Freebie native tree seedlings - North Otago

More
9 years 3 months ago #34575 by helen55
I've got lots of native dogwood (well that's what I think they are) trees popping up in my garden. Free to anyone who wants to come out to Hilderthorpe and dig/pull some up. :)

I should have noted that they are not all tiny - some are around 2' tall (that's feet not metres).

And there are some kowhai, too ...

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #455361 by Denneaux
Oooh pick me! Pick me!

Sent from my SK17a using Tapatalk 2

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
9 years 3 months ago #455489 by helen55

Denneaux;456471 wrote: Oooh pick me! Pick me!

Ok ... I'll pick you. But I'd be happier if I could find someone to 'pick' some of the little trees otherwise they'll be heading on a trip to the compst bin :( .

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

More
9 years 3 months ago #455518 by Denneaux
I meant I'd like to come get your plants.

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
9 years 3 months ago #455541 by helen55

Denneaux;456640 wrote: I meant I'd like to come get your plants.

Oops[:I] I'll PM you to arrange a pick up day and time.

Thanks
Helen

More
9 years 3 months ago #455679 by helen55
I've just found out that the seedlings/juvenile trees are actually lacebark/hoheria not dogwoods

More
9 years 3 months ago #456160 by helen55
There are still dozens of seedling trees waiting to go to a new home ...

More
9 years 3 months ago #456189 by jennym
hoheria augustifola or hoheria populnea?

there s quite a difference.

More
9 years 3 months ago #456239 by helen55

jennym;457386 wrote: hoheria augustifola or hoheria populnea?

Sorry, I wouldn't have a clue (natives aren't my thing) but the parent trees are huge - 6 or 7 metres tall. Having said that, they are probably 50 or more years old.

More
9 years 3 months ago #456240 by helen55

jennym;457386 wrote: hoheria augustifola or hoheria populnea?

I've googled the 2 types and I'm guessing mine are augustifolia- they seem to be common on the South Island.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds