Bike lanes

More
9 years 4 months ago #458206 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Bike lanes
Aquila - you are living in fantasy land! With ten minute departures for buses in Auckland Central (hell Pukekohe would love some realistic public transport) the buses are empty outside peak travel time bar maybe one or two people on the bus. That is a good use of energy?

If you lived in the rural areas and these lycra clad idiots are riding on a 100kph road three abreast in a bunch of 20 cyclists and you come around a corner with horses on your truck- screw them! I have never had an accident but near as and I would not have an issue with taking them out before myself, my kids and my horses. Guess why? They are breaking the Law - not me. Bear in mind, with horses, we always slow for corners so they are lucky for that!

Igor, I think you are protected where you live from the reality of just what a major problem is being created from the "it is my right" brigade here in Auckland when they are breaking the Law riding two abreast but take them out and who gets prosecuted? Get off the damn roads and leave it to the lethal weapons -cars and trucks. I have no sympathy for them is they get wiped out. They knowingly take the risk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #458209 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Bike lanes
I think all drivers would be better if a requirement of drivers licence testing was at least a year of cycling for transport.

Judging all cyclists by the sunday lycra crowd is the same as judging all drivers by boy racers.

Cycle lanes next to pedestrians are not safer unless all pedestrians are made to indicate before turning across cycle lanes. Unlikely...

More
9 years 4 months ago #458212 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Bike lanes
Didi here in chch buses are every 15 minutes during the day and always half full. Having said that an open trailer would be luxurious in comparison, at least it would have good airflow.

I hate cyclists with a passion. They take up all the road, get in front of vehicles moving away from traffic lights which slows them down and cyclists think they are bulletproof riding up to 5 abreast on tight windy roads.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
9 years 4 months ago #458227 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Bike lanes
making a combined walkway/cycleway doesn't work either, pushbikes zooming in and around people who cannot hear them coming from behind is an accident waiting to happen.

Just bring on a better public transport system between employment hotspots with good secure carparking.

More
9 years 4 months ago #458238 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Bike lanes

swaggie;459602 wrote: making a combined walkway/cycleway doesn't work either, pushbikes zooming in and around people who cannot hear them coming from behind is an accident waiting to happen.

But if you look at the video they are combined on one side of the street but they still have their own area to ride or walk in and even if they are combined cyclists should use their bells or just shout a warning but they're some total idiots on bikes.

There seems to be this miss-conception that cyclist or walkers are using the roads and not paying their way but half the cost of roads in rural areas get payed for by the rate payer, as for costs this is what Wikipedia says about NZ roads funding.......

As of 2010, transport funding in New Zealand is still heavily biased towards road projects – the National government proposes to spend $21 billion on roading infrastructure after 2012, yet only $0.7 billion on other transport projects (public transport, walking and cycling.

Then they will need maintenance. mmmm:rolleyes:

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
9 years 4 months ago #458240 by max2
NZ has a relatively small tax paying population so it makes sense to put that tax payer $$ towards what would benefit the majority.
I cannot think of any one group of people who could not use public transport (apart from those of us who are rural with a workload rural based) but not everyone can ride a bike or have use for a cycleway, whereas I can see immediate benefit by having a better public transport system esp for workplace commuters from the outer regions.

I'm not saying a cycleway is a bad idea (although I think you would be battling to get some riders riding respectfully of others, that track down south where the guy was pulled off his bike as he wouldn't allow others to pass is a prime example) I just believe taxpayer $$'s could be utilised more efficiently right now for a greater number.

• germanshepherd
9 years 4 months ago #458244 by germanshepherd
Replied by germanshepherd on topic Bike lanes
I don't know about other parts of the country but the racing cyclists around here have absolutely no care for the road code at all.They get in a bunch instead of two together and they will not let vehicles past.These idiots should be at the velodrome.
I have been hit twice.Was a few years ago (and more).I will not ride on the road again.I ride on the foot path but I DO give way to people walking and i also behave responsible .

More
9 years 4 months ago #458248 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Bike lanes
You are indeed fortunate to have a footpath.

More
9 years 4 months ago #458256 by DiDi
wandering free - Google the waterfront from Central Auckland to St Heliers and tell me where this dream is going to go? We have what we have which on the whole are narrow roads in Auckland and you plan may be great for the rebuild of Christchurch with a blank canvas but forget it in Auckland.

Imagine when John Key gets another 1million Chinese tourists? into NZ in five years and for subsequent years. Anybody riding a bike would have to be a total brain dead (already) idiot.

Incidentally, I was on the Waterfront today and yes - two female cyclists (in this case) holding up all the traffic as they rode two abreast past parked cars. Where are the Police? They should be prosecuted!

More
9 years 4 months ago #458288 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Bike lanes

DiDi;459634 wrote: wandering free - Google the waterfront from Central Auckland to St Heliers and tell me where this dream is going to go? We have what we have which on the whole are narrow roads in Auckland

You could always ban the car in the city and make car-parks on the outskirts, they could then use public transport or walk or cycle, it's the car that causes the congestion.

I can't see what the attraction is of living in Auckland, do like we did, leave, we only stuck it for 6 months, we arrived in 1967 and were in Nelson by the following year, when you move 12000 miles it's perhaps easier to move to somewhere else, no roots put down.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
9 years 4 months ago #458321 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic Bike lanes
What the 70+++ woman about town is driving this year.

Great for a couple of weeks groceries. :D

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/459707=12218-buggy2 006.jpg[/img]

Recovering Lifestyler

More
9 years 4 months ago #458329 by DiDi
Wandering free - what would you deem the outskirts of Auckland? Pukekohe is in the Greater Auckland area and it is 53 kilometres into the city. There is virtually no public transport from Pukekohe to Auckland so just what are the outskirts?

I do a 100km round trip every week to take my 96 year old mother to the Bank, grocery shopping, Chemist etc. So how would that work? She needs the support and there is never EVER going to be public transport to support this demographic. The nearest bus stop to her Retirement Village is 1k away and she struggles to walk 50M. Is that the plan - to isolate the elderly? I hope not.

More
9 years 4 months ago #458330 by max2

wandering free;459669 wrote: You could always ban the car in the city and make car-parks on the outskirts, they could then use public transport or walk or cycle, it's the car that causes the congestion.

ditto what Didi just said... for those of us who make a twice a year journey with aging parents etc in our cars to Auckland central, how do you expect us to get my zimmer framed mother on a push bike or walk? Or my able bodied 87 yo father who tires easily? Want them to push and shove also on public transport for the twice a year visit? What happens when they reach their peak of aging excitement during their visit and want to go home? Shall we check out the timetable when we can actually get home?

Where will these great car parks be if we cannot get decent carparks now for commuters?

For sure the single occupier rubber necking car causes much congestion, thus get decent public transport for the majority of users such as employees up and running pronto. Cycleways will not put an end to car congestion.

More
9 years 4 months ago #458335 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Bike lanes

swaggie;459718 wrote: ditto what Didi just said... for those of us who make a twice a year journey with aging parents etc in our cars to Auckland central, how do you expect us to get my zimmer framed mother on a push bike or walk? Or my able bodied 87 yo father who tires easily?

Got a whip?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
9 years 4 months ago #458354 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Bike lanes

DiDi;459717 wrote: Wandering free - what would you deem the outskirts of Auckland? Pukekohe is in the Greater Auckland area and it is 53 kilometres into the city. There is virtually no public transport from Pukekohe to Auckland so just what are the outskirts?

I do a 100km round trip every week to take my 96 year old mother to the Bank, grocery shopping, Chemist etc. So how would that work? She needs the support and there is never EVER going to be public transport to support this demographic. The nearest bus stop to her Retirement Village is 1k away and she struggles to walk 50M. Is that the plan - to isolate the elderly? I hope not.

Doesn't it strike you that building a Retirement Village at an inconvenient distance from public transport, shops and other services is the stupid thing? I know that within Christchurch the Homes that are very near shopping areas are the ones where the residents are much happier and remain more independent for longer.

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds