Daylight Saving

More
11 years 1 month ago #34717 by Stikkibeek
Daylight Saving was created by Stikkibeek
I for one will be glad to see the end of Daylight saving. Although there is still a reasonable amount of light at the end of the day, I am really hating getting up for work, when it is still so dark.
Found I'd put my shirt on inside out, getting dressed in the dark the other day (Trying not to wake OH as he was on late shift) Just as well I'm not superstitious, or I might have had to wear it that way all day.

I think the extended daylight saving is a huge nuisance. Winters are long enough and it seems as if they are being extended too. Wish it was going back to normal time over Easter, but I see it is Sunday 7 April at 3am. One thing I do know is that I will not be awake to see normal time in at that hour!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #456932 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Daylight Saving
Sorry but can't agree with you at all. I don't have a problem getting dressed in the dark but even if I did, the bedside lamp would hardly stir the OH. I don't have a problem finding the cows and the shed does have this modern thing called electricity. Few people do much other than to get ready for work in the early hours of the morning. Most can find plenty to do in the evenings.

I wonder how many people are aware of the fact that we have a 1 hour permanent daylight saving anyway. It came in during the war and was never revoked. I, for one, living in the NI would be most unhappy about darkness at 4.30pm and I'm sure that those in the SI would be even more unhappy.

Cheers,
Ronnie

• Akzle
11 years 1 month ago #456938 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Daylight Saving
i think it's a stupid idea all round. move it half an hour (to the middle) and stop f*ing with clocks. ever again!

More
11 years 1 month ago #456941 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Daylight Saving
love it, get so much done in the evenings, especially while we have such fabulous weather.
still have time to get the days work done and fit in a lovely eveinng walk on the beach but not time for that once day light saving ends.
Getting up in the dark is a small price to pay for the longer daylight hours we have at the moment
You will be getting up in the dark in winter anyway so whats the deal.
Put your clothes together in another room and go into there and get dressed with a light on , simple i would have thought
Try living up by the arctic circle where the sun comes up at 10 in the morning and sets at 3, further north no sun at all during the winter
We should be really grateful for the daylight hours we get and these evenings have certainly been one out of the box

More
11 years 1 month ago #456943 by diggs
Replied by diggs on topic Daylight Saving
Should be permanent.

Kapiti

More
11 years 1 month ago #456947 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Daylight Saving
I agree with Akzle, the time shouldn't be mucked around and everyone should get used to expecting that in winter its shorter daylight hours and summer visa versa. Thats the beauty of living in a seasonal environment.

We tittle with mother nature enough, I am well for leaving the clocks alone.

More
11 years 1 month ago #456948 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Daylight Saving
Agree with Akzle, diggs and swaggie. Stick with the same all year round. It would be nice if we could all get closer to nature and sleep when it is dark and be active when it is light but then we would get little done in the Winter.
muri, you are not getting longer daylight hours due to daylight saving. You are getting just the same number of daylight hours as you would get in any other time zone. They just start at a different time on the clock.

More
11 years 1 month ago #456958 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Daylight Saving
i am with stikkibeek... it goes on too long .. cant stand the cold dark starts, and after a long day.. who has the energy to do anything in the evening anyway?..

would rather get up with the sun and go to bed when the sun sets.. ( ok i go to bed early :D )..

More
11 years 1 month ago #456966 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Daylight Saving

Stikkibeek;458179 wrote: I for one will be glad to see the end of Daylight saving. Although there is still a reasonable amount of light at the end of the day, I am really hating getting up for work, when it is still so dark.
Found I'd put my shirt on inside out, getting dressed in the dark the other day (Trying not to wake OH as he was on late shift) Just as well I'm not superstitious, or I might have had to wear it that way all day.

I think the extended daylight saving is a huge nuisance. Winters are long enough and it seems as if they are being extended too. Wish it was going back to normal time over Easter, but I see it is Sunday 7 April at 3am. One thing I do know is that I will not be awake to see normal time in at that hour!

Akzle;458191 wrote: i think it's a stupid idea all round. move it half an hour (to the middle) and stop f*ing with clocks. ever again!

swaggie;458200 wrote: I agree with Akzle, the time shouldn't be mucked around and everyone should get used to expecting that in winter its shorter daylight hours and summer visa versa. Thats the beauty of living in a seasonal environment.

We tittle with mother nature enough, I am well for leaving the clocks alone.

igor;458201 wrote: Agree with Akzle, diggs and swaggie. Stick with the same all year round. It would be nice if we could all get closer to nature and sleep when it is dark and be active when it is light but then we would get little done in the Winter.
muri, you are not getting longer daylight hours due to daylight saving. You are getting just the same number of daylight hours as you would get in any other time zone. They just start at a different time on the clock.

I am with these guys on this:eek:....hated milking the cows at changeover time forward OR back .....leave the clocks alone[}:)] Maybe a poll to see where we all stand[;)]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
11 years 1 month ago #456967 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Daylight Saving
I don't understand the complaints about dark starts because of daylight savings: sunrise at the last day during daylight saving time is still earlier than it will be in the middle of winter, and it isn't nearly as bad as then, because it isn't as cold.

Are the people who don't like Daylight Saving naturally morning people?

More
11 years 1 month ago #456968 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Daylight Saving
More than likely natural whiners.....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Akzle
11 years 1 month ago #456979 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Daylight Saving
i'm usually awake ~ an hour before sunrise, winter or summer.

and i like being "solar powered" (literally and figuratively) - when it's dark, i go to bed (although the kids have a "10 stars" rule - when i can see 10 stars -bedtime for them) (unfortunately i'm blind, but they seem keen to count them for me... maybe i beat them too much...)

igor;458201 wrote: ...all get closer to nature and sleep when it is dark and be active when it is light but then we would get little done in the Winter.

not necessarily. how may hours "real work" do you do in a day?
and the other thing, the planet (and humans along with it) have evolved to do certain things at certain times, eat certain things in certain seasons etc. we are part of a symbiotic relationship with the universe, mann!. yes, modern society has come up with many things to counteract and avoid it, global shipping means we can eat pineapple in the middle of winter, aircon means we don't have to sweat in summer, but that doesn't mean we've evolved for it.
i agree 110% (yes, 110% does exist) humans are a part of nature and would be a damn sight healthier if they acted like it.

stephclark;458211 wrote:
would rather get up with the sun and go to bed when the sun sets.. ( ok i go to bed early :D )..

i'm happy being active at night, some nights. but not all nights. i sleep when tired, eat when hungry.
it's a good way to be.

More
11 years 1 month ago #456982 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Daylight Saving

Hawkspur;458222 wrote: ...Are the people who don't like Daylight Saving naturally morning people?

I think you may have the answer. I love daylight saving because I'm very definitely an afternoon/evening person. I often start working cattle (drench/copper/vaccinations etc.) at 5pm. I excuse it by talking about the heat fading rather than increasing at that time of day, but it's partly simply that it suits my energy patterns better than doing it earlier. The extended daylight hours during summer make that more possible than it would otherwise be.

Fortunately these days I work for myself, rather than someone else's business clock.

If we didn't have daylight saving, I'd never get to go out to dinner with anyone else, because they'd be expecting me to arrive in what would amount to the middle of my working day! [8D]

More
11 years 1 month ago #457012 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Daylight Saving
You are wrong thinking I am whining about daylight saving. I have seen the benefits of it when dairying, but this extended daylight saving is as aready said, "a nuisance" . I am very much a morning person, as I tend to wake with the first change of light. That's not the problem. I dislike the long dark winter mornings. I see no need to deliberately lengthen them.
And as for getting dressed in a different room???! Huh! If you knew our house, you'd know how ridiculous that sounds!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 1 month ago #457016 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Daylight Saving
Why do you think wardrobes have doors?

I do conclude, annually, that DS lasts a week or two too long, since it was extended. (Was that only within the last five years?) It starts at about the right time, but stops just a little too late. There's something about the speed at which the light is closing in in the evenings which suddenly indicates the time has come.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds