Human Medical Emergencies on the LSB

More
11 years 7 months ago #439127 by katieb

Toast;438440 wrote:
Instructions re horse feeds - somebody's ref to Woofers reminded me of this one. They told their Woofers how much sugar beet cubes to feed the horse but omitted to tell them they had to be soaked. Big case of choke!

Oh no... I have all instructions written down after 1 nearly 2 years ago showed the new one what to feed animals... I happened to be in feed room the day after that & see the new girl mixing chicken pellets & parrot seed together... I ask what for... she said for the emu(who gets whole maize & 50/50) so other wwoofer is called into feed room so I can work out why this happened... the answer was well thats what I gave the emu yesterday... I asked why? & was told 'thats what I felt the emu wanted"!!!!!!

I also have water written by any animals that need water containers checking after finding 1 very thirsty parrot one day

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #439130 by Kiwi303

kai;438346 wrote: my balance quite badly and I rely on my eyes more than biofeedback from my feet.

I know what that is like, My meningitis as a toddler affected the nerves between my ears and my brain, the ears work normally, the brain works normally, but like a slip blocking a road, the messages from my ears to my brain just don't get through very well. since the ears are part of your sense of balance, my balance is very poor as well as my hearing being very poor. Unlike hearing aids which can squash all the sounds into those parts of the aural spectrum where the nerves DO work, they haven't made any Balance aids...

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 7 months ago #439131 by Hawkspur
You don't have to pay for an ambulance if you are then admitted to hospital: the government covers the cost in those cases.

More
11 years 7 months ago #439170 by katieb
I just raided my 3 first aid kits for gauze to put under cotton wool & bandages after my old TB didnt want to be left behind.... he caught the top wire which has a join with his hind legs... bute for a few days, ABs for 5-7 days & bandaging for a few weeks... awesome

Will be restocking human & horse first aid kit tomorrow

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 7 months ago #439171 by Hasbeen
I carried an EPERB for years in the car when travelling to the Coast.
Now it is redundant so I guess I should get a PLB for those long solo trips from Nelson to Chch over the Lewis.
Grannies sliding off roads seems to be fashionable.
Never have been a follower of fashion that's why I insisted on the new car being manual after having to drive an auto for 15 years.
Keeps me involved in the driving. :)

Recovering Lifestyler

More
11 years 7 months ago #439258 by igor
A cellphone is all very well if you have coverage. It may come as a surprise to some of you that some people do not.

More
11 years 7 months ago #439311 by Xartep

Hawkspur;438460 wrote: You don't have to pay for an ambulance if you are then admitted to hospital: the government covers the cost in those cases.

I received an invoice a few years back after my daughter was admitted to hospital for overnight observation after she suffered a head injury and concussion.

Having grown up in Wellington it came as a bit of a surprise I thought that the Wairarapa was covered by the Wellington Free Ambulance as it is part of the Wellington Region, but no it is not free here.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
11 years 7 months ago #439314 by Ruth

igor;438600 wrote: A cellphone is all very well if you have coverage. It may come as a surprise to some of you that some people do not.

Hence the PLB investment here (Personal Locator Beacon). I've just spent a week on my own, nobody checking on me, except occasional phone-calls from absent partner - but was I out partying, or lying in a gully when I didn't answer the phone? There are a couple of places around the farm where I get cellphone coverage, but those aren't the places I'm most likely to have some sort of life-threatening accident. PLB works just about anywhere, apparently. I hope I never have to try that out. It cost me less than most people spend on upgrading their cellphone.

More
11 years 7 months ago #439316 by Hawkspur

Xartep;438658 wrote: I received an invoice a few years back after my daughter was admitted to hospital for overnight observation after she suffered a head injury and concussion.

Having grown up in Wellington it came as a bit of a surprise I thought that the Wairarapa was covered by the Wellington Free Ambulance as it is part of the Wellington Region, but no it is not free here.

My apologies: I was wrong. the subsidy is now only ACC related, and does not depend on admission. www.stjohn.org.nz/What-we-do/St-John-Amb...rvices/Part-Charges/

Wellington Free ambulance give a region on their website that covers the south Wairarapa, but perhaps you are north of that region? www.wfa.org.nz/our-region

More
11 years 7 months ago #439360 by Anne

Xartep;438658 wrote: I received an invoice a few years back after my daughter was admitted to hospital for overnight observation after she suffered a head injury and concussion.

That should have been covered by ACC.

More
11 years 7 months ago #439368 by kai

Kiwi303;438459 wrote: they haven't made any Balance aids...

I never imagined anything like it, (no doubt in a few years there will be).
People without the problem don't understand that you can balance in daylight OK, but not at night and showers are not nice without a hand rail as when you close your eyes to stop the shampoo getting in your eyes, your have to lean on a wall to stop falling over!

More
11 years 7 months ago #439390 by wilsontour

Hawkspur;438663 wrote: My apologies: I was wrong. the subsidy is now only ACC related, and does not depend on admission. www.stjohn.org.nz/What-we-do/St-John-Amb...rvices/Part-Charges/

Wellington Free ambulance give a region on their website that covers the south Wairarapa, but perhaps you are north of that region? www.wfa.org.nz/our-region

Wellington Free Ambulance have been operating since March 2012 in the Wairarapa, so their service is free to the patient (as opposed to everywhere else where St John charges for emergency ambulance transport).

More
11 years 6 months ago #439782 by ccrk9

Xartep,it is now free. Wellington Free Ambulance took over the service in the last year.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
11 years 6 months ago #439785 by ccrk9

igor;438600 wrote: A cellphone is all very well if you have coverage. It may come as a surprise to some of you that some people do not.

A cell phone is all very well if you have coverage AND are in a fit state to use it.

When the allergic reaction hit me it was mild and went away so my husband sat me down with my cell phone handy and tv remotes etc. He went out to feed the chickens and the allergic reaction came back really badly. I knew I was in trouble and reached for my cell phone to call 111. The next thing I knew my husband was slapping my face and trying to wake me while he talked to the ambulance call center. He had come back inside to find me unconcious slumped over a table and a bit blue looking. I swear I had tried to use my phone but there was no trace of a call or numbers being dialed on my phone. :-(

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds