Convert PDF file to something I can write in?

More
11 years 7 months ago #435451 by Stikkibeek
Thanks Grant. That worked......kinda wished it didn't. The quote is a bit of a shocker! [:0]
I used Google Docs, since I have that option already.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #435459 by GrantK

Stikkibeek;434210 wrote: Thanks Grant. That worked......kinda wished it didn't. The quote is a bit of a shocker! [:0]

Oh dear :eek:

Stikkibeek;434210 wrote: I used Google Docs, since I have that option already.

Google Docs is so handy for little jobs like that. My desktop PC is still running Windows XP so I have the same problem with DOCX and XLSX files. Google Docs has provided a workaround in the meantime, but I'm planning to upgrade it to Office 2010 before too much longer.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 7 months ago #435462 by Stikkibeek
Yes, I too have XP. with word 2003, and I am so used to it, I like to hang on to it. Does everything I want......except convert Docx files it seems!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 7 months ago #435470 by GrantK

Stikkibeek;434223 wrote: Yes, I too have XP. with word 2003, and I am so used to it, I like to hang on to it. Does everything I want......except convert Docx files it seems!

I tried OpenOffice to see how that went, and found that all my Excel macros didn't work, so it would have meant learning a completely different macro language. Also, the placement of functions on the menus was quite different from what I was used to. So when I bought my laptop, I installed Office 2007 on it, and have gotten used to the "ribbon" and quite like it actually. Office 2010 is almost identical apparently, so I think it makes sense to go that way. A 3-user "Home & Student" version isn't that expensive, and it will take care of all the PCs in our household.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 7 months ago #435471 by kiwi_jon

Stikkibeek;434223 wrote: Yes, I too have XP. with word 2003, and I am so used to it, I like to hang on to it. Does everything I want......except convert Docx files it seems!

Stikkibeek,

Download the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel and Powerpoint. It will enable Office 2003 to work with Office 2007, 2010 file formats i.e docx, xlsx and pptx.

www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3

More
11 years 7 months ago #435474 by Jondotnet

lisaeve;434181 wrote: Well, Nitro hasn't worked as the pdf doc is passworded & has all types of protection on it.
and...
the tracker software won't do anything either.

If they have password protected the PDF (the Acorbat software has some very good security built into it) then the creator is either very determined that you fill it in by hand or doesnt understand what they have done. You will normally only secure a PDF document if you want to ensure that no one can change it.

If there is anyway of going back to them I would ask them to use acrobat properley and recreate the document as a PDF form so you can just fill in the boxes or take the security off.

One other option you have, which is a bit convoluted, is install cutepdf writer. Open the document in acrobat reader, hit print and you will have a "cutepdf writer" printer option. Print to that and you will be asked where you want to save the file. You might then be able to edit the new PDF.

Jon

More
11 years 7 months ago #435491 by lisaeve
Jon: I did ask if I could get a version that wasn't so heavily protected or was a proper form, and they said that was the only version they had (it's an insurance-related form so has obviously been provided to them by some other company and they aren't able to edit it either).

so the only way is to fill it in by hand and physically take it to them as I don't have a scanner.

Crazy stuff. Apparently this is just how they always do it. I love it when people say that.

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

More
11 years 7 months ago #435494 by xevbellringer
If you just want to fill in a form, using paint is an easy way to do it.
Just open the pdf and click in page you want to copy.

Edit/copy file to clip board
Open paint
click in empty page
Ctrl V (to paste)
Save as jpeg
Use a text box on spaces you have to fill in (click on the icon with the large "A" on it, then click & drag into the space -dashed outline box will form & then write whatever you want)
Save & send

This way will only copy one page at a time & will only copy over the page you are on in abobe. Might be a bit laborious if there is more than a couple of pages :)

More
11 years 7 months ago #435510 by lisaeve
formatting doesn't work doing it that way.

anyway, I just came back to say I'm a bit POed that Nitro, despite me very deliberately saying I didn't want that, has set itself up as the default program for all pdf files i download. It's now uninstalled. I hate sneaky software like that.

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

More
11 years 7 months ago #435534 by xevbellringer
Works for me - every time. You must be doing it wrong...

More
11 years 7 months ago #435661 by kai
another alternative is to insert the pdf document into the header of a word document, this will send it to the background, then go to the main body of the document and type over it.

More
11 years 7 months ago #435673 by lisaeve
What 'insert' option do you use to get the pdf to show in the header? I just tried and got a blank box. I'm using office 2003.

More
11 years 7 months ago #435707 by kai
I hope I remember word 2003 correctly (up to version 2010 on this computer), but you go into the header, you may need to do insert -> header first or a command similar, or you might be able to just double click the header in page layout view.
Then you do insert object, and select create from file, and find the pdf.

If you can't put it into the header you can definitely do insert object then set the objects properties so that it is behind the text.

Alternatively you can email me the pdf and I will put it into a word document for you.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds