Wellington Ukelele Orchestra - check them out if you get a chance!

More
11 years 1 month ago #34386 by reggit
Took some convincing to get even one friend to come with me to this at the Hamilton Gardens Festival last night - ukeleles far too uncool for most! - but it was absolutely awesome.

Big Muffin Serious Band were there also (last time I saw them was back in Uni 20+ years ago!) and a Canadian called James Hill - who coaxed noises out of his ukelele I wouldn't have thought possible, including an amazing rendition of Michael Jackson's Billy Jean.
:confused:

Hilarious, fun, very very clever, and a great night out. If you get a chance to see the orchestra in action, give it a go - my intro was a friend's band called The Apron Strings, a group of women from a rural area who got together to have some fun.

PS I had so much fun I am now going to the Great Britain Ukelele Orchestra in a few weeks in Hamilton.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #453363 by RKH
I completely agree with you Tigger re the Wgtn Uke Orchestra, I've been a fan for years and have converted heaps of my friends, we now have quite a gathering of us when they perform here, love them!

I hope you enjoy the Gt Britain one more than I did, I didn't think they could be compared at all, Wgtn are loads of fun not to mention funny and thoroughly entertaining! Gt Britain is a lot more ummmm serious (?) and I ended up leaving halfway through it after getting the giggles (my bad), they really are 2 different kettles of fish (my opinion).

Arapawa Island Sheep, 2 dogs, 2 cats, one huge Kunekune, 4 tiny Kunekune's and some cool chickens.

More
11 years 1 month ago #453432 by reggit
Thanks RKH, was expecting somewhat different...will be good to see nonetheless.

I went to Hawaii last year and was amazed at the shops that sold just ukeleles, I had to ask if I could take a photo just to prove to those back home that such shops existed! Hundreds of them lining the walls. Have ordered a CD of Israel Kamakawiwo of Hawaiian style ukelele music, incredible the different styles possible once you get past the cheesy tourist style stuff...and the idea that a ukelele is a kids instrument :D

This is my year of 'different' music as I am now bereft of a large number of CDs that I loved (I have very eclectic tastes!) from more recent groups/singers, and am bracing myself to build up the collection, but enjoying trying some new stuff - next is the Glenn Millar Big Band coming from the US in June, with their 1940s sounds [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds