Eclipse tomorrow morning

More
9 years 7 months ago #33485 by spoook
Will be able to be seen about 8.30 to 10.30, best in the far north.
At least it is at a reasonable hour.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #444290 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Eclipse tomorrow morning
Not if you're sitting NCEA L1 Maths.

More
9 years 7 months ago #444311 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Eclipse tomorrow morning
Just a pity there is no sun to see this morning though, its already been ecliplsed by cloud cover

More
9 years 7 months ago #444320 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Eclipse tomorrow morning
Seems the best will be at 10.25am at Whangarei.
We have full sun and shifting cloud here, I have an appointment at 10.45 so will have to take the welding helmet with me.

Right now all I can see is the full sun, no visible sign of the moon, but then again, it would rather be outshon by the sun anyway. [;)]

More
9 years 7 months ago #444322 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Eclipse tomorrow morning
It has started.......... there is the tiniest dark crescent at the top left edge of the sun. [:0]

More
9 years 7 months ago #444327 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Eclipse tomorrow morning
This morning some astronomer on the radio said that if you didn't know it was happening you wouldn't because it would make no appreciable difference.

However, I certainly would have wondered because of the peculiar quaility of the sunlight which is at present shining out of a clear blue sky. The dining room which has the sun coming in and should be flooded with light at this time of the morning is dull and there has been a marked drop in temperature. Quite surreal.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
9 years 7 months ago #444329 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Eclipse tomorrow morning
Its cloudy here but was quite bright and I could see the sun behind the cloud earlier. Now its become very dull - not due to the eclipse I think - so chance to see it is slim. Have a thought for the 60,000 who went to Cairns specially and its not so clear there either!

More
9 years 7 months ago #444332 by skyline_glenn
Beautiful here in Wellington, tracking it with the hole in a bit of card because stupid me forgot my welding helmet this morning. It is certainly not as bright as normal and a bit cooler, well that's what it seems

Glenn

More
9 years 7 months ago #444333 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Eclipse tomorrow morning
I was wrong - it was due to the eclipse! I remembered I had some exposed x-ray film so went out and looked through that and although cloudy the eclipse was very clear and can still see the moon working its way downwards across the sun! Why didn't I think of it a few minutes earlier!

More
9 years 7 months ago #444345 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Eclipse tomorrow morning
The light had an almost translucent quality to it, everything seemed very sharp and clear.
The wind, which had been strong stopped completely, the birds did go quiet, even more talkative gallahs wouldnt say a word and didnt scream when a customer came as they usually do.
The temperature dropped to 6 degrees, it was quite eerie.
And the wind totally dropped away for perhaps an hour or more. Its quite a strong wind so its not what you would expect,
And now the wind has resumed, the temp has climbed another 5 degrees and the feeling is quite different

More
9 years 7 months ago #444346 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Eclipse tomorrow morning
Freaky :D I was working at a cafe...only one there who knew what was happening, so got them all outside for a look, the cloud covered it just enough to safely see the crescent sun through it...awesome!

Did get very cold too, and yes, a weird light.

I seem to remember similar from childhood, funny feeling, deja vu.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
9 years 7 months ago #444351 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Eclipse tomorrow morning
didnt have anything to look at the sun with but the lighting was very strange, the shadows were so crisp and clear it was weird. The birds went quiet as well.

More
9 years 7 months ago #444353 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Eclipse tomorrow morning
We saw it really clearly, start, middle and end, through some special glasses sent out to the school next door (we are at preschool). Went a bit darker, shadows very sharp like on a full moon at night.

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
9 years 7 months ago #444354 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Eclipse tomorrow morning

Ronney;444199 wrote: This morning some astronomer on the radio said that if you didn't know it was happening you wouldn't because it would make no appreciable difference.

Hmmm...'twas eldritch [;)] - not often you get a chance to use that word, so making most of it! [}:)] :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
9 years 7 months ago #444358 by BillyTheTractor
we saw it quite well up here. not a cloud in the sky though and I heard it was better if it was a bit cloudy. This was the best I could get taking a photo with my eyes closed!

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/444231=11529-solar eclipse.jpg[/img]

Wee Farm

Time to create page: 0.266 seconds