Additions to the garden

More
9 years 6 months ago #33800 by Ruth
Additions to the garden was created by Ruth
We have a pond deep enough for swimming. At its edge there's now a water-slide, created from a long bit of internal guttering someone had ordered in error and a local retailer was sending to the tip. It's about 4.2m long. It has a lovely ladder, a little platform with rails around it at the top, a hose with holes to send water down the slide when it's in use and the bottom is about a metre from the top of the water.

Two girls heard about the slide and begged their Dad to bring them round today, which he did. They were so funny to watch, as the first one sat nervously at the top of the slide and said she couldn't go. Eventually she let go and slid into the water and then there was no stopping them, for about the next two hours.

Down the slide, across the pond, out onto the jetty, run around to the slide ...

What we'll figure out in the next few days is the optimum number of children (of whatever age, probably including those over 60) who can climb, slide, swim, run, climb ... without getting in each other's way. It's obviously so much fun that there's not much stopping in the cycle.

Everyone goes faster down the slide without clothes on, but I'm not sure whether that will be a popular option in a wider social setting! [:0][:I]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #447752 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Additions to the garden
Oh boy, that sounds like my sort of thing! I have a creek and polythene and a pump for the water - but it takes a fair bit of setting up. Yours sounds much more "ready".

More
9 years 6 months ago #447757 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Additions to the garden
Sounds like a very narrow slide if made from guttering:confused::confused:

More
9 years 6 months ago #447765 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Additions to the garden
Internal guttering is as wide as it needs to be, and is often made to order, so can be very wide indeed. It is not like the domestic sized external spouting.

More
9 years 6 months ago #447771 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Additions to the garden
now i know whats missing in mine.
I have a jetty to launch the dingy from
only the geese slide down the banks of mine
and occassionally the dog when he thinks I am not looking
so you dont have the big grand daddy eels to bite you on the bum then Ruth?

More
9 years 6 months ago #447777 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Additions to the garden

kai;447970 wrote: Sounds like a very narrow slide if made from guttering:confused::confused:

Wide enough for a Stephan bum! It's about 500mm wide, at a guess.

muri;447984 wrote: ...so you dont have the big grand daddy eels to bite you on the bum then Ruth?

Not if you enter at that speed! I presume all the living creatures in the pond are round the other end of the island when there's swimming going on. There are fish, crays, sometimes frogs, and so far I've only seen small eels around the edges at night. The kids ask if there are eels; I rarely tell them the whole truth.

More
9 years 6 months ago #447780 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Additions to the garden
Photos?

Web Goddess

More
9 years 6 months ago #447784 by Ruth
There's quite a bit of nudity in many of the photos! Skin goes so much faster than togs, and all modesty gets left at the top of the slide in a pile of wet clothing. :D

More
9 years 6 months ago #447786 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Additions to the garden
..and what are the council fencing rules in the Far North for swimming pools? [}:)]
Oh that's right-its not a swimming pool, its a farm pond, whew! :D

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
9 years 6 months ago #447788 by Ruth
It is actually reasonably well fenced, particularly from the house. We need one more smallish gate. This place is not somewhere you'd let your small children wander around at will anyway. I well remember a panicked mother screaming for her child who had wandered off down the driveway and we all imagined he'd fallen off the bridge. She had seven by then though...

More
9 years 6 months ago #447790 by kate

Ruth;447997 wrote: There's quite a bit of nudity in many of the photos! Skin goes so much faster than togs, and all modesty gets left at the top of the slide in a pile of wet clothing. :D

So? [}:)] I'm sure you can photoshop the photos to make them 'family friendly' [8D]

Web Goddess

More
9 years 6 months ago #447792 by Ruth
Oh, alright then.

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
9 years 6 months ago #447793 by kate
Wow that is impressive! A big pat on the back to the designer/builder :D

Web Goddess

More
9 years 6 months ago #447795 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Additions to the garden
Awesome, we could have one here........ hmmmm.... that would mean children and noise. :confused: Maybe not [;)]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
9 years 6 months ago #447796 by Ruth
It was very entertaining watching them yesterday. (If I was of a particularly quirky bent, the demonstration on the day it went in would have been even more entertaining: two old geezers climbing up a ladder and manoeuvring themselves onto the slide, "all in the best possible taste"... Actually that was pretty funny.)

Time to create page: 0.280 seconds