Ink Cartridges

More
9 years 9 months ago #32874 by Simkin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #437614 by Chris-HB
Replied by Chris-HB on topic Ink Cartridges
My main computer guy once said "Non OEM ink cartridges just aren't worth the hassle" .
The big issue is that if you clog the jets with crappy ink, the printer is essentially a write-off. Warranties are void by using third party consumables- apparently the big brands are able to test ink residue in the machine to test for this.

My -old- Canon has only had originals through it and it's 100% perfect still and has never ever clogged a jet . Must be at least 5 years old, possibly even seven

Chris-HB

More
9 years 9 months ago #437628 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Ink Cartridges
During the 8 years that we had our just updated Epson printer the only time we had any problems was the one time we tried using compatible ink.

The last two sentences of that listing also sound a warning IMO :(

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
9 years 9 months ago #437631 by Scuba_Steve
Replied by Scuba_Steve on topic Ink Cartridges
Chris-HB is right 7/10 times after market inks ain't worth the hassle, they're quite often inferior inks that end up clogging the heads or producing sub-par results and quite often you'll find the after market inks will only last 2/3-1/2 the distance of the original inks too. While there are a few after market inks that'll work it can be a hit n miss gamble trying to find them.
Correction about the warranties tho, your warranty isn't void by using after market but the manufacturer will not repair anything potentially damaged by after market inks i.e. the heads (unless of-course this was a fault proved to be no association with inks). Technically under NZ law the after market cartridge manufacturer would/should have to cover the malfunction caused by their product, but that argument can more often than not be more hassle than it's worth

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

More
9 years 9 months ago #437714 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Ink Cartridges
I think if you are doing quality prints that are guaranteed to last then the cost of branded ink can be justified, probably cheap ink does shorten the life of the printers but for my use I'm happy with the compatible ink and take a chance on it stuffing up the print heads, I just got a complete set of compatible ink from inkvenus for less than 1 branded, it would have cost me as much to buy 6 Epson cartridges as the original cost of the printer, it seems they sell the printers cheap, then rip us of for ink.

I bought my first computer and printer in 1997 and this is my 3rd printer and I always buy the cheap stuff. I have my fingers and toes crossed that it will last a bit longer.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
9 years 9 months ago #437717 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Ink Cartridges
My sister bought a set of non-genuine ink cartridges for her Epson printer and it ruined the internal electronics of the printer somehow. Thinking it was only the cartridges to blame, she bought a brand-new set of genuine Epson cartridges and it ruined those too. I have an Epson printer that uses exactly the same cartridges and none of her genuine cartridges work at all in my printer. So it was a very expensive lesson for her.

I would never use non-genuine cartridges in any printer. Some people have had good success with the continuous ink flow bottles which hook into a set of dummy cartridges. However, if printing cost was a serious issue, I would buy a colour Laser printer as their running costs are much lower once you have paid the initial $400 - $600 cost.

More
9 years 9 months ago #437719 by GrantK

Chris-HB;436810 wrote: My main computer guy once said "Non OEM ink cartridges just aren't worth the hassle" .
My -old- Canon has only had originals through it and it's 100% perfect still and has never ever clogged a jet . Must be at least 5 years old, possibly even seven

Agreed 100%. My Epson is 4+ years old and I've only ever used genuine ink cartridges. It has never clogged a jet in that time whereas my Brother was constantly doing it, even with exclusively genuine cartridges being used.

More
9 years 9 months ago #437735 by Organix

GrantK;436921 wrote: ....... However, if printing cost was a serious issue, I would buy a colour Laser printer as their running costs are much lower once you have paid the initial $400 - $600 cost.

We've just upgraded to an Epson Workforce Pro printer which they claim has the ink economy of a laser. $469 including a replacement warranty so up with the price of a laser but top reviews so we took the plunge. Wifi so I'm not continually taking the lappy to the office to print and it prints at least up to 300gsm light card so our local print service sees a lot less of us. Brilliant machine :D

Regarding cheap ink try watching TM for that offered by sellers whose printer has died. Prior to getting rid of our previous (Epson Stylus) we picked up most of our (genuine) cartridges for $5-$7 each (instead of $20-$25 retail).

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
9 years 9 months ago #437760 by GrantK

Organix;436940 wrote: We've just upgraded to an Epson Workforce Pro printer which they claim has the ink economy of a laser. $469 including a replacement warranty so up with the price of a laser but top reviews so we took the plunge. Wifi so I'm not continually taking the lappy to the office to print and it prints at least up to 300gsm light card so our local print service sees a lot less of us. Brilliant machine :D

Sounds like a brilliant piece of kit. If it lives up to these claims it will be amazing:

Ink Yield Information:

• Epson provides ink cartridge yields based on the ISO / IEC 24711 and 24712 standard for inkjet products, which excludes the first installed cartridges.
  • 676XL Black (T676XL120): About 2400 pages
  • 676XL Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow (T676XL220, T676XL320, T676XL420): About 1200 pages per color

It will be interesting to hear what you get in practice!

More
9 years 9 months ago #437762 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Ink Cartridges
Well, thanks, I guess I won't buy the generic product then. We don't use much of the coloured stuff - maybe 1 set every 6 months so not worth getting a laser printer.

More
9 years 9 months ago #437768 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Ink Cartridges
I hate that you can buy a quality printer for $90 and then spend a king's ransom on cartridges for ever!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 9 months ago #437769 by Organix

GrantK;436967 wrote: Sounds like a brilliant piece of kit. If it lives up to these claims it will be amazing:

It will be interesting to hear what you get in practice!

Admittedly the cartridges are much larger than the ones for our CX3500 but the prices I've seen makes them good buying if the life expectancy is as claimed.

More
7 years 3 months ago #503723 by MARYLISE
Replied by MARYLISE on topic Ink Cartridges
Have Epson printer and using GOINK cartridges and not happy at all only troubles and they do nothing to compensate! They either do not work or don't last...
And I have not chosen the cheapest company. They knew how to sell themselves, though!
In past had trouble with other company too. Going back to original cartridges.

More
7 years 2 months ago #504908 by Darmah_sd
Replied by Darmah_sd on topic Ink Cartridges
Well I'm going to put a spanner in the works. I've used refillable cartridges in my epson and never had a problem. I only do basic home printing. Maybe I've been lucky. I dont know. :)

More
7 years 2 months ago #504926 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Ink Cartridges

wandering free;436918 wrote: I think if you are doing quality prints that are guaranteed to last then the cost of branded ink can be justified, probably cheap ink does shorten the life of the printers but for my use I'm happy with the compatible ink and take a chance on it stuffing up the print heads, I just got a complete set of compatible ink from inkvenus for less than 1 branded, it would have cost me as much to buy 6 Epson cartridges as the original cost of the printer, it seems they sell the printers cheap, then rip us of for ink.

I bought my first computer and printer in 1997 and this is my 3rd printer and I always buy the cheap stuff. I have my fingers and toes crossed that it will last a bit longer.

My printer failed a few months after I posted this last message, but it had nothing to do with the cartridges I use, now I am on my fourth printer in 18 years and am still using the same cheap cartridges I always use and have done on this one for the last 3 years, but I don't use it for quality photographs, that's expecting to much for the price.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds