Shampoo change needed - recommendations

More
11 years 5 months ago #448512 by max2
Just a bit of feedback, i bought the selsun blue with fantastic results for my hair, cleaner, shiny again, no ''grease trap'' at the top and very reasonably priced.

I still use a wee bit of conditioner on the ends, just for combing sake, but I am really impressed with the difference.

many thanks everyone. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Akzle
11 years 4 months ago #449121 by Akzle
Replied by Akzle on topic Shampoo change needed - recommendations
dont use shampoo. it's toxic (read the list of chemicals on the back!)
it might take a month to balance out, but your body is actually really good at looking after itself, shampoo strips your hair of any goodness it naturally produces which creates a vicious cycle. i haven't used shampoo in years and have really pretty hair =) water if it needs rinsing, swim in the ocean is best.

More
11 years 4 months ago #449185 by max2

Akzle;449494 wrote: dont use shampoo. it's toxic (read the list of chemicals on the back!)
it might take a month to balance out, but your body is actually really good at looking after itself, shampoo strips your hair of any goodness it naturally produces which creates a vicious cycle. i haven't used shampoo in years and have really pretty hair =) water if it needs rinsing, swim in the ocean is best.

Many thanks for that, unfortunately for me its not something I can easily try. i do suffer from an itchy scalp (well I was before the selsun, all seems good now) and as I also work in the hospitality industry, albeit in the ''office'' it doesn't pay for me to strut around scratching my nugget at work.

However I am rapt in the selsun and have even been able to back off from washing my hair daily. :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #449452 by Belle Bosse
Hi Swaggie,

If you are looking for a new shampoo and conditioner that is free of nasty chemicals there are two that I can happily recommend. Both are organic and Australian made.

1. Natural Instinct. (available in chemists and health food shops in NZ.)
www.naturalinstinct.com.au/Home.aspx/Index

2. Sukin. (available in most chemists and health food shops in NZ.)
www.sukinorganics.com/Category/3/Hair-Care

I have been using Natural Instinct and Sukin since 2006/2007, occasionally swapping to Selsun. My hair is thick and down past my waist. It is usually tied back out of the way and washed once or twice a week, or more frequently, depending on what is happening. I tend not to stick to just one shampoo or conditioner all the time.

Currently Im successfully using an Eco-store organic product (the handwash) as shampoo and coconut oil in place of conditioner, but I'm looking forward to using the Sukin and Natural Instinct products again... at the moment they are a "luxury".
Of the two, I find the Natural Instinct has the easier sudsing and conditioning action, but I quite like the Sukin products, especially its moisturisers.

When I used to use the chemical cocktail shampoos I found that the "two in one" type shampoo/conditioner were the worst for leaving my hair looking and feeling awful after a few washes. Sunsilk was my preferred shampoo those days, but it was alternated with some other brand as well.

Hope you locate a shampoo you will be happy with, and Happy New Year!

More
11 years 4 months ago #449497 by max2
Thankyou BB. When we were back in Aussie i was buying and using Pure Earth

www.pureearth.com.au/index.html

and was bringing the bigger bottles back here on our travels and stocking up. It never once crossed my mind that changing to a more commerically available product that I once used very successfully would, 3 1/2 years later, make me looked a completely unwashed person. So I was somewhat disappointed.

I am due for a trip home in March and thinking about getting a supply sent to my BIL's place to bring back to home here. In the meanwhile I am very delighted with selsun.

More
11 years 4 months ago #449507 by DiDi
swaggie - I read something recently about dry scalp and the thing was to use a creme shampoo and conditioner and having been through this, I use a commercial shampoo that I don't react to at all. Creme!

What I do agree with is that you need to change shampoos every few months so as not to get a reaction. Bear in mind, I dye my hair (not ready for grey mass) and without a creme shampoo, it would be like straw (no- not bleached blonde) but great that you are having success with your new one. Just change to something else within a few months would be my advise.

More
11 years 4 months ago #449553 by llvonn
My Mum has been using Argon oil and she swears by it. You use very little - so it lasts a long time.
My hairdresser says I don't need to use it as my hair and scalp is very healthy. I use the Baking Soda and have diluted cider vinegar in a spray bottle. After rinsing the Baking soda out, I spray my hair and then after washing the rest of me, then rinse out the vinegar. Works brilliantly and cheaply.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
11 years 4 months ago #450181 by HeidiLee
Hi Swaggie, I know what you mean. Pantene is awful for your hair, it causes a build up of silicone which is why your hair feels so yucky. My trick is to use....wait for it.... sunlight soap or dishwashing liquid on your hair every once in a while or a clarifying shampoo if you can afford it. It must be Sunlight (old fashioned) yellow dishwash liquid but the bar of sunlight soap does work better. This strips your hair of excess stuff but doesn't seem to damage it. I have very long hair down to the small of my back, it is thick and healthy.

I stumbled upon this when we were told by our vet to use a bar of sunlight soap to wash our horses (they had irritating, sticky deposits from some trees in their coats). He recommended this above all those expensive shampoos, special medicated ones etc. It worked a treat on them. Their skin is extremely sensitive so I figured if my horses took well to it then I shouldn't have a problem with it.

Heidi
8.5 acres | 2 horses | 1 dog | 18 chooks | peace & quiet | a big smile on my dial![:D]

More
11 years 4 months ago #450202 by FarmerEms
There's a few of those "Non SLS and Paraben" shampoo's on handmade toiletries sites, a lot are american, but they do work. Also, you could give Lush's Dry shampoo's a go - Love anything made by Lush. They also do normal Shampoo's... Nothing is tested on animals and all natural yummy stuff and everything smells divine! Just my 2c :D

Growing the LSB one kid/lamb/calf/piglet at a time.. [8D]

More
11 years 4 months ago #450211 by linda
Well I wouldn`t use Lush products. They use SLS as a foaming agent &
Parabens for preserving. Yuk :(

13 acres in poroti,northland
www.justsoap.co.nz

More
11 years 4 months ago #450230 by Hasbeen
Each time I had a baby my long hair fell out to the extent that I looked like an egg with a few hairs draped over it.
I always got what little that was left cut & frizzy permed to almost hide my scalp.
By the time the perm was out there was enough hair back to grow long again.
Old age thinned my hair again but I kept it long & years of dressing it helped me to hide the old lady pink scalp.
A few years back someone suggested I take coconut oil for my embarrassingly failing memory.
The coconut oil had side effects.
My scalp got all hedgehog like & in a few months I had a halo of hair escaping from my tidy roll up.
Long story short; I have the thickest longest hair of my adult life.
I have a hot oil hair treatment about once every 6 to 8 weeks with the organic deodorizer coconut oil that I eat because I now have hair I want to care for.
I too use Selsun Blue because it looks after the 15 year old world's greatest dog & we can't have to many shampoos on the pension.

Recovering Lifestyler

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds