I've thrown in the day job...

More
9 years 3 months ago #34719 by max2
In keeping with ''God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference...." I resigned from my day job (for those that knew where I worked) the other week and looking forward to my day life taking a different direction by being here at home.

Following a succession of overnighting visitors I am on my own for the first time since quitting and feeling a tad hollow (although pleased the washing that comes with having visitors to stay is almost done).

I am planning on getting stuck into the garden, trying new recipes and we have a huge amount of fencing to undertake over the next few months.

I have promised to get myself out regularly for a ''me'' trip.

For those quilters amongst you I also want to start sewing another quilt this winter and will go along to our local craft group to see what they are all doing as well as a visit to Grandmas garden at Gordontown.

I thought I would ask those who have thrown in the towel at the external place of employment how you felt and what did you get up to when you left the job?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #456970 by igor
Replied by igor on topic I've thrown in the day job...
Wish I could afford to do the same swaggie. I would miss the crew at the office (well most of them) but I would get a lot more done at home.

More
9 years 3 months ago #456973 by cantabcook
I did the same thing several years ago now Swaggie. BEST decision I ever made. A bit of a culture shock when the money isn't flowng in the same but I was stressed to the eyeballs and have never regretted leaving work.

There has always been some kind of project on to keep me busy including computer courses, food and wine courses (a 4 month one when I first chucked it all in), building raised vege gardens, putting up glasshouse, plant propogation course (starts tonight), project managing our last house build..........

My theory is if I'm at home and not earning money I can at least be saving us money. So I grow lots of our veges from seed and try to keep on top of the vege gardens and fruit trees. Heaps of bottling, preserving, jams, freezing, home baking, bread making which I never seemed to get time for when working. I can help out at school with the kids when they need it (and they always do). Have also done the odd stint of contracting work. Its amazing how fast your day fills in and I don't seem to get much sit down time.

All the best to you. I'm sure you'll find heaps to do on your lsb. My current wee project is pulling together the house plans and contractors for our lsb build. I'm expecting I will never run out of things to do once we move there. ;)

More
9 years 3 months ago #456984 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic I've thrown in the day job...

igor;458225 wrote: Wish I could afford to do the same swaggie. I would miss the crew at the office (well most of them) but I would get a lot more done at home.

I'm a bit worried about that too, but like Cantabcook I plan on hooking into the vege patch and broadening my cooking skills to save where I can. I found I was buying lunch every day which added to the outgoings.

More
9 years 3 months ago #456985 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic I've thrown in the day job...
I worked part-time at the local College for several years and it was the social contact I missed when no longer there. The spare time was filled in very quickly, because it was time pressures (and the fact that the lab environment was poisoning my body and I was getting really ill) that pushed me to give up the job.

I've found a number of other jobs I do from home since, which earn income and take up yet more time, but are flexible enough to fit around important times like cow mating and calving and lambing in the years we do that.

More
9 years 3 months ago #457019 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic I've thrown in the day job...
swaggie - don't lose sleep over it. I have been there too. Just take the time to figure out where your happiness button is. Yes to Igor's comment - you will miss the good people from where you worked and aside from that you will find a hollow feeling of almost panic. My advise is that if financially you and hubby can handle it them give that part of your life the middle finger.

I left the workforce when we were going into the recession and financially I could handle it. I was heard to tell people " there are so many more people out there with children to feed and mortgages to pay that they need the jobs more than I do". I believed that sincerely but I am not so sure down the line that we should not be more selfish in the world and look after ourselves first. I left it in a way to being too big a break (despite being happy) and I know you are younger than I am but my advise would be (in hindsight), don't isolate yourself in this new world that you find you have lost your confidence to be a valuable employee and deserve it. We are all well aware of the rubbish service we are receiving these days by paying the minimum wage. If you believe in yourself and your ability to add value and be respected for that to a Company, don't cut off your options. Hope that makes sense.

More
9 years 3 months ago #457040 by belinda_h
I've considered it in the past, but not right now. The problem is that I enjoy my job!! I've casually raised the idea of working from home with the boss, but he's really keen to have as many as possible in the office. And certainly the social contact side of it is really important too. But I do think that in a few years I might get more assertive about working from home, so I can spend some daylight hours on the property and paid work hours in the evening - in front of the fire with a glass of wine preferably.

More
9 years 3 months ago #457076 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic I've thrown in the day job...
Hi Swaggie - I'm really, really happy for you. Since my job moved to Auckland last October I've been at home and doing much as Cantabcook has, vege gardening, cooking from scratch, preserving, breadmaking etc - in short, trying to save money big-time. That's the only worrying downside for me, the dramatic drop in our cashflow. It is a big culture shock, but I've never been dependent on other people to enjoy life, although I do make time to get together with friends and former workmates. But, to be honest, I enjoy plenty of contact with people online and am really loving being mistress of my own universe and not having to work to someone else's timetable. DH is enjoying having a warm house, good food and a stressfree wife to come home to and, bless him, he's not said a word about me going back to work yet, although I really will need to at some point soon (assuming I can find a job).

Enjoy your new life - I'm sure you've deserved it.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
9 years 3 months ago #457139 by stephclark
hi swaggie.. thanks for posting.. i chucked in a job i had for 10years.. ( not enitirely plan A ) have been at home with NIL income since oct last year..i am panicing about the money ( or lack of it )..and realy miss the external people contact, but have been doing all the jobs that need doing that i would normally have paid someone else to do, so am saving there..
i didnt realise just how stressed i was and how it was affecting my health until i quit ..
i wouldnt have described it as culture shock with me, more grief.. so have been struggling with feeling depressed etc.. but am keeping up looking for work and keeping in touch with friends and family that i didnt have time for previously..
i am sure i will be able to look back and say.. "best move ever" but cant see that at the moment, but it is a journey and never know what might turn up next...

More
9 years 3 months ago #457153 by wandering free
I slowly drifted into retirement over a few years, started by only working a 3 day week and then worked from home as the old IBM golfball typewriters got replace by electronics, (I found the electronics to close and small for my eyesight, as you age your accommodation stops accommodating).

One thing we found was it costs more to work than you realize, from running a car to dressing for work, it is far less costly living at home and doing the garden so good luck and enjoy your new hard labor,[;)] sorry retirement.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
9 years 3 months ago #457200 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic I've thrown in the day job...
Good point wandering free - the cost of being employed! People really don't add in simple form the cost of getting to work and yes maybe you are earning $100 a day but take out $20 a day in vehicle running cost (not just petrol) and yes you are better off by $80 a day and then take tax out of that incuding ACC and Kiwisaver? and yes, $ in the hand you are better off by how much?

Not being a family now (mine are adults) how much can you get from one partner working from Working For Families benefit?. No idea but this is how our world is going isn't it? If people can be quoted saying they are on $100,000 a year and can't survive without WFF, then what kind of screwed world are we in?

More
9 years 3 months ago #457211 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic I've thrown in the day job...
Actually, DiDi, you make a very good point above about losing confidence in one's skills and 'employability'. Thinking more about what others on this thread have said, that's one issue that I've found to be true in my case.

I've been in the workforce for 40 years competently doing a range of office-based jobs, being regularly promoted etc and never being without a job. I've got a good skill set and a 'customer service' attitude that you'd think employers would kill for. But in the relatively short time I've been out of work I've found that hearing about all the skilled people that can't get an interview for even simple jobs, all the layoffs, new school leavers coming on board, age discrimination etc, my confidence in being able to pick up a job has zoomed way down the scale to the point where I'm absolutely dreading looking. It's not the effort required in looking that's the issue, but the feeling of worthlessness that I'm sure will come if I can't pick something up.

The other thing that concerns me is that my DH and I have always shared the responsibility for bringing in our income. All of a sudden he's bearing that on his own and I worry about the pressure that's going to put on him as we really start to struggle to make ends meet on less than half the figure DiDi mentioned in her last post.

So it's really a double-edged sword for us - wonderful for me being home, but at a significant and not just financial cost. However, there IS an upside - you realise that you can do without so many of the unnecessary and wasteful things that we're constantly being encouraged to buy, and just how pleasurable a simple life can be, where as long as you can meet the mortgage, insurances, rates, electricity and phone bills, and can feed yourself from your garden and animals, you're doing well.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
9 years 3 months ago #457214 by Kilmoon
Know where you are all coming from. I went back to university to retrain - came out with a phd in 2011....and have been semi-retired ever since! I call it semi-retired simply because if I say unemployed then it just makes me depressed, saying semi-retired makes everyone else depressed! :D :D

I've managed to pick up short-term uni contracts ranging from a week to several weeks over the past few years, but its tough. The confidence gets knocked, you have people telling you that you are so good but if you can't get a job then they believe that something is actually wrong with you. I've had my MIL say I should lower my standards...I gritted my teeth during that conversation[}:)][:(!][:(!]: I've looked at cleaning (over qualified), at retail (too old), at McDees (too old AND over qualified)...I've even applied for positions and left any hint of academic success off the CV - came back I'm still too old!

On the good side, I've managed to get a hell of a lot of maintenance done around our place: the entire outside of the house has been painted, the inside being started now, fences have been fixed, spraying has been done etc. At least with me at home hubby can relax on weekends (as I've done everything during the week), though we have always been equal in bringing in the dosh and I see him stressing sometimes. The good thing is when we bought the parents in laws place I worked it out that we could manage it on one income (his), anything I earned would merely allow us to do the very delayed maintenance to the place. I find out next week if funding came through for me to work with one of my past supervisors for a few months....it will be good to get away from the place, but at the same time I have to spend $ on some better clothes :( :( and it means the inside will be delayed being finished. BUT it will give me the $ to finish the inside, plus purchase two sets of new french doors. :D

More
9 years 3 months ago #457220 by stephclark
i hear you mich and kilmoon.. 35 years in business management, 2 degrees and cant even get an interview.. :( .. I too have 'dumbed down' my cv just to apply for a admin office work and still nothing.. getting very depressed and confidence at an all time low..
I don't have a OH that can assist on the income front.. in fact I have been the sole breadwinner for years, going backwards fast and we are now considering having to sell our wee bit of paradise :( :( :(
having said that, there is no point in me taking a 40k job in the city, when the cost of getting there is more than that.. I also consider a 2 hour trip each way ( motorway traffic ) to negate any financial benefit...
I did a wee calculation, and found that realistically it costs in the region of 30kpa more to work in the city than to work locally..
OH is a double degree holding computer programmer.. cant even get a help desk job.. all the new graduates coming thru why would someone employ an old man with only 8 years working life till retirement.. grrrrr

More
9 years 3 months ago #457226 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic I've thrown in the day job...

stephclark;458495 wrote: ...all the new graduates coming thru why would someone employ an old man with only 8 years working life till retirement.. grrrrr

Because the old guy is likely to stick with them for all of those eight years, saving them re-employment costs when three or four of the new grads go on to pastures greener ...

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds