Census Forms

More
9 years 5 months ago #454046 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Census Forms
The online tool made the going really quick. I was surprised at how little drill down detail it went into - but then perhaps we're a bit 'vanilla' / uninteresting :D :D :D .

I agree that these stats are essential for research, funding and policy decision-making.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #454059 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Census Forms
havent seen anyone delivering the forms or giving me a computer code to do it on line. Did it on line last time. Do NOT like the nosey person who delivers to htis area and wont be giving information to them

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
9 years 5 months ago #454061 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic Census Forms
Do them online - so much easier.

• Akzle
9 years 5 months ago #454070 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Census Forms

Hawkspur;454962 wrote: Information on people's income and whether they smoke has a direct relationship with the services the government needs to offer them.
Frankly, anyone who doesn't fill out the census correctly has no comeback when it backfires on them, such as the problem Northland has with being underfunded for health by an estimated $10 million every year, because the census in that area is not completed by so many people.
The data is input into a database that cannot be searched in such a way as to get individual people's information. There are very strict controls on the types of searches that can be done on the data, and it is set up so that even a group of different searches cannot isolate individual's information.
The bugger is that people who don't fill it in screw up the funding for others as well.

data can be obtained and collated by anyone interested in "legitimate" research. it's a short hop step and a jump to link it up with data freely available from enrolment lists, driver licenses etc.

arnie.m;454967 wrote: What happens when reach 65 and have to fill out forms for Super, or do you already get it???? :D

by the time i'm 65, the age for super will probably be 103.

Ruth;454971 wrote: Goodness what a lot of reactionary protest! We live in a SOCIETY, which requires some organisation for things to work well. As Hawkspur writes, public funding and service provision is based on this sort of data.

In 100 years when you're long dead, someone is going to be really frustrated by the holes in the data set caused by people who simply refused to take part. I know that's not a great reason for participating, but I'm not sure that yours for NOT doing so are any better.

no, i do not live in NZ society. i've had this argument many times before, but ill bring it here. a society is people joined by MUTUAL CONSENT to deliberate, determine and act towards common goal.
now, my goals are opposed to that of ANY politician, my goals are to eliminate politicians. and I DO NOT CONSENT to be counted amongst "nz society" - legally, as a self admitted part of society, you have no recourse against my position.
i don't agree with the rules they make, or the way the enforce them, i sure as heck don't agree with what "slips through the gaps"

tigger;454997 wrote: So...if you aren't legally in NZ...and don't want to fill in the census...does that mean you aren't going to use the health services, the roads, the community facilities, the super (or other assistance you need), ACC and all the other things that are available to you as a NZer?

[}:)]

PS: As far as I know there is a fine for not being enrolled to vote, but not for not voting.

I'm with Ruth and Sue on this one. It's not a perfect system - if they asked all the questions they really need to it would take more than anyone would want to spend answering it, but at least it gives the baseline needed for a lot of our services.

in an IDEAL system, i'd have no problems with it. the fact stands that the nz government, and this mysterious, unaccountable legal fiction known as "the crown", is far FAR from an ideal system.
if you'd prefer that i drive over "private land" in my ag-barred 4x4, (without stopping for fences or gates), you get the OK from "the crown" and i won't travel on the existing roads.
i don't use the health services, or ACC and i pay for things i do in the community. that said, i'd have no qualms about using a system which is so inherently corrupt to my advantage. if you all think that the "benefit" you get from allowing "the crown" to take half "your money", is worth it, by all means, carry on... this is where the lefty nutters get to call you sheep.

More
9 years 5 months ago #454075 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Census Forms
If Super won't be available until you're 103, you're obviously well below voting age or even the age of logical thought yet, so I'm going to dismiss your views as the ranting of an infant. [;)]

More
9 years 5 months ago #454076 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Census Forms

Akzle;455033 wrote: data can be obtained and collated by anyone interested in "legitimate" research. it's a short hop step and a jump to link it up with data freely available from enrolment lists, driver licenses etc.

The data collected by the census can only be searched in particular ways. The queries are carefully limited to those that produce results that cannot identify individuals. Groups of results are kept large enough to prevent this.
You cannot "link it" to other databases to identify individuals, because the result of any permitted query is not detailed enough to do so.
This is a fundamental to the way the Department of Statistics operates:
"As data custodians, we always ensure that individuals’ privacy is protected, kept secure and confidential. It is an important part of continuing to earn and maintain the public’s trust.
Statistics NZ is committed to ensuring the privacy, security, and confidentiality of all our information. This includes the collection, use, storage, and distribution of the information we collect from individuals, households, and businesses. Information security is central to all our activities."

More
9 years 5 months ago #454078 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Census Forms
Wow, Akzle, that's telling us!! :D :D :D An interesting if somewhat left-field post. What would you see as a workable and fair alternative to the system we have at the moment? It's a bit cheeky to come up with provocative comments like that without being able to offer an alternative for us to consider [;)] :p :D .
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

• Akzle
9 years 5 months ago #454083 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Census Forms

Hawkspur;455039 wrote: The data collected by the census can only be searched in particular ways. The queries are carefully limited to those that produce results that cannot identify individuals. Groups of results are kept large enough to prevent this. ...
Statistics NZ is committed to ensuring the privacy, security, and confidentiality of all our information. This includes the collection, use, storage, and distribution of the information we collect from individuals, households, and businesses. Information security is central to all our activities."

i'm glad you believe their spiel. i don't.
and the many and varied problems with other govt depts releasing sensitive information "accidentally" (if you'll excuse the pun) to the publics... yeah. nah.

Ruth;455038 wrote: If Super won't be available until you're 103, you're obviously well below voting age or even the age of logical thought yet, so I'm going to dismiss your views as the ranting of an infant. [;)]

wouldn't count on it. even with all this kiwisaver scam going along nicely, i don't see where the then-days government is going to get the money to pay out.

dismiss me all you like on whatever grounds you like. my life's going swimmingly.

Mich;455042 wrote: Wow, Akzle, that's telling us!! :D :D :D An interesting if somewhat left-field post. What would you see as a workable and fair alternative to the system we have at the moment? It's a bit cheeky to come up with provocative comments like that without being able to offer an alternative for us to consider [;)] :p :D .
Cheers, Mich.

vote me for PM and find out!! [;)] :D :D

( i support people making sensible decisions and taking responsibility for themselves, on the two basic laws: do no harm, and; tell the truth. )

More
9 years 5 months ago #454084 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Census Forms
We had an interesting but turned-out-ok-in-the-end-experience with our census paper delivery. The guy ran over our box hedge, smashed a pot plant (and its saucer) and broke 3 solar lights lining a path (with the box hedge beside). I complained - had to do it three times - but on Saturday the same guy turned up with 3 solar lights and a big apology.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
9 years 5 months ago #454088 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Census Forms
Was he drunk?

More
9 years 5 months ago #454092 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Census Forms
I have just had the Census Forms delivered and thank you to those who said to ask for an envelope which you can put anonymous on the front of - she agreed - you only get one if you ask for one! If you fill it out online, she will be advised that she does not have to pick up your forms. FYI

Now here is the problem - how can any of you be saying how easy it is to do online when no one is meant to do it until the 5th March!

I'm sorry but I have already looked at the questions and won't be filling it in. I will do something on line under anonymous but there is no way I will be giving personal information out. I can answer many of the questions quite honestly and will but not personal information such as my name etc.

My reason is that whatever the outcome is for this, it will be dishonest as if the people up North (referred too for DHB statistics and school statistics) do not bother to fill out the forms, how can that be an honest outcome. Will the elderly in my mother's retirement village be able to fill this out - no way in hell for most of them and they will just bin them. So what is the point? If we have rules that people can have an interpreter in the back seat when they sit their licence, interpreters when they appear in Court - are they going to have interpreters to fill out these forms? Hell is like.

The Government should be able to access this information readily through the Departments they manage ie. Welfare, Immigration, Employment/Unemployment etc. There are no questions I saw at a quick glance that explain my personal situation so....

I'll think about it before the 5th March and see what I can contribute but nothing that is personal identification. I really don't care about the 100 year family history - the Mormans in Utah have that covered already.

More
9 years 5 months ago #454096 by Scuba_Steve
Replied by Scuba_Steve on topic Census Forms

Mich;455042 wrote: Wow, Akzle, that's telling us!! :D :D :D An interesting if somewhat left-field post. What would you see as a workable and fair alternative to the system we have at the moment? It's a bit cheeky to come up with provocative comments like that without being able to offer an alternative for us to consider [;)] :p :D .
Cheers, Mich.

I could give you two. Democracy or Anarchy
(and no we don't have democracy & anarchy doesn't actually mean what you probably think it does, but the Govt's want you to think it does)

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

More
9 years 5 months ago #454100 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Census Forms
As part of my employment I have to fill in stat forms regularly and it peeves me no end they don't work in the same GST/financial year format as IRD.

However when I queired this with one of the nicer people from Stats who has telephoned to ask where our answers are, he says they have taken steps so even IRD cannot access their information. Coming from aussie where ATO could do so, this was a big surprise for me to learn.

therefore I can hardly complain about having to fill in a stat questionaire on our business comings and goings when they are (or say they are) protecting my employers privacy from other Govt departments.

And as far as the census goes, well we send our daughter to our local public school, my family all use and expect a high level in the health/ACC system, I drive on public roads to get to the basics such as work and shopping and I expect the police to help me when I call.

When I choose not to partake of these things, then I will consider my right to privacy. In the meanwhile, I expect service so I must return a service in return.

You can't ride in an aeroplane without booking a ticket. :)

More
9 years 5 months ago #454105 by helen55
Replied by helen55 on topic Census Forms
I'll be completing my Census form online. I have no problem whatsoever with the questions that are being asked - there's nothing offensive about any of them.

And I'd love to know if the people who are objecting to the census have Fly Buys and One Cards. Or if they use EFTPOS or have a mobile phone or use Facebook etc etc. These features of modern society provide far more info about an individual than the census ever will.

Re the security of the information recorded on the paper forms, I'm working on the Census and there's no way I'll be interested in reading the information recorded on the forms I'll be collecting from approximately 250 dwellings. I've got better things to do with my time!

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

More
9 years 5 months ago #454110 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Census Forms
"And I'd love to know if the people who are objecting to the census have Fly Buys and One Cards. Or if they use EFTPOS or have a mobile phone or use Facebook etc etc. These features of modern society provide far more info about an individual than the census ever will."

Isn't that the point? Those things tell us about Society but how does this Census answer the question about whether you were one of the 600 people who applied for a small engine mechanics job in say katikati or at a Pac n Sav that you travelled 60 minutes to get too, whether you are one of the near too or over 60 unemployable people by age who do not receive any benefits, not in the work force but look after themselves after a life time of saving?

Perhaps the real question is - what questions is this Census trying to answer?

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds