Smart meters anyone ?

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #34969 by ccrk9
Smart meters anyone ? was created by ccrk9
I got a letter today from my power company that I need to provide access for someone to install a smartmeter. As I don't know much about them and got no info with the letter I rang the 0800
number for the installer and said no they couldn't do it. I got away with it for now but it seems The Electricity Commission will require me to comply by 2015. I mentioned if the readings were to be taken via Vodafone network (which I heard somewhere) it was a waste of time as we don't have coverage or at beast its very spotty. Seems if that is the case they can remove the modem and have the meter physically read.

I also don't understand as we have 3 meters how one meter will be installed. We have one for hot water, one for the stove and one for the rest of the house and sleepout - the person I spoke to said its not 3 meters just 3 braches off one meter and nothing will change. We will keep our different and cheaper rates for each. I also don't really want the meter disturbed in any way as some of our wiring is pretty old - lrt sleeping dogs lie till we can afford to rewire.

Any comments anyone?? I'm about to dive into some research.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #459508 by Megan
Replied by Megan on topic Smart meters anyone ?
Smart meters "talk" to their head office by cellphone. If you have no coverage for cellphones then you won't be getting a smart meter anytime soon.
Neither will we or anyone around us, for the very same reason.

I just love being out of cellphone range :D

Megan

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #459509 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Smart meters anyone ?
We have one - long story - we had been here for some time when suddenly the farm shifted (!!) and became rural and so Genesis would only read our meter every 4 months - prior to this they had considered us as living in town and read one month and estimated the next. When I tried to talk to them, and explain that up until then we had been on town readings, they argued (despite their records showing otherwise) that we had been on 4 month readings all along, and that now as we had moved (our 6 acre block) to the country they would only send us a bill every 4 months. We accepted a Smart meter as a compromise and have had no problems with it. It is not on the house but on the side of the garage so well away from us.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

• Akzle
11 years 3 weeks ago #459512 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Smart meters anyone ?
they're evil and should be avoided,

if they "require" you to comply, tell them to take all their shit off your property (wires, poles etc) and go solar.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #459513 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Smart meters anyone ?
Sorry - if anyone read what I had already posted based on getting a call. Rereading indicated it was a letter.

What nonsense but you are just one of so many customers. Do you know what I would do in this case? I would Google until I found the CEO of the Company with an email address (you have to dig usually but it is possible) and I would contact them pointing out how ridiculous this letter was and they need to identify with their client base and stop wasting your time and your employees time (or fire their marketing team) based on the inability of your option of receiving that service.

Amazing how much they will bend over backwards and look after you when they get that they (their team) have messed up and don't want it out there. Hell they are being paid millions on average to be the CEO of a Company. I am serious. Do it!

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #459524 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Smart meters anyone ?
We're in the same boat with no cellphone coverage, but our power company installed the smart meter anyhow and just do readings every 2 months. We were advised about it maybe a couple of years ago and they came out to install the meter not realising that we didn't have mobile coverage. They went away again and didn't revisit it for a number of months. Am not sure if we're getting charged any extra for the manual reading - will be very annoyed if we are as neither the smart meter regime or the lack of mobile service is our fault.

Just a diversion on the subject of pricing, doesn't it make you mad that when you try to cut down usage to keep your bills manageable, the power company up's the daily rate so you can't make any headway!!!! I really envy those who are off-grid...
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #459527 by wandering free

Mich;461036 wrote:
Just a diversion on the subject of pricing, doesn't it make you mad that when you try to cut down usage to keep your bills manageable, the power company up's the daily rate so you can't make any headway!!!! I really envy those who are off-grid...
Cheers, Mich.

As solar becomes cheaper it might not be long before it's worth doing like Akzle suggests.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #459530 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Smart meters anyone ?
we have no cell coverage, but genesis installed one anyway despite us saying it wouldn't work.. 6 months on and our power bill has sky rocketed.. I rang to enquire where they were getting the 'reading' from and they advised that as there was no cell coverage, they guessed how much power we were using based on last year![:(!]..
so I lodged the big complaint and got an actual person to come out..even the tech couldn't read the new meter because it kept dropping in and out,, eventually he got a reading and trotted off.. turns out we have been using a lot less power that they had been charging us for.. so that account has been corrected and we now have a actual reading done by and actual person every month..

I am pretty livid about the whole affair, given for 6 months we have been pretty skint with no income.. we certainly didn't need that palava [:(!][:(!][:(!]

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #459532 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Smart meters anyone ?

Megan;461017 wrote: Smart meters "talk" to their head office by cellphone. If you have no coverage for cellphones then you won't be getting a smart meter anytime soon.
Neither will we or anyone around us, for the very same reason.

I just love being out of cellphone range :D

Sorry to disappoint you Megan but even with no cell phone coverage we are getting them. Genisis has been in the area already for their customers. I am with Empower who are Contact Energy and we are definitely getting them even if they cant be remote read due to lack of coverage. They will still send a meter reader out when it needs to be done.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #459533 by ccrk9

eelcat;461018 wrote: We have one - long story - we had been here for some time when suddenly the farm shifted (!!) and became rural and so Genesis would only read our meter every 4 months - prior to this they had considered us as living in town and read one month and estimated the next. When I tried to talk to them, and explain that up until then we had been on town readings, they argued (despite their records showing otherwise) that we had been on 4 month readings all along, and that now as we had moved (our 6 acre block) to the country they would only send us a bill every 4 months. We accepted a Smart meter as a compromise and have had no problems with it. It is not on the house but on the side of the garage so well away from us.

eelcat that's damn weird as Genisis reade every 2nd month out here - I see the meter readers go to the properties who use Genisis. But then Genisis have always been a law to themselves - that's why I switched to Empower

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #459534 by ccrk9
will be doing some on line research later when my data rolls over as I am just about out. I really want to know if its true that we have to have them by 2015 due to Electricity Commission regulations.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #459538 by Maree M
Replied by Maree M on topic Smart meters anyone ?
Yep, I've just had a letter too that someone is coming in the next few months.

I've had a bit of experience with them - our meters at work were upgraded and our first bill was massive - there was a muck up between the old and the new system. Took a bit to sort. A workmate also had the same thing happen.

I also know an electrician locally who has just become a contractor for the upgrades - he has gots years of work ahead of him, so I don't think they'll all be done by 2015.

• Akzle
11 years 3 weeks ago #459542 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Smart meters anyone ?

wandering free;461039 wrote: As solar becomes cheaper it might not be long before it's worth doing like Akzle suggests.

i'd do it sooner, rather than later, before it's illegal, or priced out of the market by some kind of tinfoil hat conspiracy.

but panels are pretty easy to spot with those drones they're putting up...

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #459543 by morioka
Replied by morioka on topic Smart meters anyone ?
They came about a year ago to put ours in and the contractor looked at the meter box, scratched his head and said he couldn't install it because it was too old/not enough room. Oh well, never mind...

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #459550 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Smart meters anyone ?
Before they installed ours I asked about the numbers they were to using to charge us for estimated power - "we base it on last year's usage" - me - no you don't because there was a paddock here then - " we base it on the average neighbours' use" - me no you don't because our neighbours are empty paddocks, so tell me again how you base our power bill - " don't know, will ask" - me it seems like a random number - "yes well that seems right" - me, not on my account you don't!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds