting our hot water. Have not noticed it being cool or cold since. It fits in as well with the renovation the previous owners did as they did the kitchen and bathroom and moved the hot water tank so most of the electrics for that were are newish and this looks modern on an old power board. Thank you.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460881 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Smart meters anyone ?
What does a smart meter look like? Just wondering because I have had a HUGE reduction in my monthly power bill - from around $120 on a read month to around $45. $45 seems awfully low for a months worth of power. The bill now also shows that it is always an "actual" reading rather than an "estimate".

I hope they are not reading via a very unreliable cellular network and getting the wrong numbers through - and that at some time I will get a huge bill for all the missed payments.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460912 by The Kats Place
Similar here, when our smart meter got put in my first bill was $590 credit. Would appear we had being over charged and they adjusted the last years power bills accordingly.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds