How to tighten window stays ?

More
11 years 4 months ago #33238 by trixie
Hi - Hopefully there is a clever handyperson out there. I have aluminium windows and with age they now swing right out in the wind. The stays seem to have rivets not screws, is there anyway of tightening them ?
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #441832 by GrantK
We had the same problem at our Auckland house when we lived there. The only solution I could find was to fit "Securi-Stays" to the offending windows. These give a range of opening distances that you can choose, although they are a bit of a pain to disengage, if you decide that you want to open the window up fully.

It may be possible to replace the original pop-rivets by drilling them out and re-rivetting with a new one of the correct size, although not cheap or easy.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 4 months ago #441851 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic How to tighten window stays ?
I have the same problem with a window! Someone has already removed the existing stays so interesting. Summer coming and being way above human height level, maybe that is why they did it as my new old house is unbelievably warm. Still, I like the idea of a stay when I am fast asleep so will be following this up.

More
11 years 4 months ago #441868 by Hawkspur
Unfortunately, once they are loose, they need replacing. Make sure you replace them with ones for the right weight and size of window.

More
11 years 4 months ago #441907 by trixie
Thanks for info everyone - looks like it is going to be expensive !

More
11 years 4 months ago #441909 by Cinsara
I have the opposite problem, some of mine are so tight (siezed) I can't open the window at all - I've tried CRC with limited success, any other ideas?

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
11 years 4 months ago #441910 by GrantK

Cinsara;441511 wrote: I have the opposite problem, some of mine are so tight (siezed) I can't open the window at all - I've tried CRC with limited success, any other ideas?

Call your local NuLook branch and they may be able to help.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 4 months ago #441978 by Cinsara
Thanks Grant :-)

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds