Dealing with ACC

More
9 years 9 months ago #33098 by kai
Dealing with ACC was created by kai
To keep the story short, two accidents 2 and 3 years ago, due to many errors in documentation, ACC refused claim, major surgery twice this year to attempt to fix it on the public system.
One part has worked, but one part which was degeneration caused by the delay in the op being done has failed twice.
Consequently I have ongoing foot problems and need to seed a podiatrist and probably have made to measure shoes also.
Although they turned down the claim for surgery (which only related to one of the accidents) are they still liable for treatment to the foot relating to the accident which has a none surgical treatment?
If so how do I go about getting them to pay for it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #440231 by ZummersetGirl
Replied by ZummersetGirl on topic Dealing with ACC
Go to a lawyer who is experienced in ACC - my hubby was turned down for surgery to an injury that they said was "gradual process". What do they expect with somebody over21! We appealed but lost. Since they have had to "save" money ACC is declining claims they would have accepted before - as I work as a practice nurse this is from evidence rather than anecdotal stories.

More
9 years 9 months ago #440237 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Dealing with ACC
I did that when I was appealing against the decision to deny funding of surgery, unfortunately the cost was prohibitive and likely to be so for while yet.

At this point they have not said no over this lot of treatment as I have not asked the question yet. I was just wondering the procedure. The podiatrist mentioned I should have been appointed a claim manager and to talk to them, but I am pretty sure I never had one of those, or if I did, they never made it clear her duties/obligations.
If I did have a claim manager, what should they do?

More
9 years 9 months ago #440261 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Dealing with ACC
Have you got a letter from ACC stating that they have accepted a claim in relation to this injury? If yes you'll have a claim number so DON'T fill out a new claim form.

But unfortunately I know from experience that neither private insurance nor ACC pay much, if anything at all, to podiatrists. That's why there are so few around - only patient-funded work for them.

More
9 years 8 months ago #440308 by ZummersetGirl
Replied by ZummersetGirl on topic Dealing with ACC
If you can't find the letter your GP will have a record of the claim number. You should be able to find out who your claim manager by contacting ACC and quoting the claim number. There is an orthotic service at wellington who will make shoes etc if you are funded by ACC.

More
9 years 8 months ago #440437 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Dealing with ACC
I rang ACC and was told it would be covered and they gave me the number the claim was registered under, but the podiatrist would need too send appropriate documentation, They have not said exactly what they will cover. But it looks promising.
I did see a podiatrist back in chch several times for the same condition and ACC covered each visit with only a small surcharge.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds