Goodbye to Maude aged about 12

More
15 years 1 month ago #336 by Ghilly
I got an e-mail this week from my friend in Christchurch to tell me my old chook Maude had died. I can't remember what year I got her and her sisters so I'm not sure exactly how old she was.... at least 12 but no older than 14. She was a grand old lady.... in fact she was a grand young lady as well.

Now I have another chook knocking on deaths door. I went out to feed them this morning and they'd all picked on one. She was laying on her side and unable to sit up or stand. Poor darling. I don't know why they all pick on her but this mornings attack was vicious!
I have her inside in a cat cage, covered and she has water and food, plus some homeopathic stuff to reduce swelling and to calm her. I don't know if she'll make it. She's not at all a well girl. If she pulls through I'm going to build a seperate shelter for them and they can wander about the driveway rather than in the back yard with the Arucanas. Slugger gets on with them well and they help her keep clean by picking bits of mash out of her head feathers. She's much cleaner since they've started doing that and it's not an unwanted gesture, she stands quite still and lets them get the mash, they don't seem to go for her head, just the feathers.

The crook chook seems to be the one who lays the very reddish brown eggs which are quite something. I've never seen such a rich coloured shell.

Someone laid a dud this morning. You know when someone has had a nasty wound that has since healed and the edge sort of puckers with the new skin underneath, well the egg is like that. Oh like a tree that's long lost a branch and the bark is closing in over the site. Yeah, that's it! At least it didn't roll off the bench. Hard case looking thing.

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #42976 by Louise W
Oh sorry to hear about Maude but what a grand old age!

Chickens know when one of their own is not long for this world I think and tend to help them on their way. Nature's way of being cruel to be kind perhaps? I had something similar happen with one of my old hens and ended up removing her from the main mob and putting her in a separate shelter but I felt so sorry for her alone - I tried to give her a friend but the friend picked on her too so she was better off/safer alone. She didn't last long in the end, it was probably only another couple of months until I found her in her run, no more :(

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

More
15 years 1 month ago #42980 by Dream Weaver
Sorry to hear your news and as you say she sure lived a good life and to a grand old age.

More
15 years 1 month ago #42990 by Ghilly
The other chook is still alive and looks a bit brighter but still can't sit up. She managed to rid herself of her egg today.... all over my lap in a sort of unprocessed parts sort of way. She's had water but doesn't seem to be interested in food, even when I feed it to her. I've tried pellets and mash. At the moment she's under the plastic laundry basket on the deck in the sun with a blanket blocking off the breeze. There's a good chance she may have brain damage but if she doesn't show signs of definate improvement I'll have to get her put down. Buggar! I'd decided to call this one Scarlet O'Hara because she lays very dark brownish red eggs.

Yakut

More
15 years 1 month ago #42993 by Louise W
I had a rooster once who, bless him, was brain damaged after being pecked nearly to death by a mob of older chicks (they pecked all the way through his head so that his skull was exposed). He eventually healed up and led a pretty normal life but was very imprinted and spent more time with humans than the other chooks. I was heartbroken when I got up one morning and saw him out on the lawn, one bite mark to the neck :( a damned stoat! I had grown very attached to 'Skull' and his funny ways and I was really quite distraught when he died. Hope your girl pulls through, sometimes it is amazing what they can recover from.

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

More
15 years 1 month ago #43026 by Ghilly
She's still going. She sleeps on her back but seems to be quite alert. I've been taking her out onto the deck for some rehabilitation. She's still closing one eye but then she sleeps a lot as well so I'm never sure if she's having a nap or her eye is just shut. She practically stood today in the cage and when I had her out on the deck she tried to walk with me holding her up. One foot almost in front of the other. She got most of the attack on the right side of her head and it's her right leg that seems to be a bit lost in the scheme of things. I've been trying my best to shove mash down her but I have to put it right at the back of her throat or she spits it out, water she will take on her own if I hold the container under her beak. I've been giving her arconite and a drop of colloidail silver and the swelling seems to have gone down a bit. Her comb is bright red and healthy looking but was a bit floppy this morning. It's since perked up a little. The fact that she is an ex battery and has never seemed to have an overwhelming fear of humans.... or anything else for that matter, has helped because she's not frightened of me. If she had to deal with that fear she might not have made it this far. Fright is a birds real downfall.
I figure if I can get food into her and she is resting .... well it's a plus. Hopefully she will regain her balance. If not.....

I've seen a few stoat like things on the roads. I've not seen any before but a few months ago I would see their nasty little forms loping across the road, just far enough in front of the headlights to get a look. Maybe their numbers are up this year? Hedgehogs can't get into their run but I like hedgehogs so I'm not bothered if they are around. Possums are rare, not enough trees. Rats and mice we have in abundance. A large healthy looking rat sauntered past me the other night when I went out to give Hanukkah her bottle. It was in the shelter. I was standing in the doorway, the only way out. Koru was sitting in the doorway as well so there wasn't much space and this thing waddled its way out and past me. I stood stock still hoping it wasn't going to shoot up my trousers or down into my boots.
It disapeared. I never saw which way it went and in fact I shone the torch about just to see if it was still in there. Nope, gone. It must have walked over my gumboots cos there weren't nowhere else for it to go! Euuuuuuw! Charming!

Yakut

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds