Counting Blessings (somewhat desperately)

More
9 years 6 months ago #33756 by Blueberry
Hi Guys
i started out having a big old whinge about the things that hit us this week (one car radiator blown, tyre exploded on other car just shy of the 100kph zone, the subsequent wrench injuring my wrist, concked out mobile phone, Dad's in hospital with a complicated arm fracture, and i found my favourite ewe lamb dead - tangled in the fence - this morning. Please note this is in order of occurence, not importance!![;)] )

But then i read Andrea's post - and it all seems so much less dramatic.

So instead i'm counting my blessings: the above mentionned blown tyre did NOT lead to a serious accident, hubby and I are reasonably healthy and fit, we just sold three cows to the works and got some ready cash, the blueberries are starting to ripen, we are having a beautiful and entertaining crop of chicks and ducklings, and two weeks leave are coming up!

so, in all that seasonal madness - what are your highlights?

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #447234 by Kiwi303
Highlights?

School goes bankrupt, no pay for last month and a half worked, plus visa/work permit support zero from failed school.
New job, preliminary paperwork for new province goes fine, fly there and school denied ability to sponsor new teacher.
New job in ANOTHER province, but visa running out so trip to hong kong for new tourist visa to provide time for new school to process working visa paperwork. HK visa office says no visa fromt hem, apply in home country.

So to look on the bright side I'll be home for Christmas. Time to get some hunting in and maybe fishing :P

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
9 years 6 months ago #447239 by Hawkspur
Well my blessings are, that after many years of illness that fluctuated from the manageable to the life-is-not-worth-living, I am getting effective treatment, and yeehah for the right combination of drugs. I could not believe the difference in three days, from feeling unable to cope with putting washing on the line, to being able to do some payable work for the first time in more than a year.

And thanks to all you folk on here who unknowingly have supported me through those dark days. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all. :)

More
9 years 6 months ago #447251 by Cinsara
My occurance of the week would have to be my car accident on Wed 12/12/12 [:0] My 1992 Nissan Safari was T Boned by an old dude in an ancient Holden Commodore Belina who pulled away from a stop sign in a side street straight into the side of my wagon. I was spun around and ended up in a ditch facing the way I had been driving, I was unharmed and luckly so was the 80 year old other driver (I rang later that day to make sure he was ok as things can happen after the fact at that age).
Thing is the car is going to take weeks to fix IF they fix it as the rear axle took the impact, and the loan car costs $11.50 a day or $350 for the month and I don't have that sort of cash going spare (insurance will cover costs in excess of $25 a day so no help there). If they write it off it is going to really P me off because it was my late husbands car and my LSB workhorse therefore irreplaceable to me.
BUT no one was hurt - yay - it is merely a financial cost and an inconvenience, so that is my highlight and my blessing :)

A safe and happy Christmas to all x

>

More
9 years 6 months ago #447252 by Cinsara

Hawkspur;447406 wrote: I could not believe the difference in three days, from feeling unable to cope with putting washing on the line, to being able to do some payable work for the first time in more than a year.

Oh that is fantastic news Hawkspur, long may the improvement continue [;)]

>

More
9 years 6 months ago #447262 by SarahM
Our septic field pump died $600, we had to call in the 'honey sucker' $150, I needed a tooth extracted plus associated complications $270, & we'd just ordered $500 worth of fertiliser beforehand. We've just gone onto a single income due to maternity leave. I'm counting our blessings though as my parents have decided to contribute some cash as a Xmas present - now we can relax a little. Thank goodness I had Xmas Club grocery vouchers & had stored up groceries during my pregnancy, or else we'd be really, really poor. :o

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
9 years 6 months ago #447278 by max2
its pretty much how my life has been in the last 6 months, the very highs and then the very lows... all out of my control.

I wake in the morning and generally find Hubby beside me unless he is rostered for day shift, my daughter is made a hot chocolate to sip whilst she wakes, tea in bed for us and then up and out and we walk the ''view'' doing our chores.

