fluoridation and IQ harvard research

More
9 years 7 months ago #33434 by wandering free
When our kids were young it was generally accepted you didn't give tea to children under 3 yrs old, it makes you realize there was more to the old wives tale than meets the eye

www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/featu...-grandjean-choi.html

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #443778 by igor
This is why I, and many others, are vehemently opposed to the addition of fluoride to public reticulated water supplies.

More
9 years 7 months ago #443779 by jeannielea
Although they say there are areas of high fluoride in some parts of China they don't actually say if there was any standardisation in the amount of fluoride in the children tested, nor do they say how that compares with the amount that is normally used in western countries where water is fluoridated. So I think more information is needed before conclusions can be compared to kids in NZ who may live in such areas. As far as I'm aware fluoridation here is to improve teeth - wonder what condition those Chinese kids teeth are?

More
9 years 7 months ago #443782 by wandering free

igor;443588 wrote: This is why I, and many others, are vehemently opposed to the addition of fluoride to public reticulated water supplies.

Nelson was going to put it in there water 30 odd years ago, I found an article by a Professor Polya who specialized in biochemistry, he quoted an article in Nature magazine from the 1960's that pointed out the damaged done to the Serum cholinesterase by fluoride in very small amounts, no one answered my queries and they dropped it at the time but it has resurfaced periodically, so hopefully this latest research will put a stop to it once and for all.

I see the American dental association is saying it only applies to Chinese children and not harmful in the amounts in the US, maybe they have been on the stuff to long themselves and have wiped out what IQ they had.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,

More
9 years 7 months ago #443788 by Stikkibeek
Since it's a bi-product of smelted aluminium and doctors told us all to throw away our aluminium pots long ago due to poisoning ourselves, it's an oxymoron to then recommend taking fluoride tablets to promote better teeth.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 7 months ago #443795 by 3 girls farming
I'm so glad I've never let my children have fluoride tablets... nothing wrong with their teeth and certainly nothing wrong with their IQ...

More
9 years 7 months ago #443818 by LongRidge
With Type 1 diabetes, I am at very high risk of tooth problems. After 56 years, I still only have a few fillings. I am eternally grateful that my parents insisted on giving me fluoride tablets.
We did the same for our sons, one is now studying to be a medical doctor and has done 5 year. The other nearly got scholarships in maths and physics, didn't like doing Engineering so is now 3 years into Accountancy.
The Manager's father decided fluoride in small doses was poisonous. She has terrible problems with her teeth.
In my opinion, it's not much fun being brilliant but in constant pain because of teeth.
As pointed out, this is not an NZ study. In most parts of the world, selenium is not needed as a mineral supplement. Like selenium, fluoride and iodide are incredible low in NZ soils. Where the supplement comes from does not matter an iota. All that matters is that it is safe in the dose designed. After all, vegetables come from that very unhygenic place - the ground, which if you are organically inclined you have made dirtier by contaminating it with animal faeces.

More
9 years 7 months ago #443829 by Stikkibeek

LongRidge;443635 wrote: . After all, vegetables come from that very unhygenic place - the ground, which if you are organically inclined you have made dirtier by contaminating it with animal faeces.

Yes, but you can wash the muck off vegetables, with water contaminated by other "muck"

More
9 years 7 months ago #443844 by RichardW

3 girls farming;443610 wrote: I'm so glad I've never let my children have fluoride tablets... nothing wrong with their teeth and certainly nothing wrong with their IQ...

I was given fluoride tablets as a kids and my brothers and myself have had very poor teeth since,my kids have not had added fluoride to there diets and there teeth are very good so you can imagine how sceptical i am of the whole fluoride debate,i'm sure that diets low in sugar have more to do with maintaining good teeth health

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
9 years 7 months ago #443848 by muri
I do not know if there are different types of flouride, it is implied in this study as it says it is a naturally occuring product fround in the ground water. So this would mean there is not any control of how much is ingested by individuals and may in fact be different from the flouride that has been used in water in this country.
It would be very hard to do control experiments on something like this as there may be flouride in toothpaste etc so we do not know what quantities of flouride people are taking in
Interesting results tho

More
9 years 7 months ago #443853 by Scuba_Steve
I have seen some Ozzy thing not to long ago where they were saying drinking fluoride water ok, brushing teeth ok, brushing teeth & drinking the fluoride water potentially toxic.
They were seeing more cases of fluoride poising in modern times due to the addition of fluoride in drinking water & toothpaste.

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

More
9 years 7 months ago #443860 by morioka
WF, I hope you aren't trolling [V]

anyway the summary of the report says The results support the possibility of an adverse effect of high fluoride exposure on children's neurodevelopment. and also within the paper it states Still, each of the articles reviewed had deficiencies, in some cases rather serious ones, that limit the conclusions that can be drawn.

Personally it wouldn't make me rush to pull the flouride toothpaste quite yet until all this has happened "Future research should formally evaluate dose–response relations based on individual-level measures of exposure over time, including more precise prenatal exposure assessment and more extensive standardized measures of neurobehavioral performance, in addition to improving assessment and control of potential confounders.

More
9 years 7 months ago #443866 by wandering free

I just copied this from a website on ethnic differences in there reaction to fluoride, I think the last couple of lines says it all, if mass medication doesn't come under ethnic pharmacology I don't now what does.

Abstract We studied the activity of the enzyme pseudocholinesterase (serum cholinesterase) and its sensitivity to inhibition by dibucaine and fluoride in 400 (200 Iranian and 200 Irish) healthy subjects. The results show Irish subjects have significantly higher serum cholinesterase activity than Iranian subjects (7.82±0.14 vs 5.22±0.09 u/ml, mean ± SEM, p

More
9 years 7 months ago #443898 by kindajojo

wandering free;443585 wrote: When our kids were young it was generally accepted you didn't give tea to children under 3 yrs old, it makes you realize there was more to the old wives tale than meets the eye

www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/featu...-grandjean-choi.html

The tannins in tea bind to iron causing mal absorption so an old wives tale basis in fact

More
9 years 7 months ago #443925 by Stikkibeek
Fluoride in this country being a bi product of aluminium smeltering, makes you wonder if the link to aluminium and Alzheimers may in fact have a beginning in fluoride.

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds