India

More
9 years 8 months ago #33263 by kai
India was created by kai
anyone been on holiday? an recommendations any advice on the best places to look for info?
Time of year to go. Planning a months holiday in a year or so, it is a place I have always dreamed of going to.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #442136 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic India
Don't go in June or September, which is usually when the India monsoons occur. All that wet spells disease. And in July, when the heat builds back up, it can also be extremely humid.

On the other hand this can also make travel cheaper.
India is probably at its best in their winter as although you will get cloudless skies in summer, with no rain for days and days, you will also get high temperatures, and in some parts of India it is not uncommon for temps to get up around 40ºC

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 8 months ago #442137 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic India
Don't go in June or September, which is usually when the India monsoons occur. All that wet spells disease. And in July, when the heat builds back up, it can also be extremely humid.

On the other hand this can also make travel cheaper.
India is probably at its best in their winter as although you will get cloudless skies in summer, with no rain for days and days, you will also get high temperatures, and in some parts of India it is not uncommon for temps to get up around 40ºC

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 8 months ago #442138 by kai
Replied by kai on topic India
Although I don't like 40C, as long as it is not humid I can cope, as we used to get summer temperatures like that at the last place we owned (however temps round 30C are a lot nicer).
Cost will be a factor, though don't want to penny pinch so much that the holiday is not enjoyable.

More
9 years 8 months ago #442176 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic India
Do you want to do it independently or happy with a small group?

Company I have been around Middle East and Turkey (total of four tours over the years) with is great, mixed ages, small groups, cool places to stay and lots of freedom to enjoy off the beaten track. A nice compromise between big packages and independent.

Looking at a tour there next year through this company...Imaginative Traveller, google them.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
9 years 8 months ago #442199 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic India
I spent a month touring around with a friend and her father and uncle a few years ago. Friend is Canadian born Indian and her father and uncle are both Indian - speak a number of languages.

It was GREAT!!!! We did a lot of off the tourist route stuff, stayed with family and friends. We started in Mumbai and went south by train, often on overnight sleepers. We then travelled up the coast to Chennai, then inland to Hyderabad. From there a train trip to New Delhi (to stay with more family) and see the Taj Mahal.

It was really great having people who spoke the language. And (I hate to say it) older males who spoke the languages. By the end of my time there I could understand most of what people said to me in Hindi - but couldn't make myself understood. White female tourists are there to be fleeced - having a male Indian to back me up meant that didn't happen. Rail booking clerks (multiple times) tried to put me on the wrong train at the wrong time and would not change it until one of the guys stepped up - clerk didn't realised we were together until then. It became a bit of a challenge. I'd go to the window to book our tickets and we would see which clerks were honest and which weren't!! Everything was cheaper when one of the guys bargined for it.

Don't go to the south from about end of February - April or May (I forget when). It gets really hot. We were there mid February and everyone slept in the middle of the day even then.

Beautiful, amazing, wonderful country. Huge contrasts. People are fantastic and so varied. I didn't get sick - very careful about eating and drinking. Would go again, especially with Indian friends, like a shot.

More
9 years 8 months ago #442405 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic India
We spent 3 months in India back packing 10 years ago, barely scratched the surface - I would imagine you'd need a year to see it properly.... We spent time in the south in Feb - April, the weather was hot, not wet. I loved it and would go back in a heart beat. Eat what the locals eat and drink bottled water and you'll be fine! Goa was awesome, as was Kerala, great places for just a holiday, and not too much of a culture shock....

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds