Moisture barrier under existing house

• Andrea
9 years 7 months ago #33443 by Andrea
What's the best way to do it around the existing piles under an older home (with a crawl space just barely big enough for child! - our son's going to install it, as we can't get under there easily at all)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #443901 by ZummersetGirl
We used black plastic - 250micro building plastic - over lapped the edges and carefully cut round piles.

More
9 years 7 months ago #443909 by Andrea1
Thanks, ZG, 250 microns is what we plan to use, but the, uh, 'logistics' under the house are not nice (like very little room to move and cut safely). Bloody nightmare, but it has to be done since we're only going to have the floor up once!

More
9 years 7 months ago #443917 by ZummersetGirl
I sent my eldest son under our house cos I don't like crawley thing dropping on me. :D
He was laying it directly on the ground and he started by laying in between the piles in a long row (the piles were mostly in a straight line) and because the ground sloped he then then made sure that where there was overlap, that second sheet of plastic rested on top of the first row, rather than under, in order to prevent water running over on top of the plastic.
In places he used duct tape to secure the plastic where he wanted it. And yes the house did feel warmer the following winter.

More
9 years 7 months ago #443930 by 4trees
Hi, our son put polythene down when he built his new house, and it worked well. We just used some big rocks around the outside to hold the polythene in place where the wind at the edge of the house where it would have lifted. Cheers and have fun!!!

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
9 years 7 months ago #444025 by Toast
Be sure before you do it that water doesn't already pond under the house because it will pond on top of the plastic.

The professionals bind plastic around and up the piles - not sure how high up though. I haven't looked under my house.

Everything's been done under there & I never want to have to look under there again!

Good luck with it. Will make a big difference. Definitely well worth doing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds