Guess what i heard yesterday

More
11 years 5 months ago #33353 by RichardW
I was chatting with a lady yesterday while shearing her sheep and she was telling me about a couple form the UK that had moved into the area two years old,(now we talking about an area thats made up of 50% LSB's of between 5-20 Hectares and of larger sheep farms)The husband managed to get on with everyone in the area but the wife from day one got everyones back up,it was all about her and what she wanted,then 6 months after moving there she went door knocking with a petition to have all horses and riders band from riding around the local roads,because (1) she felt that they were dangering motorists and two horses flick up stones onto the road side lawns.Well she didn't get anyone to sign it but ended up get plenty of F@#* off's. :D ,
She told me a whole heap of other stuff that this woman was doing also,it really amazes me just how some people dont like getting on with there neighbours.

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #443032 by shad297
Especially as they are outsiders and foreigners who should do their utmost to get along with their neighbours. I can see why she got the back up of the locals. Maybe she is one of those types that always gets what she wants or doesn't have enough to do in her life.
Feel sorry for the husband really as it can be hard enough to fit in for some people to a new country and new way of life.
Some places can be very cliquey.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
11 years 5 months ago #443037 by Andrea1
Yeah. Been dealing with similar at a different level (on a committee) over the last year. Also from the UK. I know a lot of really wonderful folk from the UK, but there are a few I've encountered who really live up to the whinging pom stereotype, unfortunately...

More
11 years 5 months ago #443038 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Guess what i heard yesterday
She's not Welsh, is she?
We had a (fortunately) temporary neighbour like that. She said she'd started a petition to get me voted out of the neighbourhood. She didn't ask me to sign it and I don't know exactly what she said about me to anyone else, but I heard about some of it. She was seriously deranged and it was not an easy time for me in a community in which I've lived for most of my life - not that many people took her seriously, but there's that "smoke & fire" thing which makes people wonder what you've done. I hadn't; she was just nuts. It was such a relief when she sold up and moved, but I know she'll have been causing the same sort of hassle wherever she went next, and next ...

More
11 years 5 months ago #443040 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Guess what i heard yesterday
Since when are British people foreigners in New Zealand? I think a good majority of us Kiwis can still trace our ancestry back to the British Isles if we care to look. Rule Britannia.
The woman in question is obviously an idiot though. Not from the big city is she? Like shad297 I feel sorry for her husband. Perhaps he should have left her behind in the UK for the good of his mental health.

More
11 years 5 months ago #443042 by Flossie
Do you do sheep shearing in Okuku? Been waiting three weeks to get ours done....

~Flossie~

More
11 years 5 months ago #443048 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Guess what i heard yesterday

igor;442755 wrote: Since when are British people foreigners in New Zealand? I think a good majority of us Kiwis can still trace our ancestry back to the British Isles if we care to look. Rule Britannia. ...

Any recent immigrant will be regarded as a foreigner - their culture, assumptions, accents are all not local. That doesn't mean they won't be welcomed and accepted into their chosen community, but they're still not "locals" or Kiwis.

More
11 years 5 months ago #443057 by shad297

Ruth;442766 wrote: Any recent immigrant will be regarded as a foreigner - their culture, assumptions, accents are all not local. That doesn't mean they won't be welcomed and accepted into their chosen community, but they're still not "locals" or Kiwis.

Agreed. I grew up in UK and came here 25 years ago. Yes we speak the same language (kind of) but I felt 'foreign' when I first came and being the only female in an engineering company did get teased on a daily basis although it was always in good humour.
Kiwis are different.
Back then I had no expectations as it was just me, and took everything in my stride and accepted the NZ way of life as it was presented to me.
In fact on a recent trip back to my family in Berkshire I felt 'foreign'.
My kids are full blown kiwis (born here) although for some odd reason they have British accents and my husband who has lived in NZ all his life bar 4 months in Edinburgh doesn't have a kiwi accent either?
ps. have never mind being called a 'Pom' and can't stand 'whingeing poms' who come here and then complain about how they can't get this and that and have to whinge about every little thing because for some strange reason they expect NZ to be like England was. I wish those ones would just pack up and go back. (yes I have met one or two like that).

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
11 years 5 months ago #443076 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Guess what i heard yesterday
My response to her ...... you come here because we have what you want. do not try and change us, our culture or our way of life. If you want to have things your way then go back to where you come from and do it there.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
11 years 5 months ago #443081 by Blueberry
NO NO NO, you all got that wrong!

They come here to bring us poor peasants their enlightenment and help us on our way to a replica rat-race of the same kind they've just escaped from! it's pure altruism on their part that makes them put up with us!

:D :D :D [8D]

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
11 years 5 months ago #443084 by wandering free
It reminds me of when a subdivision was built near Norm Barnett's pig farm, they complained to the council about the smell, he'd been there for years but they rezoned him and he had to move.

We came when it was "bash a pom", "poms go home", "winging poms", "bloody poms", all the jokes were anti pom. we did wonder what we had come to but could understand it as every time we put the radio it was some pommy union agitator stirring trouble. I used to cringe as my accent was just like theirs, still haven't lost my accent, but have lots of good Kiwi friends and have never wished to go back to the UK.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
11 years 5 months ago #443086 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Guess what i heard yesterday
Queen Victoria was still reigning over the Empire upon which the sun never sets when my great-great-grandfather got his free ticket to Tasmania but I still consider myself to be of British stock. New Zealand being part of the British Commonwealth of Nations I make the distinction between immigrants from the "old country", whether by way of somewhere else or not, and other immigrants without apology. I believe I could safely also include many of our ex USA members in that group who could trace their origins back to Britain if they were to research deeply enough. That said, there are undoubtedly a few in any group of people who will be hard to get on with and cause trouble wherever they go along with the many who just get on with their own lives and fit in with those around them as best they can.

More
11 years 5 months ago #443091 by jeannielea
Maybe she was taking out the frustration of a hubby who insisted on going to a rural area when she really wanted to be in town?

More
11 years 5 months ago #443093 by RichardW

Flossie;442758 wrote: Do you do sheep shearing in Okuku? Been waiting three weeks to get ours done....

PM sent :D :D

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

More
11 years 5 months ago #443095 by RichardW

jeannielea;442812 wrote: Maybe she was taking out the frustration of a hubby who insisted on going to a rural area when she really wanted to be in town?

Yes you may have a good point and she also may well have got her way too because the marriage broke up only recently,i dont know whether there's kids evolved or whether the place is on the market etc etc

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds