Cordless phone

More
9 years 3 months ago #34563 by Drainz
Cordless phone was created by Drainz
Hey all

We're after a good long-rangecordless phone set that'll at least work well in the barn - about 30m away from the house. Further out in the paddocks would be better. Much further down the other end of the property would be fantastic. Any recommendations?

I know this has been brought up here before but it's at least three years ago and the models that worked then can't be bought now, from what I can tell. Anyway, any suggestions gratefully paid attention to!

Best

Si

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #455185 by Scuba_Steve
Replied by Scuba_Steve on topic Cordless phone
General rule Uniden is a much better choice than Panasonic
Lower frequencies (Mhz/Ghz) will get better range if not pure line of sight.

And the 7/14 day return is your friend (providing it's convenient enough) as phones are environment affected.

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

More
9 years 3 months ago #455187 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Cordless phone
You live in the country, get an answering machine and tell people you are busy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
9 years 3 months ago #455197 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Cordless phone
If it is important they'll call back. If not who cares?

More
9 years 3 months ago #455198 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Cordless phone
We have a home based roofing business and also like to be able to answer the phone if not too far down the paddock. We have gone through a couple of panasonics in our time, but the uniden we have had for a while now is excellent and I would buy another again.

More
9 years 3 months ago #455200 by Rata
Replied by Rata on topic Cordless phone
Just checked our panasonic KX-tg7321 that was the consumer recommended model 3 years ago. It carried the dial tone about 35 metres

More
9 years 3 months ago #455201 by spark
Replied by spark on topic Cordless phone

Scuba_Steve;456275 wrote: Lower frequencies (Mhz/Ghz) will get better range if not pure line of sight.

Definitely. A 900MHz "CT2" cordless is ideal if you can still find one for sale.

Metal and to a lesser extent concrete, blocks radio signals - if your house is clad with corrugated iron or traditional stuco (concrete plaster on chicken wire) then try putting the base station on a windowsill in the house where it has a clear line of sight to the barn.

If you have wifi or a wireless internet connection (usualy 2.4 GHz but sometimes 5.8 GHz) then buy a cordless phone that does not use these bands (so that it will not suffer interference from the wireless internet equipment). 900 MHz CT2 and 1.8 GHz DECT phones are usualy good choices.

On this subject, if you buy a 2.4 GHz cordless phone, keep the base station away from your microwave oven to prevent possible dropped calls when the microwave oven is in use (microwave ovens operate on 2.4 GHz and it does not take much leaking microwave energy to upset a cordless basestation).

Cheers

More
9 years 3 months ago #455205 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Cordless phone

Rata;456290 wrote: Just checked our panasonic KX-tg7321 that was the consumer recommended model 3 years ago. It carried the dial tone about 35 metres

We have the same model and I just checked it at the neighbors in full view of our house and I had a perfectly reception at 80 meters, pluss it has the answer phone built in.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
9 years 3 months ago #455402 by busholme
Replied by busholme on topic Cordless phone
Would agree with Uniden. I have an old DSS7815 series. It works in the shed (metal) about 40m from the house - not line of site with base. And does work up to about 60-70m away. Uniden also have a good series of ruggedised cordless phones.

30 - 50 Sheep, 6 chooks, 2 dogs, 1 cat and a wife - who wants highland cows, donkeys, ducks, alpacas etc [:D]

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds