Magnesium Supplementation for Humans

More
9 years 9 months ago #32993 by Toast
Anybody taking magnesium for cramps, aching legs, lack of sleep etc? Doctor recommended I buy magnesium supplement across counter from pharmacy. I take Nature's Own Amino Acid Chelated Magnesium. It says 1 capsule twice daily or 3 twice daily for PMS & migraine relief (neither of the latter not a problem for me). I'm taking four twice daily & if I miss two doses over a week I get the aches again. Have had virtually no cramps since I started on the magnesium.

I'm just wondering if this brand isn't easily absorbed or some other problem.

Costs a fortune & I hate feeling like a pill popper.

Anyboody else got experience with this?

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #439122 by Nora
This is a difficult problem to treat. If magnesium works for you then that's great. How did you come to decide on taking so many of them a day? You could ask the pharmacist where you bought them if there are other brands which give more magnesium per dollar. I imagine it's magnesium chloride and absorption of all brands would be the same, but it would be the amount of magnesium chloride in each brand of tablet/capsule that would vary. The pharmacist may have a generic form without all the marketing guff from Nature's Own on the outside of the bottle which could be cheaper.

More
9 years 9 months ago #439125 by wandering free
My wife and I take Micro genics Chelated Magnesium
200 tablets for $22.20 from healthpost.co.nz
The dose is 4 a day but we find 2 a day work, if after some walking we feel the need we can take the other 2 before bed.
I was told magnesium would stop eye spasms but it didn't do any good, it does work for cramp though.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
9 years 9 months ago #439178 by Megan
Cramp? - mum told me to chew a Quickeze - works every time within a minute, contains magnesium carbonate and magnesium trisilicate, obtainable at every supermarket and dairy.

Megan

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
9 years 9 months ago #439185 by Andrea1

wandering free;438454 wrote: My wife and I take Micro genics Chelated Magnesium
200 tablets for $22.20 from healthpost.co.nz
The dose is 4 a day but we find 2 a day work, if after some walking we feel the need we can take the other 2 before bed.
I was told magnesium would stop eye spasms but it didn't do any good, it does work for cramp though.

This is the same stuff we use for leg cramps (and from healthpost as well). Works most of the time. I've been told that Mg Oxide is the most bio-available form of Mg.

More
9 years 9 months ago #439186 by Ruth
If MgO is the best, I'm going to have what the cows are having in a minute! I've got some Mg Aspartate here, upsold by the chemist because of something else I have to take, which apparently depletes my Mg.

More
9 years 9 months ago #439187 by blimeyvicki
My husband swears that a daily dose of magnesium helps with his chronic back problems. No caffeine, alcohol and daily magnesium make a big difference.

More
9 years 9 months ago #439194 by muri
Ive been put on magnesium for insomnia and it makes a huge difference, two capsules per evening of Thompsons magnesium.
She says its the cheapest and the best.
I have found it really good, instead of being an insomniac 4 nights out of 7, its down to 1 out of 7.
And have only been on it for about a month

More
9 years 9 months ago #439197 by Andrea1

muri;438529 wrote: Ive been put on magnesium for insomnia and it makes a huge difference, two capsules per evening of Thompsons magnesium.
She says its the cheapest and the best.
I have found it really good, instead of being an insomniac 4 nights out of 7, its down to 1 out of 7.
And have only been on it for about a month

Let me know how long it works for you. I find that the longer I stay on it, but less it works. I have struggled with insomnia for many years.

More
9 years 9 months ago #439260 by igor
Ruth, what dosage of calcined magnesite do you recommend?

More
9 years 9 months ago #439270 by Ruth

igor;438602 wrote: Ruth, what dosage of calcined magnesite do you recommend?

I don't. I'm not a medical professional! Or do you mean for the cows?

More
9 years 9 months ago #439272 by Blueberry
i've been using BioBalance Marine Coral - contains Calcium and Magnesium - ever since i stopped eating dairy products some years ago. i take 2 capsules a day at breakfast, and my longstanding problem with leg cramps has reuced to being an occasional occurance. a few days a month, i might have the odd one, but ifi just add a couple capsules with dinner for a few days, and i'm fine again.
Last year, my sister has been diagnosed with sever osteoporosis, so i had a bone scan done, and been confirmed a very happy average[8D]

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
9 years 9 months ago #439275 by Ruth

Andrea;438520 wrote: This is the same stuff we use for leg cramps (and from healthpost as well). Works most of the time. I've been told that Mg Oxide is the most bio-available form of Mg.

I went hunting to see what I could find and all sources say that MgO is the least bio-available form, but it is the cheapest Mg source.

More
9 years 9 months ago #439298 by Simkin
I use dolomite powder - a quarter of a teaspoon a day (I mix it in with the bread) and no leg cramps and an excellent result when I had a bone density scan. Costs $19.50 for 250g (Skybright Natural Health) and one bottle lasts 3 months, does the whole family.

Magnesium and Calcium go together - any supplement which only contains one of the two does more harm than good.

More
9 years 9 months ago #439366 by Toast
Hey, thanks everybody. Lots of good responses there. I'll investigate when more time. I like the sound of cheaper supplementation!

Calcium - my doctor said don't take the magnesium supplement with calcium. New research. I didn't ask any more.

Thanks again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Time to create page: 0.303 seconds