Human Medical Emergencies on the LSB

More
11 years 7 months ago #438832 by Ruth
When we went on holiday I left a list of all the cows and when they'd calve, entitled: In case we never come back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #438840 by stephclark

Ruth;438139 wrote: When we went on holiday I left a list of all the cows and when they'd calve, entitled: In case we never come back.

:D :D :D .. i have the blackboard in the barn.. so OH knows what inmates are are on what diet..[;)]

More
11 years 7 months ago #438841 by Ruth
I've taken to telling Stephan where the animals are, just in case. In case of what, I don't know, but it seems sensible. Probably partly in case he says - oh, I've laid phosphorus through that paddock, and I have to go and move the animals before they die horrid, painful deaths.

More
11 years 7 months ago #438882 by Stikkibeek
I think when one is involved with a serious accident, there can be survival drive that takes over. Had a near squeak when I got kicked in the top of the right leg and the left arm by a young horse that I had ridden out from home. I was picking up another of my horses that was grazing out, and a third horse caused my young one to kick, when it rushed at the two I was holding. My young horse shot forward and pulled me in behind itself as it let fly with both barrels. I was something like 12 miles from home on an isolated country road and no cell phone then. I hopped between the horses with one arm over the neck of the young one, and steered them through a big paddock and back to the road where I got it alongside a bank. From there I was able to get on with great care. I thought my leg was probably broken. I rode the horse home, leading the other those 12 miles. I still have the cleft muscle in my leg.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 7 months ago #438900 by katieb

drifter;438124 wrote: Apart from the first aid things, do y'all have written instructions of what animals you have and what they are fed in an obvious place?

Feed room :) ... I take on wwoofers so they need reminding... it even says a scoop is one of the blue ones!

Only things not there is my bird avairies but some containers have seed already mixed with labels

Also you should see my the front of my fridge!.. im feeding 4 lambs, 9 kid goats... various different feed amounts & mixes as some are on cows milk, others milk powder

I always have my cell phone on me & have need it twice in 3.5yrs we have lived here after getting hurt

1. jumped off af ence post & popped knee out(I have a torn ACL) had to be picked up & driven back to house for crutches
2. stupidly tied horse to rail.. horse got a fright as I went to untie, pulled back, rail came off & cracked me in the side of the head... split part of ear, cut behind ear, knocked out, hole in opposite knee due to the force of hitting the ground... luckily my sister was here helping out & she was the last person I phoned so even though I could see straight I could phone her... she had heard a noise while hanging washing & was already halfway to me when I managed to phone & ask for a towel... we were signing in a med centre about 12kms away 15mins after i phoned her

re first aid kits... OH has one in ute, I have one in tack room & lotsa stuff in house which reminds me I must put plasters on the shopping list

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 7 months ago #438911 by ccrk9

Cinsara;438118 wrote: Completely OT but why do you say ex vet nurse? My sister always said she USED TO BE a teacher, a work mate says she WAS a nurse now you say EX vet nurse yet doctors, laywers, vets, mechanics, electricians, plumbers etc are rarely USED TO BE's WAS's or EX's, I wonder why the difference:confused:

Just one of those quirly things that hops into my head each time I see something like this referred to :D :D :D

Good point. I dont work in the profession any more but my knowledge and training havent gone anywhere. Maybe I should say retired.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
11 years 7 months ago #438912 by ccrk9
I never worry about an accident outside as my husband is usually here and being on a small block of 2.5 acres someone on the properties on either side would see me if I collapsed outside.

I do have two rules for my husband for the odd occasion Im away in town for a few days - no climbing ladders up trees to trim them or going on the roof, and no chainsawing. If he wants firewood or whatever he must cut it before I go away.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
11 years 7 months ago #438917 by igor
One of our farmer neighbours lived alone for a long time. If he had had an accident on the farm he could have been dead for a week or more before anyone noticed him missing.

More
11 years 7 months ago #438922 by Stikkibeek

igor;438230 wrote: One of our farmer neighbours lived alone for a long time. If he had had an accident on the farm he could have been dead for a week or more before anyone noticed him missing.

And sadly that can and does happen, but more in the suburbs I think. So where do you draw the line? Go see your neighbour who lives on his own every day? every second day? ring him every day? You might run the risk of being branded a busy-body.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 7 months ago #438924 by kalnetta
Three years ago my wife had a heart attack about 10 p.m.
As the ambulance is about an hour away the doctors were notified and also the first response unit . They were here in about 15 mins the transporting ambulance about an hour later.
Now they send the doctor and the first response and if transport is needed the rescue chopper.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
11 years 7 months ago #438925 by Ruth
Our neighbour is always pleased when we check on her - lives alone with a garden in the middle of nowhere and we're the only people who would (and do) notice if her movements in and out of the property are unusual, or cease. She thinks she could lie on the floor for days before anyone noticed.

More
11 years 7 months ago #438928 by Seaside
We are relatively well-covered.

I've done a first aid course and my husband was a medic in his army days. The kids all know how to phone the emergency services. Plus as we are 20km from ChCh CBD as the crow flies, the Westpac helicopter wouldn't take long (I make sure I donate each year)!

We have a variety of bandages, at least two first aid kits and lots of pain killers - both paracetamol and ibuprofen - and a big bottle of anti-histamine (Zyrtec). My oldest boy reacts to grass pollen (he swells up if he runs through the long grass in spring), so I make sure we never run out of anti-histamine.

My main worry is that often lone-work and it would probably take quite a while for one of us to twig that the other one was injured. For example, if I was to climb the hay stack now looking for a hen's nest, fall off and knock myself out, it wouldn't be until the kids weren't picked up from school (about six hours) that anyone would realise.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
11 years 7 months ago #439022 by llvonn
I'm in Ashhurst, which is a rural village and not that far from town (15 minutes on good road) but when I needed an ambulance and rang 111 they sent the local volunteer fire brigade first who then called the ambulance. They are equipped for emergency first aid and arrive within minutes. Have on occasion seen them outside the RSA with the oxygen.
BTW - When the ambulance is called out, if it is a medical emergency you will have to pay a call out fee (as opposed to an accident which ACC will cover). However if you are a member of St Johns, you don't have to pay the fee.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
11 years 7 months ago #439025 by kai

Andrea;438123 wrote:

Why is it you're so clumsy, kai? I don't have an answer for myself. I can trip on a grain of sand. [xx(] I am a walking bruise most days.

HMS - hyper mobility syndrome. (double jointed and bruise exceptionally easily). In particular my ankles, and now that my left foot is permanently knackered it has effected my balance quite badly and I rely on my eyes more than biofeedback from my feet.
As a kid I would often fall down the stairs because my ankle gave way at the wrong moment.

More
11 years 7 months ago #439114 by Toast
OMG, some great stories there, especially Stikkibeek riding 12 miles like that!

PLB - what's that?

Instructions re horse feeds - somebody's ref to Woofers reminded me of this one. They told their Woofers how much sugar beet cubes to feed the horse but omitted to tell them they had to be soaked. Big case of choke!

We're at risk in the back blocks (or wrong side of the city). I think all you can do is reduce the risk. Keep the phone charged, always take it with you, have all the emergency stuff accessible etc, petrol in the car. I do try but not always up to date.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds