GST for non-profit - legalities?

• Andrea
9 years 4 months ago #34316 by Andrea
GST for non-profit - legalities? was created by Andrea
Scenario - non-profit group (all legal and above-board) having AGM. Selling advertising space in conference book. Does the cost include GST, and how should receipts be written, to keep it all legal and above-board?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #452754 by Ruth
Is the group GST registered?

More
9 years 4 months ago #452755 by Hawkspur
Ruth asks the salient point:
The type of organisation doesn't matter, but GST registration does.
You only add GST if you are GST registered, and if you are, then you must add GST.

More
9 years 4 months ago #452758 by Andrea1
No, the group is NOT GST registered. That's what I thought. They put it on their forms last year, and this year I'm conference registrar, and I didn't think it was kosher to put that on the form.

More
9 years 4 months ago #452760 by Ruth
If you're not GST registered you can't issue a GST receipt, so you just issue ordinary ones. You might want to check whether or not you need to include "GST included" or something on any receipt though.

More
9 years 4 months ago #452761 by Andrea1
Thanks, Ruth - how would I find out? Ringing IRD?

More
9 years 4 months ago #452763 by Ruth
If they answer quickly ... I'm just trying a few search possibilities, see if I can find what you need ...

• Akzle
9 years 4 months ago #452765 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic GST for non-profit - legalities?
if you pay GST, you generally charge it on, if you're not paying GST, you either don't charge it in the price, or pocket the difference,

but, if you charge GST and don't pay it (to teh govt), you're going to get a strongly worded letter from the tax man.

if you're a non-profit group, the advertising companies are probably writing it off as a charitable donation anyway, so they're not paying tax on it and it's going in the "expenses column" to lower the tax across the rest of their business

More
9 years 4 months ago #452766 by Ruth
Most receipt forms have a space for GST, but you're not issuing a GST receipt, so your amount received and the GST-inclusive total will be the same. If there's no GST mention on a receipt form, you probably don't need to worry about it.

If you collect GST, the IRD will be very interested!

See if you can reassure yourself with anything here: http://www.ird.govt.nz/non-profit/np-gst/

More
9 years 4 months ago #452769 by Andrea1
Thanks for that link, Ruth... just want to be legal, and have also rung the IRD and left a message for a callback.

Looking at the link, seems fees for the registrations are liable for income tax, as are donations for sponsorships, AND advertising fees, so will have to keep very careful records!

More
9 years 4 months ago #452770 by arnie.m

Andrea;453587 wrote: Thanks for that link, Ruth... just want to be legal, and have also rung the IRD and left a message for a callback.

Looking at the link, seems fees for the registrations are liable for income tax, as are donations for sponsorships, AND advertising fees, so will have to keep very careful records!

Only need to register if your income is over $60000 not including the GST content, interest and a few other things..

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
9 years 4 months ago #452771 by reggit
If you are GST registered, you wil have to charge (and account for) GST on everything you invoice for - including membership subs. If members are not commercial/GST registered, they cannot claim this back.

We had this issue with our incorporated institute, wasn't a biggie for members as our subs are so small...and advantageous as we run a conference every year with a large income/expenditure, so being able to claim GST back was useful for our finances.

You'd have to weigh up the benefits/costs depending on what your not-for-profit buys/gets income from.

If you chose not to register for GST as it's not worthwhile for you to do so...just invoice and make it clear on the invoice that your org is NOT gst registered.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
9 years 4 months ago #452775 by Andrea1
Just got off the phone with the IRD - we'd have to be taking in over $60K/annum to be liable for income, and the organisation is not GST reg, and not really worth it for what it is (breed society/registering body). But we aren't allowed to collect GST, so the wording on the form I was mentioning has to be changed.

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds