Cloud storage

More
9 years 8 months ago #33164 by oskatd
Cloud storage was created by oskatd
Hi, just wondering who uses? And on which cloud do you choose to store?
Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #440889 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Cloud storage
Nine.

More
9 years 8 months ago #440891 by ZummersetGirl
Replied by ZummersetGirl on topic Cloud storage
Asked hubby and he says "depends what it is you want to store, how much you have, and if you want to pay for it or not". He uses iCloud for his iPad scribbles because he's lazy, but there are others that are at least as effective. He keeps the computer backups on external hard drives at home because he doesn't want to have to be online should a lot of files need to be recovered in one go.

More
9 years 8 months ago #440899 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Cloud storage
Nine is over subscribed by cherubs and Cupid.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 8 months ago #440903 by Ruth
Good point! :D

More
9 years 8 months ago #440905 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Cloud storage

Stikkibeek;440417 wrote: Nine is over subscribed by cherubs and Cupid.

Luckily tho its not oversubscribed.
A lot of westies seem to be there a lot of the time, I suppose you get a bit of that up in the north too Ruth?

More
9 years 8 months ago #440915 by Ruth
Isn't that cloud Cuckoo?

More
9 years 8 months ago #440920 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Cloud storage
Thanks, Zummerset Girl, for a sensible answer about the actual question![}:)][:0][;)] I just wondered about photos really, it's all very well backing it up at home, but if the house burns down you still lose the lot. Not that i am planning on burning down the house :rolleyes:. Anyone else?

More
9 years 8 months ago #440928 by Jondotnet
Replied by Jondotnet on topic Cloud storage
Hi,

One question that will influence what service would be best for you is how much storage space do you need.

If its a GB or 2 then a free service like dropbox, sugarsync, amazon cloud drive, microsoft skydrive or icloud (if your a mac user) might do (you can get extra storage space for free by refering friends on most of these services). Most of these services also offer file syncing accross multiple devices which can be useful.

If you are talking about several GB then your into the realms of paid storage. Most paid storage services charge in advance for the space you think you will need e.g. $50 for 50GB per year or $9 per month etc

If your looking for a dedicated back up solution them something like Mozy or Carbonite might be a good option.

Some other things to think about are:
  • Where abouts are the services located. The more local they are (in a global sense) the faster the access should be. I dont have any experince of NZ based services but a quick google search brings up a couple.
  • Are you comfortable with storing your files with a third party? Most of the dedicated backup services offer a level of encryption to try to alleviate any privacy concerns.
  • If your uploading a lot of files, how much usage allowance do you have on your broadband account? You could eat through it pretty quickly if your uploading a lot of files.

Having an extra backup of files offsite is always a good idea. If you only have a few important files/photos you dont want to loose then you could always burn them onto a DVD or save them to an external hardrive and ask someone to look after it for you. A lot of banks will do this for a fee.

Hope that helps.

J

More
9 years 8 months ago #440948 by Ruth

oskatd;440440 wrote: Thanks, Zummerset Girl, for a sensible answer about the actual question![}:)][:0][;)] ...

Yeah, sorry about that: it was very early in the morning. :D

Ooops, no it wasn't. I claim exhaustion as my alternative excuse.

More
9 years 8 months ago #440950 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Cloud storage
I had no idea what anyone was talking about, and initially though the question might be about rain.... :D

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
9 years 8 months ago #441014 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Cloud storage
good thread, I have always been in a job where backups were someone else's responsibility, now, I need to make my own, at the moment, I am only copying to usb stick and then onto a second laptop. A basic system and I need something better.

More
9 years 8 months ago #441015 by jennym
Replied by jennym on topic Cloud storage
usb sticks are getting big now.
they are little enough to lose though.
they are also cheap.

an alternative to dvd or external hard drive.

i will only bother with the cloud when it gets easier and faster to do than using one of those.

More
9 years 8 months ago #441027 by jimminette
Replied by jimminette on topic Cloud storage
Perhaps Oskatd if you had asked the question a bit more sensibly in the first place you may have got more sensible answers. This is a lifestyle block and probably like the others my mind went straight to physical clouds in the sky even though I work with computers everyday. Can hardly blame posters here if they don't immediately click you are talking about data storage

More
9 years 8 months ago #441029 by Ruth
Oh go on, of course we knew! That sounds a bit like the dumb farmer presumption! [}:)] Some of us think we're funny. :D

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds