Bearded dragon

More
11 years 10 months ago #32915 by spoook
Bearded dragon was created by spoook
Anyone keeping a bearded dragon?
Easy?
Hard?
Would you do it again?

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #438148 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Bearded dragon
Got a bearded goat and a few bearded Irises; maybe later some snap dragons, but no, no experience with bearded dragons. [}:)]

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 10 months ago #438157 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Bearded dragon
very good stikki, and do you have dragon trees too
spook go and ask in a pet shop whats entailed in keeping them, that should give you a fair idea of whether you want to go down that track.
I know at the bird barn there is an aquarium with them and they are all owned by the different people who work there, so they may be more helpful than most other places

More
11 years 10 months ago #438165 by FarmerEms
Replied by FarmerEms on topic Bearded dragon
I was watching a program on what animals to let your kids look after if they show interest in wanting a pet as these are quite easy care. Maybe a spot clean to get rid of faeces, food, muck daily and a tank clean once a week.

www.exoticvet.co.nz/wawcs0158841/Caring-...Your-Exotic-Pet.html

That is a link to a website, just click on bearded dragon and it'll give you some info :)

From what I have read they;re pretty easy to look after and amazing to watch!

Growing the LSB one kid/lamb/calf/piglet at a time.. [8D]

More
11 years 10 months ago #438179 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Bearded dragon
yes, when he forgets to shave :)

More
11 years 10 months ago #438181 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Bearded dragon
lol to the above posts,......

I have a couple of blue tounges... really easy care both males we think though so live seperatly as the bite each other

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 10 months ago #438186 by BlueSkyBee
Replied by BlueSkyBee on topic Bearded dragon
we had plenty of wild ones running around our place in Brisbane, they were pretty low maintenance :) You just had to make sure you didn't mow them, as they can be pretty stubborn if you annoy them, and they puff themselves up rather alarmingly!

They probably would make pretty cool pets, we used to be able to touch ours.

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

More
11 years 10 months ago #438194 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Bearded dragon
I recall going into a pet shop just as a woman was leaving with her bearded dragon on her arm. Turns out she was there to buy new born baby rats (or mice, can't remember) to feed to him/her Yuck! Another site I read said he gave his baby birds out of the nest.

Just asking - where is this coming from Spook? Obviously people are passionate about them but from my reading but they sound like plenty of work to me.

More
11 years 10 months ago #438196 by jimminette
Replied by jimminette on topic Bearded dragon

Stikkibeek;437399 wrote: Got a bearded goat and a few bearded Irises; maybe later some snap dragons, but no, no experience with bearded dragons. [}:)]

Bearded Irises - LOVE them. That's my dream to grown them.

More
11 years 10 months ago #438210 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Bearded dragon

jimminette;437452 wrote: Bearded Irises - LOVE them. That's my dream to grown them.

As opposed to "Sage Brush Sadie the famous bearded lady, Her whiskers brought her riches and renown" :D

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 10 months ago #438216 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Bearded dragon
Didi, I have the chance to get one at, what I believe to be, a reasonable price. Includes tank and food supply.
I just have to work out of we really have the room in the lounge for the HUGE tank.
The seem to do nothing other than bask under a lamp all day but are so cuddly.

There is another point, with my frugalness re power, the heat has to be on nearly all the time. Mmmmm???? Thinks.....................

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
11 years 10 months ago #438221 by katieb

jimminette;437452 wrote: Bearded Irises - LOVE them. That's my dream to grown them.

I love them... bought a couple of different colours off TM this year :)

I have tons of purple ones they seem to grow better than my white & the other 2 I already had

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 10 months ago #438223 by katieb

spoook;437472 wrote: Didi, I have the chance to get one at, what I believe to be, a reasonable price. Includes tank and food supply.
I just have to work out of we really have the room in the lounge for the HUGE tank.
The seem to do nothing other than bask under a lamp all day but are so cuddly.

There is another point, with my frugalness re power, the heat has to be on nearly all the time. Mmmmm???? Thinks.....................

Outdoor enclosure for nice days???? that will save a little power

More
11 years 10 months ago #438299 by jimminette
Replied by jimminette on topic Bearded dragon
Have you not got enough cuddly things already??????

More
11 years 10 months ago #438315 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Bearded dragon
I am glad you are thinking of the power issue as I inherited my daughter's tropical fish (now cold water and doing fine - guppies) and I know I was always aware of how much it was costing to be running the heat pump. I am embarrassed to admit that as they were not my choice of "pet", I somehow got away with just turning off the heat pump and I am on a continuing basis (12 months now) overwhelmed with cold water bred guppies. Even my sucker fish is fine and growing in a cold water enviroment! Running a heat lamp 24/7 would not even be on my agenda (cost) but whereas I smoke and drink wine with gusto - it probably costs more than the cost of the heat pump so everything is relevant to your needs and wants. "but are so cuddly" - they certainly don't look like they are! Mind, bar the lady at the Pet Shop, I have never seen another one so no idea.

There are some very good forums here in NZ so perhaps they can tell you what it may cost to maintain them. Read a suggestion that you need your own locust breeding programme before buying for cost reasons. Say what?

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds