Wannabe ex-smokers

More
11 years 9 months ago #32507 by Aria
Wannabe ex-smokers was created by Aria
:D :D :D - well I've tried everything - patches, gum, lollies, the Alan Carr book/method, acupuncture, hypnosis, will power (hahaha), Isis seminars, going bush where we couldn't get to a dairy .. many more than once, and yet .. the quest goes on!

And finally, I think I've found the holy grail;

www.hydroelectroniccigarette.com/

If you decide to give them a go, I recommend you get two of the starter packs - as the batteries go flat and you don't want to reach for the real thing whilst your fake is charging! :D :D :D

My rough calculation is that the cost is about half that of ciggies for the same number of hydro puffs [^] and as you can see, you can gradually reduce the level of nicotine content in your filter ... until you're just smoking air!!!

Being a menthol smoker - the taste is pretty much spot on similar, but hubby who smokes regulars is less convinced about that perfect match.

Whatever you might be trying - happy quitting out there if you are trying!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #434049 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
ahh Nicotine isnt the problem.. thats out of the system within 48 hours..
i too have tried everything.. allan carr worked well, except i didnt get to the the chapter on how to stay off!![;)]
soo a year off and back again, i have gone 7 years and started again, another attempt had me off 4 years.. then back..doh!.

its a mind thing and a habit thing.. hard to break the habit of a lifetime .. just add up how many years you have been smoking! eekkk

then there is the weight gain.. my last effort added 10kg.. and no i didnt change eating habits or stop exercising.. hate it hate it hate it..
wish i had never started.. good luck and strength on your efforts..

More
11 years 9 months ago #434051 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
how will you know how much nicotine you need? it's not mentionned on the packs, or is it?

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

More
11 years 9 months ago #434059 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Wannabe ex-smokers

kaumea;432671 wrote: how will you know how much nicotine you need? it's not mentionned on the packs, or is it?

:D :D .. trust me .. we know when we are running low...!

i think the theory here is that we start off slowly.. ie a couple a day, increasing as the body demands more of a hit.. so the theory is we should give up slowly and gently reajust the body to not running on nicotine...

not a theory i subscribe to, incidently, its not a physical addiction ( well not after the first week ).. its a mental thing.. so various methods work for different people.. its about flicking the brain over to knowing its a non smoker..

More
11 years 9 months ago #434065 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic Wannabe ex-smokers

stephclark;432679 wrote: :D :D .. trust me .. we know when we are running low...!

i think the theory here is that we start off slowly.. ie a couple a day, increasing as the body demands more of a hit.. so the theory is we should give up slowly and gently reajust the body to not running on nicotine...

not a theory i subscribe to, incidently, its not a physical addiction ( well not after the first week ).. its a mental thing.. so various methods work for different people.. its about flicking the brain over to knowing its a non smoker..

yeah the flicking one is the one ..brain is not willing to give up (yet) body tells to stop for a long time now...how do you turn the switch :confused:

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

More
11 years 9 months ago #434074 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Wannabe ex-smokers

stephclark;432669 wrote: ahh Nicotine isnt the problem.. thats out of the system within 48 hours..
i too have tried everything.. allan carr worked well, except i didnt get to the the chapter on how to stay off!![;)]
soo a year off and back again, i have gone 7 years and started again, another attempt had me off 4 years.. then back..doh!.

its a mind thing and a habit thing.. hard to break the habit of a lifetime .. just add up how many years you have been smoking! eekkk

then there is the weight gain.. my last effort added 10kg.. and no i didnt change eating habits or stop exercising.. hate it hate it hate it..
wish i had never started.. good luck and strength on your efforts..

I soooo hear you, I started smoking at 12, gave up at 22, re-started at 24, gave up at 32, re-started at 47, gave up at 52 re-started at 54, gave up 3 days ago. I have put on 20kgs in the last year !!!!!!!!!

The "aaaahhhh that's better" of a cigarette is what I miss, no mater how angry I am, how stressed, how undervalued I feel, how much work I have yet to do on the farm, I can quarantee a euphoric settling of my equalibrium with a cig. Leaning on a post watching the chooks with a cup of coffee isn't the same without a cancer stick. Sorry if that's offensive but I have to keep calling them that such is their power!!!!!

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
11 years 9 months ago #434079 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Wannabe ex-smokers

Cinsara;432695 wrote: I soooo hear you, I started smoking at 12, gave up at 22, re-started at 24, gave up at 32, re-started at 47, gave up at 52 re-started at 54, gave up 3 days ago. I have put on 20kgs in the last year !!!!!!!!!

The "aaaahhhh that's better" of a cigarette is what I miss, no mater how angry I am, how stressed, how undervalued I feel, how much work I have yet to do on the farm, I can quarantee a euphoric settling of my equalibrium with a cig. Leaning on a post watching the chooks with a cup of coffee isn't the same without a cancer stick. Sorry if that's offensive but I have to keep calling them that such is their power!!!!!

What I've found with these electronic ciggies - is that it's just like smoking a cigarette - same size - same motions - same inhale/exhale of 'smoke' (well it's actually water vapour you 'puff' in and out) - the end even glows blue (not red) when you take a gasp. [8D][8D][8D]

Same relaxation/relief when you take in that first drag, and same 'satisfaction' on having finished it as you finish the accompanying coffee (or whatever it is you do to accompany your smoko break).

Must sound absolutely unbelievable to non-smokers that smokers actually enjoy breathing in combustable matter full of toxic chemicals - but yeah, I have to admit, I love my smokes. These fakes at least mean I don't have to think about actually giving all those 'rituals' up. [8D] After all, I hate the thought of denying myself something I enjoy.

This is quitting for those without will power, I think. And I'm tired of beating myself up about having no will power :D :D :D .

More
11 years 9 months ago #434082 by Kilmoon
Replied by Kilmoon on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
Us kids got Dad off cigarettes (when we were kids) through the following method...and he DIDN'T ever start up again. Mum was an active encourager for us to do our worst.

1 - " You're gonna die now" and similar death comments every time he puffed in our presence. We even went through a mock funeral once when he fell asleep on the couch, we'd made a great tombstone for him out of a large cardboard box...it sat in the lounge until he gave up.

2 Every time he coughed (even if he had a cold) we'd all launch into great discussions on lung cancer with vivid descriptions of the lungs. Now these were in the days before computers, yes shock horror such days existed. We went to the library and got out medical texts so that we were accurate in our terminology.

3 - broke every match head off his matches, leaving packs (and I mean packs) of sticks. Lighters were drained of fluid.

4 - Broke every cigarette up in his packets, dipped them in water creating a soggy mess, or broke every filter off, crumbled some paper at the bottom and put the filters back so that he couldn't tell.

5 - We were encouraged by Mum to go through his things to find hidden packs of ciggies....its amazing the things you find in your Dad's bedside drawer...Mum probably had forgotten they were there (two brothers had fun with the 'balloons' they found :D ).

6 - had great fun telling his mates (when they were over) that they were going to die as well, as they were also smokers. Took turns discussing when they might die....in front of them.

We were right royal pains in the butt....but Dad stopped after a couple of months and never started again. Could be it got just way too expensive for him...and this was in late 1970s money.

I'm a personal believer that its just down to will power, you're changing a habit - that's not difficult if each time you want to do that habit you actively think 'no, I'm going to do something else'.

More
11 years 9 months ago #434087 by Aria

Kilmoon;432706 wrote: Us kids got Dad off cigarettes (when we were kids) through the following method...and he DIDN'T ever start up again. Mum was an active encourager for us to do our worst.

1 - " You're gonna die now" and similar death comments every time he puffed in our presence. We even went through a mock funeral once when he fell asleep on the couch, we'd made a great tombstone for him out of a large cardboard box...it sat in the lounge until he gave up.

2 Every time he coughed (even if he had a cold) we'd all launch into great discussions on lung cancer with vivid descriptions of the lungs. Now these were in the days before computers, yes shock horror such days existed. We went to the library and got out medical texts so that we were accurate in our terminology.

3 - broke every match head off his matches, leaving packs (and I mean packs) of sticks. Lighters were drained of fluid.

4 - Broke every cigarette up in his packets, dipped them in water creating a soggy mess, or broke every filter off, crumbled some paper at the bottom and put the filters back so that he couldn't tell.

5 - We were encouraged by Mum to go through his things to find hidden packs of ciggies....its amazing the things you find in your Dad's bedside drawer...Mum probably had forgotten they were there (two brothers had fun with the 'balloons' they found :D ).

6 - had great fun telling his mates (when they were over) that they were going to die as well, as they were also smokers. Took turns discussing when they might die....in front of them.

We were right royal pains in the butt....but Dad stopped after a couple of months and never started again. Could be it got just way too expensive for him...and this was in late 1970s money.

I'm a personal believer that its just down to will power, you're changing a habit - that's not difficult if each time you want to do that habit you actively think 'no, I'm going to do something else'.

Reminds me of that quote from Whale Rider:

Paikea : Maori women have got to stop smoking. We've got to protect our childbearing properties.
Maka : You'd have to be smoking in a pretty funny place to wreck your childbearing properties.

:D :D :D

More
11 years 9 months ago #434088 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Wannabe ex-smokers

Kilmoon;432706 wrote: I'm a personal believer that its just down to will power, you're changing a habit - that's not difficult if each time you want to do that habit you actively think 'no, I'm going to do something else'.

How long did it take for your desires to abate Kilmoon?

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
11 years 9 months ago #434089 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Wannabe ex-smokers

Kilmoon;432706 wrote: Us kids got Dad off cigarettes (when we were kids) through the following method...and he DIDN'T ever start up again. Mum was an active encourager for us to do our worst.

That is the funniest thing I've read in ages. :D :D :D Love it.

More
11 years 9 months ago #434117 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
Then there are those of us who will never give up smoking as we have seen exactly what is described above. Friends who have gone through years of quitting only to start again and seriously - why?

The anti smoking brigade are just corrupt with their figures. If you are 92 and died of a heart attack (having smoked) you will be recorded as a smoking related disease. 92? This was recently reported in a Regional paper by the son.

I could quote a lot more as to why this is so ridiculous but each to their own in life. I thought we got rid of the Labour Government because of the Nanny State that was being forced on us. Key Government? Say wot? Think about it.

More
11 years 9 months ago #434121 by Aria
Agree Didi - the PCness sure hasn't gone away! We all have to die of something anyway .. I just don't want to die poor :D :D :D !

The way this Nat/Act/Maori coalition is going - what with increased GST and increased excise tax on tobacco - it made me more resolved to deny them my pound of flesh. If you looked at Treasury's forecasts in the 2012 budget - the increase in tobacco excise tax represented 25% of the forecast increase in tax take. The other forecasts (increased corporate tax take and increased GST return) won't likely materialise in this economic climate .. so its really up to smokers to 'save' the nation!!! Ironic, eh?

Anyway, started my tax protest by planting a tobacco crop (great little growers they are and we're waiting for that first harvest to dry-cure now) but then spotted these alternates and thought I'd spoil the government's plan a bit earlier than my 'forecast' projection :D :D :D .

More
11 years 9 months ago #434122 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Wannabe ex-smokers

Aria;432703 wrote:

This is quitting for those without will power, I think. And I'm tired of beating myself up about having no will power :D :D :D .

T'aint will power you need! Tis won't power! :p

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 9 months ago #434148 by judes
Replied by judes on topic Wannabe ex-smokers
A combo of champix and elect ciggy did it for me, I haven't smoked in over a year now. I took about 6 weeks to stop.
I now have a elect ciggy for sale. it has 1 cartridge (plain) left and is in excellent condition $60 +pp

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds