Mosquito Nets

More
9 years 3 months ago #34490 by Toast
Mosquito Nets was created by Toast
It's that time of year &, of course, last summer's resolution about beating the mozzies this year obviously fell down a big black hole.

Have been bitten to death in the last few nights at home in bed. Neighbour's 10 month old bitten all over her face & hands last night.

Are the mosquito nets advertised by somewhere like Briscoes suitable?

I see some camping companies advertise them with permethrin in the mesh. Is that necessary?

Any advice gratefully received. My arms are bitten to death tonight & I haven't even got to bed.

Caolomine lotion is great but I'd rather not have to wake up & put it on!

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #454473 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Mosquito Nets
I think I'm still imported meat to the mozzies and like you the last few nights have been bad, I use Anthisan it gives some relief.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
9 years 3 months ago #454476 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Mosquito Nets
You'd wonder where the little blighters breed with such a long dry summer and no water lying about! Even our creek is dry, but walk through the garden any time of the day and get attacked, and of course at night time, one is fair game!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 3 months ago #454484 by ZummersetGirl
Replied by ZummersetGirl on topic Mosquito Nets
WF like you I am an import and get bitten +++ I react very badly and end up with wheals that are 3" round and boy, does it hurt :( . I don't like using chemicals but it has been too hot to wear a boiler suit socks and balaclava in bed ( fully covering up is the only non chemical way and even then I was bitten whilst going to the loo in the middle of the night[:(!]) and I haven' t found a mozzie net that would fit over our bed. Hubby would probably trip over it or strangle himself whilst getting out of bed :) I use the plug in mozzie repellant and put it on a timer so it only runs overnight.
There has been recent research to show that mozzies are repelled by DEET but after the first contact the mozzies start ignoring it. As DEET is the main chemical impregnated into mozzie nets for the malaria prone areas it is a worrying finding.

More
9 years 3 months ago #454488 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Mosquito Nets
Thanks, everybody. Last night a little better as it was slightly cooler. However, I'm heading to Briscoes next time I go to town to investigate the mozzie nets.

More
9 years 3 months ago #454489 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Mosquito Nets

ZummersetGirl;455495 wrote: WF like you I am an import and get bitten +++ I react very badly and end up with wheals that are 3" round and boy, does it hurt :( . I don't like using chemicals but it has been too hot to wear a boiler suit socks and balaclava in bed ( fully covering up is the only non chemical way and even then I was bitten whilst going to the loo in the middle of the night[:(!]) and I haven' t found a mozzie net that would fit over our bed. Hubby would probably trip over it or strangle himself whilst getting out of bed :) I use the plug in mozzie repellant and put it on a timer so it only runs overnight.
There has been recent research to show that mozzies are repelled by DEET but after the first contact the mozzies start ignoring it. As DEET is the main chemical impregnated into mozzie nets for the malaria prone areas it is a worrying finding.

People can't understand why I don't were shorts in the summer, but the less that's exposed the better as far as I'm concerned, the itching and swelling lasts for days.
We don't have any windows open at night, but we have a DVS system, it's a fan driven ventilation system in the ceiling that brings in fresh air, it works on a thermostat that switches on when the air temp in the roof space drops below 19C so not always much use on very hot nights, so just occasionally we have switched on the heat pump to cool the bedrooms when it has been too hot.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
9 years 3 months ago #454495 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Mosquito Nets
Toast, I do sympathise, i am not a fan of mozzies.
They seem to be able to breed in the slightest bit of moisture, nightly dew on leaves, a bit of water in the spouting.
I have fly screens, it saves a lot of sleepness nights where the drone of these little buzzards causes insomnia.
Windows without screens are shut before dusk.
Removing trees and shrubs from around the house goes a long way in reducing numbers.
Those little electric pads used to work for me, there are a number on the market.
You can also get small electric 'stones' in which you can burn essential oils and there are a number reputed to keep insects at bay such as lavender, citronella, tea tree etc.
The smell is very subtle and not overpowering

More
9 years 3 months ago #454591 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Mosquito Nets
Nets do the trick but it can be even hotter under them. I've been told that taking vit B will mean you are less likely to get bitten. I think its B1 but a Google search might be informative. Someone going to Vietnam where the usual malaria prophylactics are no longer effective, said that's what her dr. recommended.

More
9 years 3 months ago #454606 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Mosquito Nets
Ok, more info. Thanks. Been a lot less the last three nights - long may that last!

Still heading for the nets next time in town. At least I'll be prepared for next summer!

More
9 years 3 months ago #454610 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Mosquito Nets
Ee had nets in Auckland and they are good just make sure you tuck them in....
Also on a trip to the Solomons may people were just using Vitamin B and echinachea (sp) changes the acidly/smell of the skin so you are not as attractive to the mozzies.
Warehouse had them and Briscos

More
9 years 3 months ago #454639 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Mosquito Nets
Totally agree with the Vitamin B thread. I am the person everyone invites to their outdoor parties knowing everyone else will not suffer the mozzie attack - just me!

I won't go this far but my brother whose business meant working in native bush all day, took a tablespoon of Yeast every day to not get bitten. No idea what he smelt like ( I wasn't there) but it worked so maybe worth a thought?

More
9 years 3 months ago #454969 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Mosquito Nets

jeannielea;455615 wrote: Nets do the trick but it can be even hotter under them. I've been told that taking vit B will mean you are less likely to get bitten. I think its B1 but a Google search might be informative. Someone going to Vietnam where the usual malaria prophylactics are no longer effective, said that's what her dr. recommended.

malarial prophylactics are about the malaria getting you rather than preventing bites ...if the mozzies can still bite then they will. The drugs are about you getting the malaria - the drugs are not working because the malaria is resistent to them. so yes in many parts of Asia you need to be serious about not letting the mozzies bite you in the first place so that you do not catch the malaria they carry

I love animals...they're delicious

More
9 years 3 months ago #454970 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Mosquito Nets
If it is just bites you are worried about and it is happening in bed then a straight forward mozzie net should suffice. the permthrin impregnated ones are designed for high risk situation areas(such as malaria).
A net will keep them out...an impregnanted net will kill them when they touch the net...but the impregnation effect has a lifespan so you would need to keep treating it if that is your goal

I love animals...they're delicious

More
9 years 3 months ago #455048 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Mosquito Nets
Good point cowvet, I just presumed the Vit B would prevent bites too. Your comment reminds me of a Swiss doctor who works in Cambodia. Princess Anne came to visit his hospital and complained that he was spending money on expensive up to date equipment when simple things like mosquito nets would be much more useful. She was not happy when he replied that the main disease from mosquitoes in his area is dengue fever and they bite in the daytime so people would have to wear the nets all day!

More
9 years 3 months ago #456260 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Mosquito Nets
The plain mosquito netting is sufficient to use as a physical barrier to the mosquito regardless of whether you are in a disease free area or not.

Get one that is big enough to cover the whole bed. Keep it tucked in firmly around the bed like a tent, rather than having it drape loosely over the bed. Mosquitoes can bite you through the netting if it is just draped over you.
Keep the net in contact with the bed until the moment you lift it carefully to slip under it into bed, then tuck in the sides. Check the inside of the net with a torch to make sure there are no mozzies inside. Kill them if they are.

Avoiding being bitten is the key to surviving with mosquitoes.
The following tips are from spending nearly half my life in areas that have serious mosquito borne diseases... PNG, QLD, Vanuatu, Thailand, Cambodia and most recently, New Caledonia; 19mths in a strong Dengue Fever area.

Things you can do to slow mosquitoes down:
Dont wear perfumes or strong scents or deodorants; it attracts mosquitoes.
Dark colours attract mosquitoes.
Carbon dioxide attracts mosquitoes. (stop breathing... kidding).
Keep covered when the mozzies are out. Wear long sleeves and long slacks, socks etc.
Know when the mozzies will be out, what disease is prevalent in the area and in which season: malaria mozzies fly at night; Dengue mozzie fly early morning, during day and on dusk. Wet summers are worse for mosquitoes than dry winters.
As said previously, shut all non screened doors and windows at night, but preferrably in mid to late afternoon, before sun-down. Be cautious in the mornings.
If in an area where mosquitoes carry diseases, you may have to keep unscreened doors and windows shut all the time and rely on airconditioners.

Clear all vegetation away from house, especially thick trees and bushes, keep grass cut short.
Clear all items (good or rubbish) that collect water, away from dwelling area. This includes things like fallen palm fronds, fruit skins, leaf litter, pet drinking bowls (change water daily), check any water tanks and screen inlet and outlet of tanks, check any standing water and if it cant be drained, emptied or capped, consider putting a thin film of vegetable oil or kerosene over the water surface.

As to chemical repellants, do your research carefully before deciding if the chemical is one you are happy to live with... as a child, where we lived the government liberally used DDT spray to combat Malaria. I remember walls and ceilings and posts of village houses inside and out, being white with DDT... and people were expected to live in that toxic environment!

Mosquito coils can be burned in evenings, I had them but didnt use them.
Power point plug-in mosquito repellants are available which warm small paper chips impregnated with chemical or have liquids that vapourises with the warmth. Used at motels.
As you mentioned, chemical impregnated mosquito nets are available, but I'd research that chemical carefully as well, before introducing it to my home. I have never used the impregnated nets. And yes, they do have to be re-dipped on a regular basis to maintain their chemical coating.

Personal insect repellants such as Rid, Aerogard, and those containing DEET could be used. Personally I dont use those insect repellants and scarcely used the natural DEET free replacement.

A word of caution: Calamine Lotion contains Mercury which can be absorbed through the skin. I no longer use it.

Non-toxic Citronella oil can be used in scent burners or applied to skin or clothing,

The electrified "tennis racket" takes care of buzzing mosquitoes and produces great sparks when used at night. No need to know where the mozzie is, just follow the sound and wave the "wacket" till contact is made!

Make friends with Geckos and welcome them into your house. (I love the little guys).

Vitamin B1 is the one recommended as insect repellant, but it doesnt work for me. Neither does the entire B group deter them from my experience.

Lotions that can be used for bite relief:
Lavender pure essential oil,
Tea Tree pure essential oil,
Clove pure essential oil,
Crushed leaf juice of Plantain herb rubbed into bite.

Hope that helps you deal with the mosquito problem...

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds