Bike lanes

More
9 years 2 months ago #34815 by wandering free
Bike lanes was created by wandering free
It's a pity we don't separate the cars from the cyclists as they are doing now in cities in the US.
www.amara.org/en/videos/eT1q8uLBQLc8/info/
This makes a lot more sense than the death traps we call cycle ways in New Zealand, it has always seemed mad to me to have the cycle ways on the out side of parking areas instead of the inside next to the foot path with a gap for the cars to open their doors with no danger to the cyclist, we were witness to an accident in Tahuna when a cyclist was knocked off into the rush hour traffic and was very lucky to survive.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Akzle
9 years 2 months ago #457975 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Bike lanes
bugger that. cyclists shouldn't be on the road.

what the hell kind of mad bastard wants to cycle anyway???

More
9 years 2 months ago #457976 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Bike lanes
Its bad enough they are on the roads in town, try passing some on the road too akaroa....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
9 years 2 months ago #457987 by Scuba_Steve
Replied by Scuba_Steve on topic Bike lanes
Wouldn't it just be cheaper & better for all if we simply taught people how to use the road & denied them a licence until they were capable of doing so?

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

More
9 years 2 months ago #457990 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Bike lanes
No, I don't agree SS - a road near us is windy and narrow - loved to bits by cyclists - even driving at a slow speed one comes round a corner to find a cyclist going (naturally) much slower than oneself in front of one - no room to pass (yellow lines anyway) - it is no wonder there are accidents - our roads are not designed in many cases for cars and bikes.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
9 years 2 months ago #457998 by Scuba_Steve

eelcat;459346 wrote: No, I don't agree SS - a road near us is windy and narrow - loved to bits by cyclists - even driving at a slow speed one comes round a corner to find a cyclist going (naturally) much slower than oneself in front of one - no room to pass (yellow lines anyway) - it is no wonder there are accidents - our roads are not designed in many cases for cars and bikes.

But if it's that narrow to start, how are they gonna fit a bike lane on it anyways?
Something I noticed from that vid was it was all about inner city type areas & not the type of narrow streets we see in the likes of Wellington city either

More
9 years 2 months ago #458014 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Bike lanes
In parts of Nelson and Richmond they have cycle ways on both sides of the road, I can see a distinct advantage in having both cycle ways on one side of the road, next to the pavement and on the inside of parked cars, the cyclist nearest the parking would be riding facing the front of the car, the passenger would be on the side nearest the cyclist and looking straight at them, instead of the driver having to squint into his rear view mirror to see if any one is coming up behind him, to me it seems stupid the way it is now.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,

More
9 years 2 months ago #458082 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Bike lanes
Sorry but no to cyclists sharing the road and the massive amount of tax payer money in Auckland going into this ridiculous scenario.

That is also why most areas have Velodromes! Do the All Blacks practise on the road? Do the Netballers practise on the road? Do the Swimmers practise on the road? NO! They go and use the appropriate Council provided facilities for their sport and Public Roads with cars and trucks is not appropriate. Go use a Velodrome!

More
9 years 2 months ago #458110 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Bike lanes
You have entirely missed the point DiDi. I believe that the intention of WF's original post was with regard to bicycles as a means of transportation, not cycling as a sport.

More
9 years 2 months ago #458148 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Bike lanes

igor;459477 wrote: You have entirely missed the point DiDi. I believe that the intention of WF's original post was with regard to bicycles as a means of transportation, not cycling as a sport.

That's right, if you check the net oil not gross oil you will see things are going to have to change very shortly, and we should be doing all we can to wean ourselves off the car as a means of transport and the easiest way is to make cycling safe.

I would go even further and make dedicated cycle/walkways free from cars a priority in all our cities, cars are the most inefficient for of transport ever invented.

More
9 years 2 months ago #458171 by Scuba_Steve

wandering free;459518 wrote: That's right, if you check the net oil not gross oil you will see things are going to have to change very shortly, and we should be doing all we can to wean ourselves off the car as a means of transport and the easiest way is to make cycling safe.

I would go even further and make dedicated cycle/walkways free from cars a priority in all our cities, cars are the most inefficient for of transport ever invented.

Then shouldn't the cyclists pay for said cycleways like motor vehicles pay for the roads? I got nothing against the general cyclist (lycra brigade is a different story) but if they want dedicated roads they should pay to support them like most other forms of transport

& I'm not sure how you get to cars being the most inefficient form of transport?
Trains & planes are much less efficient so too can busses be & depending on how you look at efficiency it could be argued that cars are more efficient than cycles. One of the best rated modes of transport is motorbikes

More
9 years 2 months ago #458172 by Aquila

Scuba_Steve;459543 wrote: One of the best rated modes of transport is motorbikes

Best in terms of? Economy? I would think a 40 seat bus full of people wouldn't be bad per person.

More
9 years 2 months ago #458179 by Scuba_Steve

Aquila;459544 wrote: Best in terms of? Economy? I would think a 40 seat bus full of people wouldn't be bad per person.

overall; they're fuel efficient, fast, compact, & convenient.

Busses have the problem of having to run empty, restricted destinations, not being that fuel efficient in the 1st place especially the ones with luxuries onboard like AC. Might be better than a car at peak if it only ran at peak, but they have to run all day everyday regardless of passenger numbers

More
9 years 2 months ago #458181 by Aquila

Scuba_Steve;459552 wrote:
especially the ones with luxuries onboard like AC.

You haven't been on public transport in a while aye? Luxury and public transport don't go together

More
9 years 2 months ago #458197 by Scuba_Steve

Aquila;459554 wrote: You haven't been on public transport in a while aye? Luxury and public transport don't go together

Some of the Wellington busses like the Airport flyers have wifi & AC, in-fact alot of the Wellington City busses have AC at minimum.
Whether you still consider AC a luxury in this age is a different story I suppose

Time to create page: 0.364 seconds