Fencing Frustration

More
9 years 2 months ago #34817 by 3 girls farming
... went to check the very distant boundary fence yesterday and discovered the trees that were down over the fence (I had been told about them so they were not a surprise) but today went to clear them and discovered that the fence was virtually not there and there is a big drop out as well that I didn't know about..... after watching a very expert fencer at work I thought.... 'this will be a peace of doddle' ...... bloody hell - it certainly wasn't... what a job... did manage to get two wires extended and reattached (looks like nothing else on earth but it's holding.. ).. one more to do and then fix the dropout...

was totally exhausted when we came back to the house.. wish I hadn't lit the fire.. too hot for that...

so tomorrow if the light is still holding when I get home from work I'll get the top wire fixed (who on earth makes 10 wire fences!!!!) and look at how to repair the drop out... and then have a look at the other fence which looks pretty saggy and needs some permanent strainers added to it... never ending fencing issues... but I am learning some more very useful skills..

will sleep well tonight...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #458001 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Fencing Frustration
An expert at anything makes it look a doddle :D
Well done for getting it started

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
9 years 2 months ago #458402 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Fencing Frustration
A bit late but ..... before you put the permanent strainers in place, check that the wires over the full length of the fence have not broken. If there are any breaks, fix them with a neat figure 8 knot (practice on a piece of soft wire until you have got the hang of it, then test yourself on a piece of high tensile wire ...... I've tied hundreds of them ..... and have almost got the knot worked out).
Put the strainers in the middle of the fence that you want to tighten, in about the same place, and in the middle between two posts (if they are too close to a post then the post can get in the way).
By "drop-out" I guess you mean that the ground has slipped away. I try to fix these by putting in Y posts on each side, and attach netting to the posts, and attach the Y posts to the nearest stable post with a length of wire.

More
9 years 2 months ago #458445 by 3 girls farming
Replied by 3 girls farming on topic Fencing Frustration
Longridge.. no, certainly not too late.. only bought a bucket of permanent strainers today but haven't put them in yet.. I was thinking of putting them in beside the strainer post but then I would probably use two on each wire but with your system it will probably work better.. and use less of them......

the loose wires have been caused by fixing another huge dropout further down the fence which included adding wire (I presume as a professional did it .. not me) so up to the next strainer it's ok but following that the wires are 'baggy'.

we have cleared all the trees, shrubs etc out of the fence line so it's much cleaner now and just needs the addition of the permanent strainers....

now the drop out is another matter.. on the other side of the strainer post (small gate in between) and it's very steep so I can't imagine the cattle wanting to go into it... I was thinking of using hurricane wire (which I have a spare roll of) and some warratas to hold it in place because it's just too rough to fence around it like was possible with the previous dropout (oh, the joys of living on hill country!!!) Not sure what a Y post is.. is that a warrata?????

More
9 years 2 months ago #458446 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Fencing Frustration
Y post is a warratah, if you look down on the top of a warratah you'll see the Y shape

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
9 years 2 months ago #458447 by 3 girls farming
Replied by 3 girls farming on topic Fencing Frustration
I did suspect it was that.. but just to be sure... thanks..

So I think I'm probably planning to fix it in the correct way... my last drop out was fixed in a very flash way .. way too much for me to attempt...

More
9 years 2 months ago #458491 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Fencing Frustration
Sounds like you're doing a great job :)

hilldweller

More
9 years 2 months ago #458725 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Fencing Frustration
:) sounds like you on top of it 3gf :)
Am sure Wiltshire will be avaialble for advice as well at no charge :) as he knows your place well :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds