Animal welfare concerns for Hobbit

More
9 years 7 months ago #33543 by Hawkspur
I was reading this , and wondering whether the story was hype, factual, or somewhere in between, when the comment,
"He said horses run at speeds of up to 50kmh and need to be housed on flat land: "It's just a no-brainer.""
made me really wonder what this guy knows about horses.
Yes, they need good fences. Yes, they need to be fenced from cliffs and tomos etc, but saying they can only be kept on flat land is ridiculous.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #444795 by Blueberry
Anything for five minutes limelight...

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
9 years 7 months ago #444800 by arnie.m
Sounds like the person who had the contract to look after the animals is at fault, not the Hobbit filming. Why were not these concerns published earlier if these people were concerned or is it just publicity seeking again. Of course any animal welfare problems should be jumped on straight away and it appears this may have been.

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
9 years 7 months ago #444803 by igor
These fools live in an alternative reality. The real danger is that they breed and their offspring are even more weird.

More
9 years 7 months ago #444898 by ngeorge

More
9 years 7 months ago #444910 by Hawkspur
Thanks, ngeorge. It was good to hear the other side. A very different picture.

More
9 years 7 months ago #444919 by drifter
Anything that has PETA involvement in it puts up red flags for me. They are not just 'economical with the truth' than can be downright stingy with it[}:)]
So I dismiss their assertions out of hand.

The people I know personally, who leased horses to LOTR or the Hobbit, were very happy with their horses care. In fact, their only gripe seemed to be that they couldn't show off their fabulous photos until the films were in the cinemas. :)

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
9 years 7 months ago #444951 by muri
While the wrangler says he is not trying to harm the film etc, you do wonder at his timing, prior to the opening of the movie next week, so obviously politically motivated on his part, he was dismissed off the set last year for kicking a pig in the head!

More
9 years 7 months ago #445145 by Valmai
I know the mother of a girl who was in TLOTR. Her horse was one of only a few who would wear all the 'gear' andstill perform. Her horse was injured during filming and PJ and/or production company stumped up $10,000 in vet bills for that horse.

Carbon-based biological unit.

More
9 years 7 months ago #445189 by Toast
$10,000! Must have been substantial injury but glad to hear PJ etc footed the bill.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
9 years 7 months ago #445193 by Valmai
Many years ago, and I dont remember many details (we were shooting the breeze waiting for the 2nd herd to pull on their big girl bloomers and walk past the irrigator). Apparently Peter Jackson took a real shine to her horse. It required several months agistment and rehabilitation before the horse could come home.

Carbon-based biological unit.

Time to create page: 0.267 seconds