How much more pleasant can a day start with? Its ends with a cuppa or wine on the verandah. Perhaps even a hot choc at 2.30am when sleep stops for a while (neg of being married to a pt shift worker).

We are mostly there to all breakfast together, and generally all eat together at night.

that is my blessing in my life.

More
9 years 6 months ago #447293 by kindajojo
This year will be the first xmas without my dearly loved Dad, which sux but I have great children, good memories of him, I am healthy, have a great job and some really supportive friends. I have a particularly dumb labrador but she is a big softie and loves cuddles and attention..... and thats about all you can say of life ...its not what you have got its what you give

More
9 years 6 months ago #447303 by Andrea1
That's really great news, Hawkspur, keep it going in the right direction! I hope I can join you on the road to recovery soon.....

At the risk of sharing TMI, I am most thankful for my husband and children. DH and I have been together for going on 27 years (been married almost 25 of them). I grew up in an abusive home, but have overcome all that to have a good marriage and a great relationship with my kids. Had a lot of ups and downs, some regrets, but since coming to New Zealand 10 years ago, we've felt like this is really home.

More
9 years 6 months ago #447317 by stephclark
have been out of work for the past 2 months ( after 10 years at same company )..miss it terribly :( ..
trying not to worry about the money ( or lack of ).. OH isnt an earner either, and am thinking dark thoughts about having to sell the little bit of paradise we have lived in for 28 years.. :(

on the upside.. i have spent 2 months in the garden and it is absolutley wonderful this year,.. a profusion of cottage flowers and roses..

i have rediscovered cooking and baking and am enjoying keeping the pantry and fridge stocked.. not so much enjoying the increasing waist line[;)]

i have just spent an amusing hour watching a black bird 'playing' on the car windscreen.. clambering up the glass and sithering back down again..

life has slowed to a crawl.. no charging out the door in the morning to sit in traffic, spend 8 hours in a city office just to sit in traffic again on the way home..

i am enjoying having the time to do nothing but watch whats happeng around me.. i have time to devote to family and friends, instead of just a quick e mail once in a while..i have the time to enjoy the time left to my ageing pets...

lifes good :D

More
9 years 6 months ago #447319 by muri
Hawspur, am so pleased to hear you are heading towards a plataeu. Your posts have always been so positive and helpful to other people with obvious time and thought put in to help them along the way. Who would have guessed your struggle so well done.
Have just had my 5th annual check up post cancer and been declared fit and healthy. Another 5 years flown by that i may not have had if I hadnt been so lucky
No one knows what lies around the corner tomorrow, so take what you were given today and make the most of it
Now if the world is going to end next week..............???

More
9 years 6 months ago #447330 by ZummersetGirl
Sharing with friends is a necessity - can you imagine how life would be with no-one to share with? Friends listen to the good and bad, are there for you through thick and thin, will support you through the bad and help you enjoy the good. The posters (?postees??) to LSB forum are people who may never meet but can be counted as friends because they are supportive, tell it how it is and give all of this without expectation of reward - what more can you ask of a friend? Sending positive vibes and blessings of the season to all who use the forum. Merry Christmas :) :)

More
9 years 6 months ago #447352 by stephclark
great news Muri and great advice..

as for the world ending next week??.. well at least we can save on chrissy pressies :D

More
9 years 6 months ago #447362 by ccrk9
It seems it been a pretty crap year for lots of us. Its just been one of those years for so many. I had health issues and then tried to die from an allergic reaction, various neighbours have either been in and out of hospital or had family members in and out of hospital - one or two where the news isnt good. Other things have gone on that have been sad or unpleasant and upsetting. For a small neighbourhood I think we have had our share of knocks and as long as the world dosent end this week we are all looking forward to a new year. :-)

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
9 years 6 months ago #447403 by Hawkspur
Thanks for your kind coments. :)

Had a lovely day with some friends today. They are definitely a blessing worth counting.

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds