Colony Collapse?

More
9 years 9 months ago #32869 by Organix
Colony Collapse? was created by Organix
This interview from Radio NZ is worrying news :(

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #437551 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Colony Collapse?
What do you think of the theory to do with cell phone coverage as a cause?
I am sure it must be more complicated than any single cause.
My hives are so far happy and we are outside of the cell phone coverage area so in theory they should be immune from the issue
But very scary
So much of our food system and food chains will collapse without bees

More
9 years 9 months ago #437554 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Colony Collapse?

muri;436742 wrote: What do you think of the theory to do with cell phone coverage as a cause?
I am sure it must be more complicated than any single cause.
My hives are so far happy and we are outside of the cell phone coverage area so in theory they should be immune from the issue
But very scary
So much of our food system and food chains will collapse without bees

After watching Queen of the Sun and Vanishing of the Bees I am of the opinion it is a combination of factors. Bees weakened by overwork (especially on monocultural crops), plundering of their honey which is replaced by sugar (or HFCS in the US), toxins in the environment including neonicotinoids which are neurotoxins and perhaps electromagnetic pollution including from cellphones.

And yes, without bees we potentially lose most of our horticultural based foods apart from grains, and pastural farming is reliant on clover for N fixation (especially once oil prices make nitrogen fertilisers prohibitively expensive).

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
9 years 9 months ago #437555 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic Colony Collapse?
I think it's more complicated than cell phone towers Muri - the use of industrial pesticides, having so many of our seeds soaked in the pesticides, and of course the strength of the varoa mite are all bad indicators for NZ.

Honestlly, if we moved away from the GM and GE crops, and marketed ourselves as 'clean and green' the prices we could demand from overseas buyers who are sick to death of the toxins that Monsanto and others insist on putting in our foods would be astronomical.
People want to buy food that they can trust, and a healthy environment which encouraged bees and other beneficial insects in is a damn good start.

More
9 years 9 months ago #437578 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Colony Collapse?
I have experience of bees being effected by power lines, but in this case the hives were right under the wires, I would think they would have to be fairly close to cell phone towers to have much effect.

We need to give nature a hand, I can't see why insects wouldn't benefit from a varied diet, I'm going to give insect friendly plants a try, (flower meadows) it's being done in other countries to cut down on mowing and to help the honey bees, we will see how it goes, if successful I will extend it to the whole place. Might upset the neighbors with what might be considered weeds by some.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
9 years 9 months ago #437648 by Furball
Replied by Furball on topic Colony Collapse?
There seems to be strong evidence that CCD may be linked to neonicotinoid pesticides, which disorient the bees, rendering them unable to return to the hive.

www.sciencemag.org/content/336/6079/348....e7-9a96-84a5e6649fea

Many European countries have banned the use of these pesticides, and seem to be experiencing bee stock recovery. It would seem to be a no-brainer to ban them worldwide, but they are sold and backed by a powerful company, so...

More
9 years 9 months ago #437667 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Colony Collapse?

wandering free;436770 wrote: I have experience of bees being effected by power lines, but in this case the hives were right under the wires, I would think they would have to be fairly close to cell phone towers to have much effect.

That is exactly right! Radiated power diminishes according to an inverse square-law so if you are twice as far away, it is 1/4 the power, 10 times as far away, it drops to 1/100th and so on. To feel any effect from the radiated signal, a living creature would need to be within a very few metres of the antennae, which is the reason why they are up on towers many metres above the ground. Most of the power is also focussed in an outwards direction, rather than down or up.

What will they blame on cellphone towers next? Infertility? Breast Cancer? Prostate Cancer?

The list could go on and on while the purveyors of this kind of FUD are given free rein. Cellphone radiation is very similar to UHF TV transmissions, which we have had for more than 20 years with no complaints. People need to get their facts straight before they start spreading FUD like this.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
9 years 9 months ago #437701 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Colony Collapse?

wandering free;436770 wrote: I
We need to give nature a hand, I can't see why insects wouldn't benefit from a varied diet, I'm going to give insect friendly plants a try, (flower meadows) it's being done in other countries to cut down on mowing and to help the honey bees, we will see how it goes, if successful I will extend it to the whole place. Might upset the neighbors with what might be considered weeds by some.

exactly my thoughts - 1/3 of my seedling punnets this year are full of bee-fodder plants to be distributed all over our property. They help us - so lets help them help us:cool:

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
9 years 9 months ago #437925 by KiplingAngel
I'm busy planting a bank out with spreading rosemary, we have borrage, and a few more bee friendly plants. No chemical sprays here either, but even with all of this, we often only will find one or two bees on the fruit flowers - and considering I have over 140 trees, that's kinda dissapointing. I do however have my "handy Dandy" paintbrush - so I go around being a 'bee' with it, and pollinating the flowers whenever I can. Sustainable at the moment - but once they get bigger, won't be...

More
9 years 9 months ago #437934 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Colony Collapse?
That's the way KA. My grandfather used to do the paintbrush thing on his peach trees but he only had a few near the house not a whole big orchard.

More
9 years 9 months ago #437941 by KiplingAngel
lol- I wish I could call it an orchard - but it'll do for now...

Was talking with Hubby last night about the whole spray thing and lack of bees and Gm and Ge and stuff like that... we both agreed that if NZ decided to go organic, the demand for our produce would skyrocket, and "Grown in NZ" would become a catchphrase for good quality, non GM content. We would have plenty of bees, plenty of produce, and plenty of $$...

More
9 years 9 months ago #437943 by igor
Never going to happen KA. Not a snowball in hell's chance. That sort of thing is only possible in a totalitarian dictatorship and many New Zealanders, or their ancestors, came here to escape from those.

More
9 years 9 months ago #437946 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Colony Collapse?

igor;437175 wrote: Never going to happen KA. Not a snowball in hell's chance. That sort of thing is only possible in a totalitarian dictatorship and many New Zealanders, or their ancestors, came here to escape from those.

Sooner be dictated to by Monsanto and its ilk? :rolleyes:

More
9 years 9 months ago #437992 by igor
No Organix. Merely pointing out the vast gulf between banning the importation and cultivation of GE/GM seeds/crops and the whole country going completely organic. I am wholeheartedly in favour of banning GE/GM with all it's associated risks, or should I say guarantees, of world wide ecological disaster.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds