Coppicing Trees

More
11 years 4 months ago #33170 by 3 girls farming
I've got an area of land that I've decided to put into firewood trees. For many reasons I think coppicing trees would be the way to go and I've been told to use Ecalyptus Nitens (Pardon my terrible spelling)

So I was told 3 metres between trees - does this sound excessive?

let them grow for 5 years and then coppice - so how low do I cut the trunk? Is there any particular way of doing it?

Is there anything else I need to know about this that I haven't thought about.. does anyone do this already for their firewood? once coppiced how large do the limbs grow? (I like the idea of smaller bits of wood to cope with rather than a monster tree which I'd be scared to drop... )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #440961 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Coppicing Trees
Nitens is a good choice in the eucalypt family for coppicing, but remember that eucalypt can be very hard to grow in some areas because of damage from bugs.
Tasmanian blackwoods also coppice
I would be googling for info on distances, it would depend how often you are going to chop them
There is a trial plot for coppicing at a friends farm and they looked to be about 2.5m
My coppicing trees are 2m apart

More
11 years 4 months ago #440962 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Coppicing Trees
The main problem with coppicing trees is their maintenance past the first cut.

Our neighbour has planted various eucalypts for coppicing (there are strains within some species that are suitable while others are not - ask at nursery) 3.5m apart. They grew well and he cut them at about 20cm diameter. However, what grew after that is a jungle of new growth. Each stump sprouted 15 to 30 new shoots and as he didn't cut away the unwanted shoots he now has a mess of wriggly thin shoots, now about 15m tall and intertwined with neighbouring shoots.

He cut the stumps about 20 cm above the soil.

More
11 years 4 months ago #440963 by 3 girls farming
Replied by 3 girls farming on topic Coppicing Trees
aaahh... I did wonder if you needed to thin them down.. I suppose it's like fruit trees - take out half the fruit and get a better crop overall... when the trees only have little thin shoots it wouldn't be a big job to thin them... good information.. will definately think about thinning.

More
11 years 4 months ago #440970 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Coppicing Trees
Leave 3 or 4, but no more, of the sprouts. Rub the rest off as soon as they start growing.
I coppice high because I think that the sprout might split off, so I want to be able to chop this split away. I trust that you know lots about chainsawing.
3 meters seems close to me.

More
11 years 4 months ago #440971 by 3 girls farming
Longridge... what type of tree are you coppicing? are there better options than the one I'm going for?

More
11 years 4 months ago #440973 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Coppicing Trees
Sheoaks also copice well and make good firewood. As an aside from that, hazelnuts are traditionally copiced to improve production.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 4 months ago #440984 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Coppicing Trees
We grew Ecalyptus Nitens, they are a great firewood tree but I couldn't stand the smell of them burning even in a log fire, did have Cedrus deodara, but they do grow rather big and don't coppice, good fire wood but after nearly dropping one on me I never replanted. We have some sweet chestnut, it splits easily and coppices well and you can eat the nuts we are now planting more.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
11 years 4 months ago #440992 by 3 girls farming
I'd never imagined that any wood could smell bad.. what did it smell of??? thats bizzare... Sweet Chestnut sounds like a good idea but I imagine the cost per tree will be a lot higher..

More
11 years 4 months ago #440994 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Coppicing Trees

3 girls farming;440520 wrote: I'd never imagined that any wood could smell bad.. what did it smell of??? thats bizzare.

Have you ever smelt a toon tree when it has been cut? Bletch!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 4 months ago #440995 by 3 girls farming
No.. never managed to get them to grow... ok.. so not nice... aawwwhhhh.. that's a bother... don't want to have a stinky house... will have to go find a toon tree to attack and sniff and decide if I can cope with it or not..

More
11 years 4 months ago #441001 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Coppicing Trees

3 girls farming;440520 wrote: I'd never imagined that any wood could smell bad.. what did it smell of??? thats bizzare... Sweet Chestnut sounds like a good idea but I imagine the cost per tree will be a lot higher..

We've grown many from seed - oh - they self-seeded - and one tree has a better nut than the grafted trees we bought. Some have tiny nuts but others have nuts of a reasonable size. Guess which ones make the best firewood :D

More
11 years 4 months ago #441049 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Coppicing Trees

3 girls farming;440520 wrote: I'd never imagined that any wood could smell bad.. what did it smell of??? thats bizzare...

It was a eucalyptus smell and seemed to escape from the fire, unless it was being drawn in from out side as the smoke was very clawing if that's the right word, I just didn't like burning it.

Sweet chestnut is easy to grow from the nuts.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
11 years 4 months ago #441170 by 3 girls farming
Simkin.. do you have any nuts from your Sweet Chestnut that you don't want??? I'd be happy to pay postage.. sounds like they would be pretty easy to grow.. I have plenty of spaces to fill up with trees

More
11 years 4 months ago #441175 by lisaeve
Replied by lisaeve on topic Coppicing Trees
We've planted loads of eucalypts for coppicing - at 4m spacings. We've got three different types, as they're growing on a slope with a dry top and a wet bottom and everything in between.
Interesting to hear re. sweet chestnuts - might have to find some space to grow some of those, too. Plenty of seed stock around here!

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds