Freeview set top boxes and Skye dishes ?

More
11 years 1 month ago #454531 by Stu_R
:) well Neale Aria's son was here for long time this morning :) ( hell of a nice guy :) ) and we used all his tricks and some of the ones i found on the net .. and couldnt improve what i already had ... :) but we tried and thats whats important :) ... went to Electronics shop here in town to ask who was the installer round here i should get and pay ... ( as i knew the shop lady well and have done for long long time ) was given a phone number who works for cash , doesn't need money up front :) :)
so he is calling me tomorrow and coming to fix it :) ... hopefiully :)

:) and i hope i learn lots and will pass on what i learn to Neale ( ammazzing what you can learn when you use your eyes and ears :) )

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #473017 by farmer.bro
Just wondering if you ever sorted this out?

I'm a bit of a techno geek and I also have the Zinwell ZMX 7500 and I'll have to say that it's the biggest piece of crap I've ever had to deal with. The manufacturer has since gone bust so there is absolutely no support whatsoever. I honestly believe that the non-freeview approved units you can get on TradeMe are much better.

It's took me ages to get Prime working... and then they recently went and changed the Prime frequency so had to do it all over again... Still can't get C4 working.

If you're still stuck, I can try and help you out as much as I can.

More
10 years 6 months ago #473069 by Muz1
Jeees Stu, I admire your patience!!
I would have gone to Warehouse and brought a new TV with freeview in it by now.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
10 years 6 months ago #473073 by GrantK

Muz1;475915 wrote: Jeees Stu, I admire your patience!!
I would have gone to Warehouse and brought a new TV with freeview in it by now.

Doesn't help if you're in an area without DTT (terrestrial) coverage Muz1, and this is much of the country, especially rural areas. The Freeview tuners built in to TV sets do not work with a satellite dish!

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
10 years 6 months ago #473076 by Muz1
Just buy the correct aerial?

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
10 years 6 months ago #473078 by Stu_R
Nope not sorted yet ... had guy round and he checked dish and it all lined up right .. got a brand new set top box from his van .. and tried that .. it gets some of the freeview but no where near what it should ,,, he says the problem is with the LNB thingy on my dish .. so am wait till i have $40 for the new LNB thingy and the $50 for him to come put it on and set it all up

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
10 years 6 months ago #473082 by GrantK

Stu_R;475924 wrote: Nope not sorted yet ... had guy round and he checked dish and it all lined up right .. got a brand new set top box from his van .. and tried that .. it gets some of the freeview but no where near what it should ,,, he says the problem is with the LNB thingy on my dish .. so am wait till i have $40 for the new LNB thingy and the $50 for him to come put it on and set it all up

My LNB failed about 18 months ago now and I replaced it myself. If I lived near you Stu, I would come and do it, as it's not a big job. At first it started failing on sunny days, with just a few channels affected, then got worse and worse until hardly anything worked. Hopefully you can get it replaced soon.

More
10 years 6 months ago #473098 by farmer.bro

GrantK;475929 wrote: If I lived near you Stu, I would come and do it, as it's not a big job.

Likewise, I'd also be happy to come around and help if I lived closer.

If it helps any, you can get a new LNB on TradeMe for $12.50 with free shipping.

It's definitely not a difficult job by any means, so have a go at it yourself first, will save you some money. The only really important thing to know is how to set the "skew" (the way the cable outlet points once it's in the holder) and you can see that in the attached picture. If you do get stuck, I'm sure GrantK or I can talk you through it.

And if you need help with programming your receiver, again, just holler as I know the crappy Zinwell boxes inside and out now [V] *sigh*.

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/475946=13126-LNB Skew.jpg[/img]

More
10 years 6 months ago #473105 by hogiehorse
If farmer.bro is talking about the $12.50 LNBs on Trade Me with free shipping, I think maybe he is referring to mike485 on Trade Me??? I have used this guy (lives in Whangarei) for a couple of things and he is extremely helpful and efficient in his dealings, and very fast at shipping too! Seems to sell lots of TV stuff, Freeview, Satellite dishes and that type of thing.

Good luck with getting it all sorted.

Hogiehorse
Quit lifestyling in September 2005 after 20 years but still ardent fan of this forum

More
10 years 6 months ago #473114 by GrantK
Sometimes you also need to buy a new mounting bracket if the throat diameter of your old LNB is different from the one you replace it with. Again, these don't cost much, and Farmer.Bro's diagram will apply to pretty much any single throat LNB used on Horizontal Polarisation with Optus D1 @ 160 degrees E. This is the satellite and polarisation used by all Freeview and Sky channels in NZ.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds