Help! How do I resize pics in Windows 7?

More
9 years 4 months ago #34272 by hilldweller
In the version I had until yesterday, if I wanted to make pics smaller to upload to this site I could just right click on a whole group of them, select resize and then small/medium/large etc and it was done. And I could choose whether to retain the original as well.

In Windows 7, after reference to the help function, I've only managed to do it by opening Paint, opening a pic, going into resize and then changing the number of pixels and saving. Then opening the next pic.....

Please tell me there's a quicker way!

hilldweller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #452301 by Ruth
I've been on W7 for a while, but have never used any of those auto functions for fear the quality would be unsatisfactory. However, I may have an overly sensitive eye for such things.

I have a book on W7 from the library, it says you have to use the "send by email" option and then downsize that way if you want to lots at a time. Then you have to drag them off to a folder where you want them. What a carry-on! It also only gives you the 680px x something as the smallest, which won't work for the 500px maximum in this forum.

More
9 years 4 months ago #452302 by Sue
I've found that up to a certain size actually don't need resizing on here anymore! It seems to do it for you. Not sure what size it is, but up to 1mb seems to do it OK and even bigger. For the biggies I still do it the way you describe HD!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
9 years 4 months ago #452309 by Stu_R
I find 640x480 works perfectly on here :)
:) but um i am still using XP as an opp system :) so i dont have windows 7 probs :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
9 years 4 months ago #452310 by muri
I take photos on the small size on my camera so I dont need to resize them.

More
9 years 4 months ago #452314 by arnie.m

muri;453081 wrote: I take photos on the small size on my camera so I dont need to resize them.

This can cause deterioration in quality if you want to do an enlargement say A4 or larger. I always take Max size on my camera and then reduce on computer if needed. there are plenty of free programs for this.

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
9 years 4 months ago #452317 by Anne
Go into your file of pictures.
Click on View at the top of the page.
Select Thumbnails - it means you can see what you are about to open.
Click on the picture you want to open.
Rigth click to bring up the menu.
Chose Open with....
Select Microsoft Office Picture Manager
Once the picture is open, Click on Picture on the tool bar.
Choose the Compress Pictures option.
You'll get a tool bar come up with options for compressing to various sizes.
You can compress it and have a look and see if its what you want. Once you compress the picture, if you want to save the original you need to "Save as..." the new one and choose and new name and a place to save it to.

Hope that helps.

I've used a variety of other programmes and keep coming back to Picture Manager.

Good luck.

More
9 years 4 months ago #452323 by Ruth

Stu_R;453080 wrote: I find 640x480 works perfectly on here :)
:) but um i am still using XP as an opp system :) so i dont have windows 7 probs :)

But if you upload 640 x 480, LSB will compress it into 500 x 375 and will consequently not render it as clearly as you see it in the original file. While you'll convey the general effect, if you want to show us something quite detailed, we won't see it clearly.

• Akzle
9 years 4 months ago #452324 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Help! How do I resize pics in Windows 7?
i'm going to take this opportunity to recommend you get a free operating system that works better:

linux.

• Akzle
9 years 4 months ago #452325 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Help! How do I resize pics in Windows 7?
PS

in the old windows you could do batch resizing by selecting all the piccies you want and right clicking, choose "send by email", then follow the prompts for downscaling options - limited and crude, but works.

GIMP is free software and as fully-featured as photoshop, it has a scaling option (one by one)

More
9 years 4 months ago #452339 by wyseyes
You remember the right-click>Resize Pictures that was available to you in XP (most likely if you had installed the XP PowerToys)

So go to ImageResizer , download and install it, then you'll get the same function.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
9 years 4 months ago #452340 by wyseyes

Anne;453088 wrote:
Chose Open with....
Select Microsoft Office Picture Manager

Hope that helps.

Anne, this only works if you have installed Microsoft Office. MSO PM gets installed with it.
No good if you haven't got MSO

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
9 years 4 months ago #452353 by wandering free
Have you tried this one.

imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Ups, I see it is already listed by "wyseyes" I just need to read the posts more carefully.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
9 years 4 months ago #452374 by spoook
Thanks wseyes, this has been a problem I have been trying to deal with. Now downloaded and in working order.

The other thing I miss is the ability to "print selection", another lost valuable tool. :(

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
9 years 4 months ago #452543 by wyseyes
Print Selection in which program?

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds