Computer/tech questions

More
11 years 5 months ago #32798 by oskatd
I have a couple of questions for the techies out there. I am about to buy a new computer, have decided to get something decent spec - have my eye on a dell that has 8Gb RAM, 1TB HD, good graphics, and the bonus is that they are finally upgrading our cabinets, so should have access to ADSL by the end of the month. Questions: If the laptop has an HDMI port (assuming it will), and I sign up for Amazon prime or similar - will i be able to stream through the laptop to watch the free movies on the TV via the HDMI? Other question - given our house is quite large, and the wireless router is in the computer room (currently have a desktop), i have an ADSL modem, can I attach that directly to a port in computer room to attach laptop directly when in that room, and also run a wireless modem in the living room, for the notebook, smart phone and kindle? Is it possible to run two modems on one phone line? Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of an idiots guide to resetting the password on a dlink wireless router, that would be great - no matter how hard i try, the password i have written down just doesn't seem to be accepted by the router (is a computer conspiracy, no doubt). Many thanks, apologies for the silly questions....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #436783 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Computer/tech questions

oskatd;435896 wrote: If the laptop has an HDMI port (assuming it will), and I sign up for Amazon prime or similar - will i be able to stream through the laptop to watch the free movies on the TV via the HDMI?

If you are talking about streaming video from Amazon Prime: This is not available outside the US.

However, if you are talking about physical DVDs or Blu-ray Discs then no problem, you can stream to your TV via the HDMI port.

Presumably, being a new laptop, it should output audio via the HDMI along with video, but some older HDMI video chipsets didn't support audio.

oskatd;435896 wrote: Other question - given our house is quite large, and the wireless router is in the computer room (currently have a desktop), i have an ADSL modem, can I attach that directly to a port in computer room to attach laptop directly when in that room, and also run a wireless modem in the living room, for the notebook, smart phone and kindle?

Woah ... too many questions in one sentence there, and not really very clear what you are asking! It sounds as though you may need two WiFi access points to cover the entire house, and these will need to be connected together somehow. Cable is the easiest, but it is possible to daisy-chain two WiFi Access Points if you know what you are doing. Probably simpler to run cable though.

Your existing D-Link Wireless Router can be used to provide one of the Access Points, but you will probably need to buy a second. Does your ADSL modem also have a wireless router function, or is it just a modem? Or is the D-Link Wireless Router you refer to below, one and the same as your ADSL modem? It's all a bit confusing!

oskatd;435896 wrote: Is it possible to run two modems on one phone line?

The short answer is no. Use two WiFi access points as above.

oskatd;435896 wrote: Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of an idiots guide to resetting the password on a dlink wireless router, that would be great - no matter how hard i try, the password i have written down just doesn't seem to be accepted by the router (is a computer conspiracy, no doubt). Many thanks, apologies for the silly questions....

There should be a small reset button somewhere, probably accessed through a small hole in the case by means of a paperclip or ballpoint pen. Press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds or longer, and it will reset everything to factory defaults. You may need to search online for a manual for your specific router, if you can't figure out what to do next.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 5 months ago #436789 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Computer/tech questions
the modem is separate from the router, i wanted to use the modem at the computer, and wireless modem elsewhere in the house (have yet to buy).

Hmm, shame about amazon prime, doesn't say that when they ask you to sign up for a free month! i wanted it to borrow kindle books more than anything else.

More
11 years 5 months ago #436800 by Scuba_Steve
Replied by Scuba_Steve on topic Computer/tech questions

GrantK;435899 wrote:
There should be a small reset button somewhere, probably accessed through a small hole in the case by means of a paperclip or ballpoint pen. Press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds or longer, and it will reset everything to factory defaults. You may need to search online for a manual for your specific router, if you can't figure out what to do next.

once reset (providing you have the commonly owned one) it's 10.1.1.1 in the browser to connect
username: admin
password: admin

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

More
11 years 5 months ago #436842 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Computer/tech questions

oskatd;435905 wrote: the modem is separate from the router, i wanted to use the modem at the computer, and wireless modem elsewhere in the house (have yet to buy).

OK, so assuming that the modem is just a modem and not a Router with more than one network port, you could either:

1) Buy a second Wireless Router to connect into your modem, and your PC, and the D-Link Wireless Router that you have now.

2) Or just buy a network hub.

I would recommend Option (1) though because it will give you extra wireless coverage in the rooms near to where the modem is located. Option (2) would also only work if your modem actually has some router functions, in addition to its single network port.

It would be helpful if you mentioned what type of modem you have! Make and Model Number would be good.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 5 months ago #436989 by prabu007
Replied by prabu007 on topic Computer/tech questions
Hi,
Sorry for posting here what is the advanced configuration for building a computer

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds