Wannabe ex-smokers

More
11 years 8 months ago #434854 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
Kaumea, I saw an official accident report this week in which the cause was the driver dropping his cigarette and losing control while trying to pick it up. I'm sure this sort of thing is more common than many people realise. Obviously a bit different to driving under the influence of alcohol but a smoking related crash nevertheless.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #434855 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
I heard of such thing happening...that's why i never smoke when driving :)

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

More
11 years 8 months ago #434866 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Wannabe ex-smokers

igor;433558 wrote: Kaumea, I saw an official accident report this week in which the cause was the driver dropping his cigarette and losing control while trying to pick it up. I'm sure this sort of thing is more common than many people realise. Obviously a bit different to driving under the influence of alcohol but a smoking related crash nevertheless.

Wandering slightly off topic but following on from igor's comment, my local firefighters say they have been to crashes caused by drivers losing concentration while eating fast foods, so any distraction from driving is an issue. I have also seen a woman almost completely turned around telling her children off in the back seat, all the while driving in an 80kph area and crossing into my lane [:0] I used my horn and she got a hell of a fright but not as big a fright as if she'd plowed into the solid steel ball bar (or what ever you call them) on the front of my 4x4 :(

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
11 years 8 months ago #434867 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
That's why the horn has to work for a warrant.

More
11 years 8 months ago #434868 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
2 weeks today ..the longest I've ever gone after 35 years of smoking 30 - 40 a day. (would be 2 months but I had one smoke without thinking when it was offered to me:() Started on Zyban a couple of weeks before and then stated using a combination of patches, lozenges and inhaler. Have thrown everything at it :) I'm already noticing my sense of smell has improved drastically, along with my bank balance.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
11 years 8 months ago #434869 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
Good on you betenoir and others trying to beat the 'baccy' :D

I gave up almost 21 years after being a 20+ a day smoker. Just made a decision and went cold turkey. It wasn't easy but there were two of us giving up and we planned our days to make it easier....luckily we were on holiday so could play tennis for 6 hours a day. Can't smoke while playing tennis...[:I]

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
11 years 8 months ago #434901 by BRL
Replied by BRL on topic Wannabe ex-smokers

Kate;433574 wrote: Can't smoke while playing tennis...[:I]

You'd be surprised what you can do while you're smoking ... I had a mate that could light up on a motorbike at 80 km/h[:0] (you just need the right technique).

More
11 years 8 months ago #434903 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
I had a heart attack 7 years ago when i was smoking 40 a day. have not had one since it was mind over matter. tkf :)

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
11 years 8 months ago #434905 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Wannabe ex-smokers

TKFARMER;433612 wrote: it was mind over matter. :) tkf

Everything boils down to mind over matter, that's the trouble, the mind has a mind of it's own :D
If you can get a jolt as you did it changes your mindset instantly, if not slogging through the process without anything tangible to scare the pants off you, isn't easy :D

I remember mum trying to snap me out of my first broken heart citing the mind over matter thing....didn't work then either :p

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
11 years 8 months ago #434948 by BRL
Replied by BRL on topic Wannabe ex-smokers

TKFARMER;433612 wrote: I had a heart attack 7 years ago when i was smoking 40 a day. have not had one since ...

Heart attack or cigarette? :D

More
11 years 8 months ago #434966 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
cigarettes but have had two more heart attacks. tkf :)

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
11 years 8 months ago #434967 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
I thought you meant mind over matter with the heart attacks, but you'd kept smoking! :D

I'm sometimes surprised that I could still imagine enjoying having a cigarette, even though it's more than 15 years since I stopped. It is my determination never to do so which stops me. (I'm also extremely unwilling to waste the money!) Stephan read the Carr book, was prescribed one of the antidepressant meds for the likely anxiety when he stopped, and says he's not felt like having one ever since, despite being a heavy smoker for all his adult life. I think his quitting is more robust than mine in some ways, even though he had tried and failed multiple times previously.

More
11 years 8 months ago #435025 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
That's fantastic, Betenoir - good on you!!! :-) I've never smoked but I do know how hard it is to change habits and I applaud anyone who beats an addiction to anything.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
11 years 8 months ago #435026 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
Its interesting all the comments that were made about the woman who drank 10 litres of coke a day on this forum.
No different from smoking at all
Its very easy to justify not giving up,you can use all kinds of example to justify your stance
But its about control of your own life, control of your own body
Its often the people that cry the loudest about being controlled by governments, councils etc who then claim they love smoking.
If you were in a relationship with someone who controlled you as much as cigarettes control your life you would probably want out of that relationship.
Its not until you give up you realise you had lost control of your life as you had an addiction
Its not until you give up that you realise how much of your life your were losing - your ability to breathe well, smell well, taste well etc
Its not until you give up that you realise what freedoms you have regained.
Giving up was the best thing I ever did with my life, just years too late, thats all
and smoking at the price of cigarettes today, it doesnt make sense.

More
11 years 8 months ago #435063 by lars arsbjorn
Replied by lars arsbjorn on topic Wannabe ex-smokers

muri;433750 wrote: Its interesting all the comments that were made about the woman who drank 10 litres of coke a day on this forum.
No different from smoking at all
Its very easy to justify not giving up,you can use all kinds of example to justify your stance
But its about control of your own life, control of your own body
Its often the people that cry the loudest about being controlled by governments, councils etc who then claim they love smoking.
If you were in a relationship with someone who controlled you as much as cigarettes control your life you would probably want out of that relationship.
Its not until you give up you realise you had lost control of your life as you had an addiction
Its not until you give up that you realise how much of your life your were losing - your ability to breathe well, smell well, taste well etc
Its not until you give up that you realise what freedoms you have regained.
Giving up was the best thing I ever did with my life, just years too late, thats all
and smoking at the price of cigarettes today, it doesnt make sense.

very great article of wisdom wording

ha det bra, adjø
Lars

( i am from the Scandinavian my translation poorest in english)

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds