Census Forms

More
9 years 3 months ago #34444 by DiDi
Census Forms was created by DiDi
Anyone else considered not filling one of these out? I just think it is nuts as how are the results going to actually identify NZ today. Are the over stayers (or non English speaking people) or those that can't read or write going to fill it in? Are the Refugees going to answer (as if the question is asked) How many family did you bring in under Family Unification and how many are receiving a benefit. How many people who are not on any Benefit, but not on Super going to be asked how low deposit rates affect them?

Perhaps I should wait but I suspect that the answers will give an outcome that the statisticians want us to hear. Not reality. So why the big fine if you choose not to do it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Akzle
9 years 3 months ago #453990 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Census Forms
i have a very simple approach when it comes to doing things for the government: i don't

i don't send them anything, i don't talk to their agents, i don't answer the phone for them.

and i sure as shit don't vote. that just encourages the bastards. (big fine for that, too.)

so no. i'm not going to legally be in "New Zealand" on the day. might go visit old zealand.

(or just some game fishing) =D

• Akzle
9 years 3 months ago #453991 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Census Forms
it also pisses me off that motorbikers are excluded from the count and that they ask about smoking. how about "NONE OF YOUR RUDDY BUSINESS!"

bastards. all.

More
9 years 3 months ago #453996 by belinda_h
Replied by belinda_h on topic Census Forms
HAven't got any forms yet - I'm out of the house 7.30am to 5.30 pm minimum, out frequently in the evening and also on the weekend. Good luck to them finding me home!

More
9 years 3 months ago #453998 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Census Forms
Didnt do it last time, not doing it this time. My son does it, but uses a false name, he says its no ones business who he is.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 3 months ago #454001 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Census Forms
No bastard would know if we all put false information on the forms anyway. For those of you who do fill in the forms please tick "other" for ethnicity and write New Zealander or whatever.

More
9 years 3 months ago #454002 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Census Forms
i am tending to agree.. i just read thru the forms.. there are some very intrusive questions..and why do they need a name..if they are collecting a 'snap shot' of nz on a particular day..they dont need to know who i am, how much i earn ( or not ), whether i smoke..
i would be happy to complete if it was annonymous ( sp? ).. which provides the same details of the demographic of a population..
i like the idea of a false name thow :D

More
9 years 3 months ago #454005 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Census Forms
Information on people's income and whether they smoke has a direct relationship with the services the government needs to offer them.
Frankly, anyone who doesn't fill out the census correctly has no comeback when it backfires on them, such as the problem Northland has with being underfunded for health by an estimated $10 million every year, because the census in that area is not completed by so many people.
The data is input into a database that cannot be searched in such a way as to get individual people's information. There are very strict controls on the types of searches that can be done on the data, and it is set up so that even a group of different searches cannot isolate individual's information.
The bugger is that people who don't fill it in screw up the funding for others as well.

More
9 years 3 months ago #454007 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Census Forms
I've filled in ours on the internet took no time at all.

People complain if we don't get finding for our schools or hospitals but if the census does identify were the future children are or what age group is in a area they have no way of allocating funds to those areas.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
9 years 3 months ago #454009 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Census Forms

Akzle;454946 wrote: i have a very simple approach when it comes to doing things for the government: i don't

i don't send them anything, i don't talk to their agents, i don't answer the phone for them.

and i sure as shit don't vote. that just encourages the bastards. (big fine for that, too.)

so no. i'm not going to legally be in "New Zealand" on the day. might go visit old zealand.

What happens when reach 65 and have to fill out forms for Super, or do you already get it???? :D

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
9 years 3 months ago #454012 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Census Forms
Goodness what a lot of reactionary protest! We live in a SOCIETY, which requires some organisation for things to work well. As Hawkspur writes, public funding and service provision is based on this sort of data.

In 100 years when you're long dead, someone is going to be really frustrated by the holes in the data set caused by people who simply refused to take part. I know that's not a great reason for participating, but I'm not sure that yours for NOT doing so are any better.

More
9 years 3 months ago #454022 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Census Forms
I was just going to write along the same lines as Ruth mentioned.

I am currently doing a lot of research into my English and my kiwi husband's ancestry and I find the census data online from 1841 to 1911 invaluable for tracing our forebears.

I know that some of it is not accurate from 100 plus years ago, though that is mainly due to the person transcribing data incorrectly, and people giving false ages!

How much more difficult it will be in 100 years time for our relatives to sort out the jumble of blended families and false names from our current census if everyone does their darndest to muck it up or avoid it. It will be mind blowing-but hey-I won't be here to try and sort it out!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
9 years 3 months ago #454025 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Census Forms
I bristle at having to fill in so many personal details, but I do because, as Sue and Ruth alluded to, there's an element of civil responsibility here. What really annoys me is that the person delivering the forms doesn't automatically offer you a privacy envelope to insert the completed form into. It was only after I read the forms that I realised you could request one and that you could mail the forms in. I don't like the idea that the person deliverying/picking up can look at the information on the people/properties they visit at any stage up until the forms get delivered back to Statistics.

The guy that delivered here was most insistent that I give him a phone number, but I declined saying ours was confidential and cell phone coverage doesn't work down here. He was also keen on me filling the form in online, but I'll be blowed if I'm wasting my slow dial-up time on filling in some form online. Rather spend it here, LOL.

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
9 years 3 months ago #454031 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Census Forms
If you want a confidential envelope, request it when they come around to pick the forms up again. Presumably you could still then return by mail if you chose to?

More
9 years 3 months ago #454036 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Census Forms

Akzle;454946 wrote: i have a very simple approach when it comes to doing things for the government: i don't, i don't send them anything, i don't talk to their agents, i don't answer the phone for them, and i sure as shit don't vote. that just encourages the bastards. (big fine for that, too.)

So...if you aren't legally in NZ...and don't want to fill in the census...does that mean you aren't going to use the health services, the roads, the community facilities, the super (or other assistance you need), ACC and all the other things that are available to you as a NZer?

[}:)]

PS: As far as I know there is a fine for not being enrolled to vote, but not for not voting.

I'm with Ruth and Sue on this one. It's not a perfect system - if they asked all the questions they really need to it would take more than anyone would want to spend answering it, but at least it gives the baseline needed for a lot of our services.

Whether the government of the day sees fit to allocate what is then needed is another story altogether.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds