Shampoo change needed - recommendations

More
11 years 5 months ago #33767 by max2
I wash my hair daily and until recently was washing it with P*ntene cl*ssic clean. Every now and then my scalp gets irritated so I then switch over to head and shoulders for a wash or two with good results.

However over the last fortnight I have noticed my fine hair dull and feeling like its got some sort of coating on it. I have dropped using conditioner and change shampoos again this week to fruit*s or whatever its called oily scalp and dry ends, but its not shifting the buildup. (not that I have ever noticed having oily scalp but I thought it might shift whatever build up is there).

any thoughts? Is it me having a mid life moment with the hair follicles? I am very careful to ensure I comb the conditioner through the hair and then again during rinsing so I am positive i am getting everything out. I don't dye my hair or do much with it apart from put it up in a clip or plait.

I don't go to a hairdresser often enough to have built up a client relationship and the one I did go to is married to someone who I would prefer didn't know my hair problem, as this is only new to me.

(yeah I know, I can post it on a public forum etc etc but you know what I am saying.... [;)]).

Any thoughts or new shampoo suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #447356 by drifter
Pantene is very bad for hair as everyday product according to my hairdresser. Although is is brilliant for giving extra shine for a special occasion :)

My suggestion is to book a decent wash with any hairdresser and get rid of the build up of silicone(? I think that's what my hairdresser said was the cause of the build up)
Then, if you are like me and too tight to use salon products[;)], change to Tresemme which is lovely as an everyday product even in thick long hair.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
11 years 5 months ago #447357 by Andrea1
What about NOT using shampoo at all? I was having similar problems with about everything I put on my scalp for years, and was reading on the interwebs, as you do, and found a number of websites dedicated to NON-shampooing. I have not used shampoo or conditioner on my hair for going on 6 years, and it remains the healthiest it's ever been. I just wash it in the shower every few days (more in summer) by just running warm water through it and massaging my scalp with my fingertips. My husband also went to no shampoo about a year after I did. Kids, who also decided to stop using shampoo around the same time DH did have gone back to using a very mild shampoo because of their raging hormones and increased oil production.

You will go through a period of itchiness and oiliness (varies from person to person -- I had it for about 3 weeks, DH for less time) while the hair and scalp sort of 're-balance'.

Just my thoughts....

More
11 years 5 months ago #447358 by morioka
I too have found that the less I wash my hair the less it seems to need washing :confused:- any kind of hair conditioning product just seems to make it heavy and greasy so they are mostly avoided.

More
11 years 5 months ago #447359 by ccrk9
Selsun Blue is brilliant. Cheap at $4 to $6 a bottle at supermarket. I use lots and it leaves my hair soft and shiny. Just rinse well.

Hint - you can use it on your dogs as well. An American vet suggested it for dogs with skin conditions as its way cheaper than the fancy shampoos vets sell. My vet said she didnt know what I was using on one of my dogs but its working (hehe) and I didnt enlighten the vet.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
11 years 5 months ago #447360 by ccrk9
Also remember if your hair has a build up of shampoo, rinse with dilute white (I have used malt) vinegar in water after shampooing then rinse this out of hair. It dosent seem to strip hair oils and make it dry but it ensures all shampoo is stripped out - I dont do this with the selsun shampoo as there is no need.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
11 years 5 months ago #447361 by stephclark
panteen is the pits[:(!].. your hair feels like it has a coating because it does... panteen contains a silicon like product that sticks to the hair shaft.. which is what gives hair the shine, but it builds up and builds up..it will also mess up any colour treatment because the colourant cant penetrate the hair evenly....you will need to get a very good stripping shampoo to remove it..
i, personally , dont use the cheap supermarket shampoos as i find it uneconomical..sounds daft.. but if you use a good quality shampoo you use a heck of alot less and your hair wont need washing as often..
i have coloured fine fluffy flyaway hair.. i use SP hydrate.. ok its about $30 a bottle.. but it lasts me over 6 months.. and my hair is manageable, shiney and only gets washed every 3rd day.. doesnt look limp or greasy

anyway thats just my opinion :D

More
11 years 5 months ago #447363 by sarniagirl
I had the same problem and very reluctantly tried shampoo at hairdresser its a biolage one.Nearly had a heart attack at the price about $30 but gosh what a transformation.You need such a tiny amount that the bottle lasts for months and months so the cost worked out the same really.
Go on treat yourself...if it makes you feel better ...Us farmgirls need to feel great when we are usually walking about in gumboots and covered in rural stff :D

More
11 years 5 months ago #447365 by shad297
I second the vinegar treatment. I occasionally use 1/4 cup cider vinegar with 3/4 warm water in shower (I use old shampoo bottle) pour over my head after shampooing. Strips hair of any product and returns it to correct pH (apparently) don't know about that but it makes my hair very soft. I don't use conditioner/mousse/hairspray and my hair is thick and not coloured. Only smells vinegary whilst hair is wet and dissipates quickly.
I have been thinking of going 'no poo' also for a while and don't use anything with SLS in it.
Best one I have found is Dr Hulda's Hair Shampoo, $20 for 250ml and I think the only distributor in NZ is Viola Organics (made in Aussie). You only need a bit and after trying a few over the last few years keep going back to it.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
11 years 5 months ago #447366 by max2
Many thanks everyone, I was thinking it was just me having a hormonal moment or something...

I have heaps of vinegar here so will try that tomorrow morning to see if it feels any better.

I had forgotten about selsun from years ago. Will look out for it again.

Andrea, many thanks for the suggestion, my Aussie neighbour went poo less as well but I can't just make that jump yet esp. working in the hospitality industry, having an itching head probably won't endear me to the patrons.... :D [;)]

More
11 years 5 months ago #447382 by SarahM
Would anyone like to swap hair? :eek: Mine is falling out in handfulls after having my baby 3 months ago. Some serious moulting going on, & also my hair is fine. [}:)]

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
11 years 5 months ago #447383 by Kiwi303
Ah, the benefits of being male...

#12 buzz cut when it gets a bit long, and soap for the wash....

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 5 months ago #447384 by max2

Kiwi303;447567 wrote: Ah, the benefits of being male...

#12 buzz cut when it gets a bit long, and soap for the wash....

Well I could do that too Kiwi, but you mightn't find me so attractive anymore.... :D :D [8D]

More
11 years 5 months ago #447385 by llvonn
I use baking soda (mixed with water) and a cider vinegar rinse. Works well and is really good if you are on a budget. I do colour my hair (swap labour with a hairdresser) and my hair is very fine (read limp) and it seems to add some body to my hair.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
11 years 5 months ago #447399 by DiDi
Hey Swaggie - I am not sure I can be part of this as I dye my hair but I totally understand where you are coming from. I have built up allergies to hair dye and shampoos over the years and my 96 year old Mum without dyed hair is also struggling (having used Pantene) in that it is all the chemicals in the products that are causing the problems. Obvious!

In my own case, I am using a product that I can only get at Westfield Manukau called PPS and it is brilliant. It is at the Hair Shop when you turn left from the food court towards Foodtown and it is on your right. Just a hair product shop.

No it is not cheap but the relief from tearing my scalp apart is worth it to me. I have been using it for over 12 months and no issues. Funnily enough, you cannot get it through regular hairdressers. Having said that, I want my hair silky soft and this does it with the Conditioner as well so just an add on to your options.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds