Shampoo change needed - recommendations

More
11 years 4 months ago #447402 by Hawkspur
Another Selsun Blue user here. Have been for decades. Seems to be turning my hair grey recently though...[;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #447412 by ronnie
I use the Biolage Hydrating shampoo with detangling lotion (light conditioner) as my hair was very, very dry and frizzy. It has worked well for me. Again, it is very expensive but I only buy it twice a year :D so works out not too bad really.

I am having issues with dry skin but I suspect that is hormone related due my age, rather than shampoo use.

More
11 years 4 months ago #447416 by ccrk9

Hawkspur;447588 wrote: Another Selsun Blue user here. Have been for decades. Seems to be turning my hair grey recently though...[;)]

So THATS why I am totally grey. Lol.

I have been going grey since I was 16. After I moved to our block I struggled with very thick brown with grey waist length hair - washing it so often when I did dirty dusty jobs, and it was hot and heavy in the heat.

One day I walked past a low hanging branch and got my hair snagged and I couldnt get loose without my husband helping. That was it ! Off came all the long hair and and once it was cut I was totally grey. In my early 50s I wear my grey hair with pride - I have earned everyone of those hairs. But it does need cutting way to often for my budget as its still very thick and fast growing.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
11 years 4 months ago #447419 by stephclark
i too have been greying since an early age..i have not been able to grow out my hair for many decades because it is so brittle..but hey, i have been colouring it and styling it for the best part of 35 years..
am now bleached out so the grey regrowth doesnt show so much[;)]..

for manageabilty and shine i use a product called. RUSK deep shine, you only need a little, a blob about the size of small finger nail..a tube will last about 18 months :) .. its a good light product and doesnt weigh down fine hair..

More
11 years 4 months ago #447420 by drifter
Those of you who are going no shampoo reminded me of a discussion I once had at uni. We always assume that 'in the olden days' that they stank a lot because they didn't bathe etc. Well this discussion was about the natural ph and how using soaps stripped out our natural oils and created a marketing dream of a never-ending cycle of soap dependency. Some in my class had been experimenting with not using soap etc (extra-mural class so all ages) and had found that after three weeks or so they stopped itching and feeling dirty and didn't smell :) We were certainly ready to tell them if they did! They found that it was clothes that had the stink smell not bodies.

My elderly Aunt could bath using only a tea cup of water and she only ever smelt of sweet old lady smell :D

Apparently this is why we hold off washing new-born babies for as long as possible. Some wondered if washing their natural protection off was the cause of skin conditions and allergies etc

Just a bit of random musing :D :D

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
11 years 4 months ago #447426 by igor
I am one of the no shampoo group. Former manager at work told us of a mate of his who had heard of a theory that after a few weeks the hair would find its own balance of oils and stabilise itself. I tried it and it has. I wash my hair in the shower as Andrea does and comb it wet with the steel comb. My hair now feels healthier than it ever did before. I have been going shampooless for a few months now and would not go back.
My hair is quite long as apart from a trim and tidy for my wedding in 2001 I have not had a haircut since getting a no.2 in the Spring of '98.
Drifter is quite right about soap dependency. The soap and shampoo industry is just a huge conspiracy to make people buy stuff they don't need.

More
11 years 4 months ago #447432 by Lindeggs
Hubby hasn't used shampoo for many, many years and his hair is just lovely. I've not been brave enough to try it myself yet though!

A while ago I had a problem with a really itchy, flaky scalp and none of the usual products seemed to help. Then I was talking to a naturopath about other stuff (leg cramps, aching feet, etc) and he said that an imbalance of minerals can cause all those things, and an itchy scalp as well! So I modified my diet, got more sun (for the Vitamin D) and my scalp has been healthy ever since.

So I'm just saying it might help to look at your whole diet and lifestyle and maybe take a multivitamin and mineral supplement for a while. For me I didn't need the supplements but found some fairly small changes to my lifestyle made a big difference.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
11 years 4 months ago #447449 by muri
Well sceptic that i am but always preferring to try natural products, I tested the no shampoo wash last night and altho i did miss soaping up my long locks, I gave them a rinse with cider vinegar and cant say that there is a big difference in my hair today compared with shampooing - suprise suprise.
I am not sure about 1/2 cup of cider vinegar tho, I used two cap fulls only, tipped straight on the wet hair.
I am not sure if a lot of cider vinegar going down the septic would be so good, but probably not half as bad as shampoo
I think if you wash your hair very frequently that you strip the natural oils out of your scalp and its quite damaging

More
11 years 4 months ago #447460 by greenfingers

SarahM;447566 wrote: Would anyone like to swap hair? :eek: Mine is falling out in handfulls after having my baby 3 months ago. Some serious moulting going on, & also my hair is fine. [}:)]

Hi Sarah, don't worry your hair should come back!!! I had this happen to me after both my kids - hormones huh?!!! Another one of those things you don't find out about til it happens :( I freaked out when it happened to me the first time, but by the time baby no. 1 was about 11 months old my hair had started growing back again. Just after baby no. 2 was born I went and had my hair trimmed shortish and layered to hide the fact all my lovely long hair was about to become ratty.

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
11 years 4 months ago #447485 by max2
I did a white vinegar rinse this morning and I feel my hair isn't as dull or as '''set'' as it previously was. I will continue this for the rest of the week and see if the improvement continues... thankyou. I will also buy a bottle of selsun when next shopping this week and give that a go too.

I was thinking about your posts last night and wondering why this was happening to me now. then I remembered up until 4 years ago, I was using a product made by Pure Earth in Aussie that doesn't have the SLS and foaming agents in it. Its only since we have been here that I have used a commercial product long term.
I quite often say to Miss E, ''when did you last wash your hair?"' and I have always thought being a tom boy teenager that it wasn't on her priorities of to dos, but now I am thinking more of it for all of us.

Many thanks again for your thoughts. :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #447520 by tonic
i read a page online about the no shampoo system. it recommending using mixing up 1 tbsp baking soda with a cup of water and using a bit of that to wash the scalp and rinse. then mix of 1 tbsp acv in a cup of water and use some of it as conditioner, not all of it and rinse.

i imagine that would not do much harm to the septic system...

More
11 years 4 months ago #447522 by shad297
Always dilute the ACV in water when you use it. My 'go to' conditioner when I feel my hair needs it, works really well for me. I've only tried baking soda a couple of times and I think it takes a bit of getting used to.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
11 years 4 months ago #447544 by Kiwi303

swaggie;447568 wrote: Well I could do that too Kiwi, but you mightn't find me so attractive anymore.... :D :D [8D]

Shouldn't you be worrying about what hubby thinkss ;) not some stranger on the interwebs? :P

I had a GF at uni, shaved bald, nose ring and ear ring with a chain along the cheek between them... goth spiked neck collar and wore tatty black.

Hair or no hair is fairly irrelevent.

Through my chinese GF has nice long black silky smooth hair, I don't know what she washes it with :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 4 months ago #447562 by Lindeggs
Re: pregnancy and hair loss. My Mum was a hairdresser for many years and she says she had a few clients who had major hair loss during pregnancy then the hair grew back quite different to how it had been before. e.g. straight har grew back curly, fair hair grew back dark. Amazing what our hormones can do!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
11 years 4 months ago #447579 by max2

Kiwi303;447741 wrote: Shouldn't you be worrying about what hubby thinkss ;) not some stranger on the interwebs? :P

Nah, married now, doesn't matter... :D :D :D :D :D :D

(says she, waiting for the bites whilst fishing). :D [8D]

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds