Does anyone own a carpet cleaner appliance?

More
9 years 10 months ago #32511 by shad297
And if so, what do you think of it?
How often do you use it?
Was it worth it?
Has anyone hired a Rug Doctor?

A few weeks ago we had a sick dog and he had a few accidents on the carpets. I managed quite well with spot cleaning each individual stain but then decided as it was 8 years since we'd had them all cleaned (house was empty and we were about to move in) thought I would employ professional carpet cleaners.
I only got two rooms done as they were the worst and most high traffic. They did a good job but was wondering if purchasing my own such as a Bissell BS2080F Pet Wash (which just happens to be on sale at local retailer) was worth it.
Also as we are a family of four we do ourselves have the odd accident (not the same as the dog thank goodness) plus the dog tracks in mud too which I normally vacuum up when dry.
Do you believe carpets need to cleaned every 1-2 years or is that just advertising blurb?
Thanks for any replies.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #434086 by Hawkspur
If the carpet is cleaned well, by which I mean it is not overly wetted, and the cleaning solution is not too harsh, and the carpet is dry before it is used again, then a good commercial style shampoo once every year or two is good for your carpet, because it removes dirt that would otherwise get ground in and stain or damage the carpet. This, and at least weekly vacuuming is the recommended cleaning regime of wool carpet manufacturers.

More
9 years 10 months ago #434095 by wiredkiwi
I've got a Bissel Power Wash which my lovely mother bought for me :)

It's worth getting this bigger one over the Pet Wash, as you'll find you want to do the whole carpet - I do mine once a year all over with the Power Wash, then just use the Power Wash with the smaller upholstry handle attachment to spot clean any 'accidents'. It also does a fantastic job on car upholstry - I totally eradicated any evidence of the dog ever having occupied the back seat of my car! Easy to use, and does a really good job. Have previously hired a Rug Doctor (which was a hassle) and got commercial cleaners (expensive) and now I'm happy - on a nice day I can choose to do the carpets, and dont' need to do every room all at once if I dont' want to. It has just been much less hassle and expense since I had my own machine.

Highly reccommend the Bissel steam mop for hard surfaces too - very easy to use and quick drying. I like it better than the old style wet mopping.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Horses must be magnetic. Have one and others come along to join it.

More
9 years 10 months ago #434097 by Megan
We have a VAX, got it from Aussie 14 years ago, use it a lot, multiple student flats for the children over the years, dirty farm carpets, car carpets and upholstery, and multiple lounge suites. We've lent it to all the neighbours, and OH has even cleaned the work carpet with it. IT"S BRILLIANT!

Megan

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
9 years 10 months ago #434101 by kindajojo
i have hired rug doctors and they work well

More
9 years 10 months ago #434102 by Stikkibeek
I have a Kerrick Zip, wet and dry vacuum cleaner which is great for the accidental spills and the odd furball coughed up by the cat. It is excellent for those jobs, but would be too small/slow for doing a whole room. The most effective kind that commercial cleaners use are the ones that do not wet the carpet too much.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds