Dung beetles dumped on...........

More
9 years 4 months ago #34274 by spoook
A while back there was discussion on dung beetles, I will not re open the thread but I have been advised of an update that could be of interest.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #452338 by Stikkibeek
I've been looking forward to the release of these beetle. I can't help thinking the cautious approaches, while necessary for biosecurity, are a bit OTT when there must be plenty of evidence available in countries where there are dung beetles as to whether they represent a risk to human health or not.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 4 months ago #452349 by muri
I agree Stikkibeek, we are one of the few countries in the world [along with antartica] without the dung beetles

More
9 years 4 months ago #452440 by KiplingAngel
Just pretend they are varoa mite, and bloody well release them - then see what happens... Isn't that the Kiwi way??

More
9 years 4 months ago #452443 by Stikkibeek

KiplingAngel;453225 wrote: Just pretend they are varoa mite, and bloody well release them - then see what happens... Isn't that the Kiwi way??

Nah! That was mostly done by Pommy immigrants a while back [}:)]:rolleyes:
They brought us rabbits, weasels, gorse, chicken pox, measles, whooping cough, scarlet fever, sparrows, rats, cockroaches, ......the list goes on! :p

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 4 months ago #452457 by KaiapoiKen
Don't worry folks, it's just another lot of know-it-alls (nanny state scientists) telling us that the rest of the world is wrong and they are right. Stikkibeek you are right. Happens all the time here. Must be getting near time for them to justify their fat salaries and existence. Regardless of what the benefits might be somebody will always find a negative to prove their point of view.

More
9 years 4 months ago #452479 by KiplingAngel
Ruminant animals developed alongside these little beetles - it's part of the whole circle of life... Rather we have the wee buggers moving the poo to where it is needed in the earth than flush it down the waterways or worse...

More
9 years 4 months ago #452480 by reggit
Hmm, can't see how those bugs could be transmitted to humans unless humans are going out and licking a few dung beetles/picking them up and playing with them then licking their fingers... :p

Cockroaches/rats/mice are different as they hang around human settlement, dung beetles aren't known for their propensity to seek out people and their food...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
9 years 4 months ago #452483 by reggit

Stikkibeek;453228 wrote: Nah! That was mostly done by Pommy immigrants a while back [}:)]:rolleyes:
They brought us rabbits, weasels, gorse, chicken pox, measles, whooping cough, scarlet fever, sparrows, rats, cockroaches, ......the list goes on! :p

And they were all brought in a long long time ago before there were any biosecurity controls/testing before introduction too...and varroa thought to have been through stuff smuggled in rather than a planned intro.

Protocols/testing now (over a long period of time, ie years) to ensure no negative impacts of introductions of beneficial insects is very stringent now.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
9 years 4 months ago #452486 by muri
There are dung beetles well established around the southern kaipara. Unfortunately they are the mexican sub tropical variety and didnt survive well here with frosts and heavy rain last winter.
But they are moving around farms in the slightly more subtropical conditions not so many km north of here and will no doubt continue to spread to where conditions suit them ie northwards.
I have not heard of any health side effects of the farmers there who have them, in fact they are rather pleased, cuts down heaps on flies as the manure disappears
You do wonder why everyone is so against them yet we are prepared to introduce vegetables and fresh products that we know could well destroy our home grown industries, and indeed are as we have seen with psa etc

More
9 years 4 months ago #452488 by reggit

muri;453275 wrote: You do wonder why everyone is so against them yet we are prepared to introduce vegetables and fresh products that we know could well destroy our home grown industries, and indeed are as we have seen with psa etc

I don't think it is a case of everyone being against them...this article to me reads as a bit of a media beat up. Not sure why Auckland Uni so involved in this, as Landcare is the organisation with the expertise in biocontrol intros etc...

More
9 years 4 months ago #452491 by LongRidge
I went through Massey at the same time as Grant Guilford, and assure you that he is a very bright lad. Thus his concerns should be seriously considered. The fact that dung beetles can move from place to place, that they live in dung, and that dung often contains very nasty bugs is quite enough reason to be cautious. If any one of those 3 factors above was missing then the risk would be less hazardous.

More
9 years 4 months ago #452495 by reggit

LongRidge;453280 wrote: I went through Massey at the same time as Grant Guilford, and assure you that he is a very bright lad.

No-one's casting nasturtiums on the bona fides of those involved, just an interesting angle to take to oppose the intro of this agent - to me, anyway!

More
9 years 4 months ago #452545 by helen55
I've been looking forward to the release of dung beetles here. I'd be able to use the time currently dedicated to picking up alpaca poo for more pleasurable activities.

As an Aussie who kept several horses on a rural property in New South Wales I really appreciated the hard work done by my manure munching beetles.

When I arrived in NZ I was very disappointed to discover that the only critters that swarmed around manure were blowflies. My labrador does enjoy munching on alpaca poo but she's never going to be as effective as the dung beetles.

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

More
9 years 4 months ago #452860 by jennym
i would rather that they are not introduced because i want to continue picking up the bags of poo left on the side of the road for my trees.

i know it is selfish but it is so easy.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds