Music Copyright Law?

• Andrea
9 years 10 months ago #32639 by Andrea
Music Copyright Law? was created by Andrea
DD has an assignment for her film and TV class at high school. She's planning on using music from some of her CDs (various musicians/music)... school says this is ok since it's not for public consumption, but it this correct? Can she use the music and it not be a copyright infringement?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #435432 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Music Copyright Law?
If the use she makes of the music is only within the class, and it won't be used as part of a performance, eg a school production, or recorded for playing in a public setting or for sale, then it should be fine. See APRA (APRA licence the use of music on behalf of the copyright holders) information here:
www.apra-amcos.co.nz/music-consumers/mus...usic-in-schools.aspx

More
9 years 10 months ago #435434 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Music Copyright Law?
Great, thanks for that! DD was a little paranoid about using the music she wanted on her film!

More
9 years 10 months ago #435464 by lars arsbjorn
Replied by lars arsbjorn on topic Music Copyright Law?
Apologetic render insecure answer as we have no new zeeland law understanding sorry

ha det bra, adjø
Lars

( i am from the Scandinavian my translation poorest in english)

More
9 years 10 months ago #435465 by Andrea1
That's ok, Lars! I haven't a clue about Norwegian law either. :)

More
9 years 10 months ago #436580 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Music Copyright Law?
I don't take the chance of infringing copy write and use Jamendo for any music I use in my video's using the Creative Commons CC-BY license, this way you only have to give the name of artists and his composition in the end credits,
ie.

It's a pity you're not closer I have 6 CDs of Royalty Free music you could use.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
9 years 10 months ago #436590 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Music Copyright Law?

wandering free;435667 wrote: It's a pity you're not closer I have 6 CDs of Royalty Free music you could use.

Why not rip them onto your Hard Drive and then copy to an 8GB USB stick? It will hold all 6 CDs worth of music no problem, and you can buy an 8GB USB stick for $10 at The Warehouse.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
9 years 10 months ago #436591 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Music Copyright Law?

GrantK;435677 wrote: Why not rip them onto your Hard Drive and then copy to an 8GB USB stick? It will hold all 6 CDs worth of music no problem, and you can buy an 8GB USB stick for $10 at The Warehouse.

Or use Dropbox ?

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
9 years 10 months ago #436626 by wandering free

GrantK;435677 wrote: Why not rip them onto your Hard Drive and then copy to an 8GB USB stick? It will hold all 6 CDs worth of music no problem, and you can buy an 8GB USB stick for $10 at The Warehouse.

Hi Grant, I will check what's on the discs and see how full they are maybe just put them on a DVD or rip them to mp3, I haven't even played them they were given me by a friend who's a professional camera man and video editor and just retired.

It's another lousy day raining cats and dogs so will give me something to do.

Hi Organix, I have got dropbox so that's another good option.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,

More
9 years 10 months ago #436652 by Andrea1
According to the link provided by Hawkspur, schools can purchase a special license via APRA/AMCOS, with the understanding that what is used is not allowed for any kind of sharing or broadcast, just the assessment on the assignment. DD and I read through it together, so she feels better about what she wants to use, as her school does indeed have the license.

However, this film and TV class has opened her eyes to a whole new world, and she's really getting into it, and putting in lots of extra time, much to the delight of her instructor (who's also her history teacher, and she and her study partner are doing a doco on transportation in the 1920s for their project, because they're also both into old cars, history and making short films). SO, to keep it short, I's sure she'd quite appreciate the use of the CDs, and we're happy to pay for them and their P&P.

More
9 years 10 months ago #436765 by wandering free

Andrea;435752 wrote: SO, to keep it short, I's sure she'd quite appreciate the use of the CDs, and we're happy to pay for them and their P&P.

Andrea, They are all now compressed onto 1 CD so it will be easy for me to post as a letter, and the cost of a blank CD doesn't amount to anything, I'm glad to be using them up. so no worries about cost, you might not find the music and sound clips of any use to you, but if you did want the originals you are welcome to them.

Bryan

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds