Bankruptcy rant...

More
9 years 7 months ago #33540 by Kiwi303
Bankruptcy rant... was created by Kiwi303
Well, the private language school I have been working at has just gone bust...

Showed up to the office on Thursday to pick up the last months pay, and found all the local staff walking out and locking up. The school went tits up and no-one is getting paid.

Just as my next three months rent is due, and being bankrupt, the visa sponsorship of the company is worth exactly Squat, Zero, Nil and Zilch. So rather than being a NZ grand in the clear, i am 600NZ in the red to the landlord and no money left...

I hate when shit like this happens.

Oh well, rant over and CV's going out to other employers...

Grrr........

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #444778 by judes
Replied by judes on topic Bankruptcy rant...
oh bugga!! Hopefully something turns up soon.

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
9 years 7 months ago #444786 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Bankruptcy rant...
Stink! Can you get out of it ok?

More
9 years 7 months ago #444790 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Bankruptcy rant...
Sorry to hear this - wouldn't have thought that something like this would happen in booming China with a growth rate in the two digits etc.

Hope you get out of it ok.

Is it difficult to find a new job?

More
9 years 7 months ago #444792 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Bankruptcy rant...
Oh no!
This happened to the school my brother was working for in Japan years ago.

Good luck with finding work.
Can you get help from the embassy/consulate in pursuing any funds? If several Kiwis are affected, they may be quite useful. I know it isn't likely you will get much but it may be worth trying.

More
9 years 7 months ago #444856 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Bankruptcy rant...
Kiwi did you enter this arrangement via a NZ contact or business? I think it also best if you go to the NZ consular and seek advice...

More
9 years 7 months ago #444863 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Bankruptcy rant...
I got this job here in CQ after the contract with the university ended in July. which reminds me I should update my user title. I got the CQJTU job while in NZ, flew over for the academic years work, but the uni replaces all foreign teachers yearly, so I found a job here yself. 2 months fine and then this!

I have CVs out and three places are sending me contracts to look over, so we shall see. I just hope the landlord doesn't boot me before a new employer gives me a new paycheque to sothe the savage landlord with. :P

No NZ consulate in CQ, only the embassy in Beijing and the consulates in Shanghai and HK. No other Kiwis, an aggro aussie, a couple of south africans and the rest are brits or yanks. Plus the local staff.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
9 years 7 months ago #444869 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Bankruptcy rant...
Hi Kiwi, as a landlord a bit of advice, go to your landlord explain the position, let them know you have CV's out for new jobs, and if you haven't been behind in the rent before, most landlords will meet you halfway over a situation like this. Watch the papers, if they have gone into liquidation you can possibly apply for your wages if there are any assets etc. Good luck and I hope things work out for you. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds