Wannabe ex-smokers

More
11 years 9 months ago #434161 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Wannabe ex-smokers

judes;432782 wrote: A combo of champix and elect ciggy did it for me, I haven't smoked in over a year now. I took about 6 weeks to stop.
I now have a elect ciggy for sale. it has 1 cartridge (plain) left and is in excellent condition $60 +pp

Congrats! [^][^][^]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #434308 by BRL
Replied by BRL on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
I gave up nearly 20 years ago. Had been smoking between 20 and 40 a day, solidly for nearly 15 years. Really enjoyed a smoke. Stopped, stone cold turkey, rather abruptly one Sunday afternoon, never smoked again. It was really easy. All I did was spend 2 weeks in Neurosurgical Intensive Care and the day before I got sent home when the senior surgeon in the white coat had the chat with me about healthy changes to my lifestyle ... I listened to him. :D

More
11 years 9 months ago #434312 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
BRL - thanks - I actually burst out laughing at your post for all the right reasons. The best way in the world to quit smoking is to be under sedation in Hospital for some time and get all the whatever out of your system. That is how my brother did it too and he is so laid back about smoking that he invites you to smoke in her house. I don't (prefer to go outside) but he has also put on 20Kg (slim to start with) and is now on Diabetes 11 medicine, high blood pressure pills etc. It is a nonsense - this is the norm when you quit smoking!!! Given you gave up 20 years ago, I can't ask how it affected you as you were younger obviously.

Tonight on was it TV3, they interviewed a family of 6 "children" who ranged in age from 80 something to 104. I was begging them to ask the question "how many of you were smokers?" knowing that over that generation, chances were all of them to some point but no. When asked what they attributed to their age the one male answered "Plenty of booze". Guess that didn't come with a ciggie? Yeah right!

More
11 years 9 months ago #434339 by lars arsbjorn
Replied by lars arsbjorn on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
Tobacco very poor qualities enhancement for life, stopping power encapsulated within spouse un-happyness forthwith stopping immediately.

wife not like, Lars not do = happy life experiencing

ha det bra, adjø
Lars

( i am from the Scandinavian my translation poorest in english)

More
11 years 9 months ago #434370 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
Cold turkey here for Terry and I ...nearly divorced after 40 years marriage but survived ,,,hardest thing we ever did but very glad ,,,,5 years on 23rd this month since we kicked it in the butt :D
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
11 years 9 months ago #434446 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Wannabe ex-smokers

lars arsbjorn;432991 wrote: Tobacco very poor qualities enhancement for life, stopping power encapsulated within spouse un-happyness forthwith stopping immediately.

wife not like, Lars not do = happy life experiencing

Good on you.

We did the same - I got pregnant and couldn't stand the smell, stopped immediately. Husband wanted to be able to sleep in the same bedroom so stopped soon after. Daughter is now 10 years old with 2 non smoking parents. :D :D :D :D

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
11 years 9 months ago #434460 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
Having seen my father and grandfather go through a hell of a lot of smoking related health issues, I disagree with the point of view that the figures are corrupt. My father had
emphysema: very severe, hardly any lung tissue that functioned
heart valve failed: replaced decades ago with a metal one that I could hear clicking when standing next to him. This meant he had to take warfarin to thin his blood for the rest of his life, and was a bit of a problem as he was then often in hospital with bleeding in the bowel. He had so many transfusions that the blood bank sent personal notes to him with them. He had 36 units in less than two days once. He had more than 50 gastroscopies and even more colonoscopies trying to find the source of this bleeding. These are no fun, especially if you have to go into hospital for a few days each time to come off warfarin beforehand.
Hacking cough that really wracked him. (Didn't help the hernia either, but that wasn't smoking related.)
Severe stomach ulcers that had him lose sleep for the last 30 years of his life.
Heart attacks.
He needed arterial transplants in his legs, but died before he got near the top of the waiting list.
There were a few other things as well like very cold limbs because of the effect of nicotine on his circulation, ulcerous injuries etc.

Looking at this you'd think he was bedridden, but he worked until a few months before he died. I wouldn't call it a high quality of life though.
What killed him?
Technically, lung cancer. Cigarettes did a fair bit of damage before they killed him though.

More
11 years 9 months ago #434473 by DiDi
I am sorry to hear you lost family this way but I also know people who have died of lung cancer who never smoked and did not live with a smoker. It is a very broad stretch to blame all those conditions on smoking but good on everyone who has quit. Great! No problem with that.

More
11 years 9 months ago #434505 by lars arsbjorn
Replied by lars arsbjorn on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
Many German clothing optional stay smoke we say NO, sauna not smoking, farm not smoking, sleeping living not smoking

Enjoy breath air nature clean air

ha det bra, adjø
Lars

( i am from the Scandinavian my translation poorest in english)

More
11 years 9 months ago #434516 by DiDi
No different from here Lars (if I am interpreting you correctly). There is no argument here in that to be a non smoker is the best option by far.

However, there are those of us who have smoked for in excess of 45 years who get "normal" lung XRays etc and are just over being told how disgusting and awful we are. There are far more harmful options in life than smoking but (some get stomach stapling as per our food addict MP who is driving this) thjis is ignored. Thus the reference to Diabetes and High Blood Pressure.

Bear in mind folk, if I get Lung Cancer I will apologise to all and let you know but having come from a family (35 first cousins) where no one has died from Cancer, I really can't see that I have a high likelihood of biting the bullet from cigarettes. One of my aunties is still smoking at 92. Mother quit at 56. Father quit at 70. If there was a button I could push that meant I woke up in the morning smokefree, I would push it! No argument.

More
11 years 9 months ago #434548 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
Yeah, it is funny how some people can smoke like a traction engine and still live to a ripe old age while other people with a supposedly healthy livestyle die young. I still prefer not to smoke myself and require that my home is smokefree but I don't mind if others smoke in the privacy of their own place.
I don't support the total ban on smoking in bars as I believe that it ought to be allowable for a publican to provide a place where patrons can enjoy a cigar or a pipe while having a drink in pleasant surroundings without being chased outside like second class citizens the moment they light up.

More
11 years 9 months ago #434751 by MooandPop
Replied by MooandPop on topic Wannabe ex-smokers

BRL;432955 wrote: I gave up nearly 20 years ago. Had been smoking between 20 and 40 a day, solidly for nearly 15 years. Really enjoyed a smoke. Stopped, stone cold turkey, rather abruptly one Sunday afternoon, never smoked again. It was really easy. All I did was spend 2 weeks in Neurosurgical Intensive Care and the day before I got sent home when the senior surgeon in the white coat had the chat with me about healthy changes to my lifestyle ... I listened to him. :D

You had one of those revelations too? I had a collapsed lung that wouldn't reinflate - turns out I had an extremely rare auto immune reaction to ciggy smoke and about half of my lungs had massive cysts on them. Two weeks in hospital and ongoing yearly checks now. I've got 51% lung function but what i've got works really well and will continue to as long as I stay off the fags. This was 10 years ago - I was 22 when it all happened, and I LOVED smoking. Too bad it didn't love me! The Doctors say that you would be amazed at the amount of people who don't listen and don't quit when they have this sort of thing happen to them.

More
11 years 9 months ago #434765 by DiDi
Moo and all others - does anyone know why so many people with asthma smoke - because they can breathe after having a cigarette. It is not different when you are choking with the flu - I have no idea why but have a smoke and you can breathe.

I am a smoker but also one of the police who has no problem with saying to young people (even those I don't know!) "stop now guys as you really don't want the addiction" but my problem for those of us who have smoked for years is that it is a legal drug, we are hooked so leave us alone to die our death (even if we are 92 before being quoted as a smoking related disease!) and no one can deny that smokers are paying far more than their smoking related diseases are causing to the economy. Tariana is just a nutter and she can sue me for saying that. What I see out my window living near a kindergarten is just how many people are still smoking despite the cost increase. I just see it as an addiction and less food in their babies mouths. Dumb - not a victory. What are we doing about P addictions. About Cocaine addictions. Too hard?

More
11 years 9 months ago #434776 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic Wannabe ex-smokers

DiDi;433459 wrote: What are we doing about P addictions. About Cocaine addictions. Too hard?

and what about addiction to alcohol??? You can buy any alcohol you want in those bottlestores but cigarettes have to be out of sight...weird...
I have never heard of an accident caused by a smoker-driver, but you can read all the times about drink-drivers.

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

More
11 years 9 months ago #434844 by trixie
Replied by trixie on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
Hi - Yes, I too can breathe better after a cigarette and don't understand why. I too hope the next generations don't smoke but think that until the anti brigade start understanding the complexity of the addiction, and treating those issues, smoking will remain. There are very good reasons why smoking is so high amongst the low income and fringe of society people.
Turiana (sp) gets right up my nose as well. Her hand to mouth addiction had a surgical solution, where's our equivalent?
Quitline is the equivalent of weight watchers, great for those who just need some support to stop. Useless for real addicts.
If the real concern was for our health, all quitting support mechanisms would be available free E.G. hypnosis, counseling, massage, stress management programmes. What ever it took.
I too started years ago when it was not only socially acceptable, but also actively encouraged. Now that I'm so addicted, they change the rules and I'm
a menace to society. Nice to know all the years of being a law abiding citizen who has done hundreds of hours of voluntary work is irrelevant - I'm to be denigrated by society. :(

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds