How to deal with annoying telemarketers

More
10 years 11 months ago #34712 by shad297

(This is 5 mins long but very funny if you have the time) :D

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #456849 by SarahM
The latest one we are getting is Indian or Asian accented people wanting us to do a survey..... and probably wanting our credit card details too.... not that they get very far.

We've resorted to switching our phone to just 2 rings during the evening meal, then it goes straight to answerphone. Anyone serious/genuine will leave a message. They really do ring at the most inconvenient time - usually when I'm trying to entertain our two children and cook tea.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
10 years 11 months ago #456850 by muri
Have a whistle and blow it down the line, its supposed to be very effective

More
10 years 11 months ago #456851 by igor
What part of goodbye do they not understand?

More
10 years 11 months ago #456861 by Aquila
Caller id and answer any unknown number with Hello, christchurch police station. People don't ring back

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
10 years 11 months ago #456880 by KaiapoiKen
Shad297, that's a classic. We've been getting these annoying callers too. We just say that we are their son or daughter and the person they want is deceased and we are just cleaning out the house ready for sale. That usually leads to a bit of "ohhing" and a how very sorry they are to disturb us at such a time.

More
10 years 11 months ago #456895 by eelcat
:D

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
10 years 11 months ago #456929 by Stikkibeek
I recently got a call from a ventilation systems company. He claimed that he had already met with me and was doing a courtesy follow-up call. At that point, having had this kind of marketing sprung on me before. I said" Stop right there. I put it to you that you are nothing but a Bl@@dy liar!. No such meeting has taken place." He back tracked a bit and claimed it was a conversation on the telephone. I again called him nothing but a Bl@@dy liar, and that I had better things to do with my time than listen to such drivel from unscrupulous marketers, and that if he ever called again, I would report him to the commerce commission. Then I quietly hung up! :D
We are currently getting a recorded message that uses up the space on our answer phone. It is from a security company, but I have not bothered to listen to the whole spiel

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 11 months ago #456944 by frog
If you go to the NZ Marketing Association website you can get onto a 'do not call' list.
This gets rid of all companies who are signed up with them.
For everyone else I find that caller id and answer phone work great. If 'private caller' comes up and they don't leave a message, obviously they don't know us.

More
10 years 11 months ago #456949 by igor
I refuse to get an answering machine. If someone I want to speak to calls about something important they will keep trying until they get me. Anyone else I don't care.

More
10 years 11 months ago #456951 by BlueSkyBee
I don't get them luckily, but when I did, I used to say "Hang on a sec...." pop the phone down on the counter, get on with my life, and after a while, I'd simply put the phone back on the hook.

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

More
10 years 11 months ago #456960 by welshie
I just put the phone down on the table quietly and walk away. Eventually the little voices go away. [;)]

welshie

Don't worry about what people think...they don't do it very often.

More
10 years 11 months ago #456961 by stephclark
ha ha ha.. i have used a variety of the above methods, mood dependant.. as i am listed in the phone book early on ( C ).. i get alot of calls.. OH doesnt get any.. if they ask for Mrs Clark, i advise that she is dead.. well she is, mum died in 1982 :D .. no Mrs anything here :D

or if i am bored and in a mood, i will screw with their surveys just for the fun if it[;)]

yes you can get on the "do not call " list by registering with the Marketing Assoc ( formally Direct Marketing Assoc ).. not always successful

you can also take note of the callers Company and advise them not to call again.. if they do, you complain to the MA or Commerce Commission...
once they have been advised not to call again, they supposed to remove the number from their lists

More
10 years 11 months ago #456988 by kindajojo
I dont have a problem now ...had a few calls answered politely... yes happy to do their survey
I am a sole parent, income less than 20K, 6 children (Leroy you put your pants back on and stop chasing your sister with that thing) no car or appliances (no darlin its not a real snake)......what I am not in the demo what ???? you are looking for .........oh how sad too bad never mind you call back now........dont get many calls now and I enjoy them so much

More
10 years 11 months ago #457398 by katieb
if ive got the time I tend to string them along pretending I dont understand or that im interested by asking questions they cant answer

Ive had 1 guy hang up on me after 5mins so when the company called back I said the last person hung up not interested please remove from calling..... next one got "ive already been told I would be removed from calling list"

1 I even got the girl in trouble with her manager! she was from SpiritTelco but she kept calling it Spirit Telecom & said it could be called both so when I spoke to manager I told him this was misleading as all I heard when I answered was telecom, he said she was wrong & he was very sorry thanks for letting him know, he will talk 2 her blah blah are you interested... I said no sorry his staff member had put me off haha

A few weeks ago I kept getting the silent calls on my mob from some strange country code, caller wouldnt say anything & hang up after 10secs so after a few of these I was going to either scream or get the German girl staying to answer.... when I did get the call I didnt say anything just put it on speaker & sat there & waited....after 10secsl someone started saying hello, hello, hello then waited ...I said nothing then they hung up
no calls since :)

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds