modems

More
9 years 10 months ago #32486 by rob
modems was created by rob
here is one for you Grant,

we are looking at replacing our modem, what is a good one to buy?

thanks

Rob

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #433829 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic modems
Hi Rob,

I'm pretty sure you're on broadband, from the recent discussion about the Wireless Network icon showing on your laptop?

And given that you have a laptop with wireless, you'll be wanting another wireless-equipped modem?

Honestly, it doesn't make sense to buy a modem without wireless these days, even if it's just for visitors who usually arrive toting laptops, iPads, Smartphones and the like. PB Tech. have a huge range available either online or at their Penrose or Manukau showrooms:

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=c&p=modems&pg=2

If it was my money, and I just wanted a reliable ADSL2+ modem with wireless access point, I think I would choose one of the TP-Link units at the bottom of that page. Obviously not the very cheapest one because it doesn't have wireless, but any of the other 3 should be OK. The $89 one has dual antennas which may give better coverage if you have a largish house, so that may be a consideration.

More
9 years 10 months ago #433843 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic modems
+1 for PBTech.

Our ISP supplied wireless router recently died so decided to upgrade as our modem gets plenty of throughput with a home business with two laptops and the recent addition of a wireless multifunction printer. We purchased an ASUS RT-N16 through PB Tech's Trade Me store with sale and delivery being unfaulted.

We are on wireless BB so hardware may be different as we run a seperate modem upstream of the router. A bit pricier ($190) than the basic units but a great router with its own onboard memory so able to store downloaded data independent of the computers.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
9 years 10 months ago #433894 by kiwi_jon
Replied by kiwi_jon on topic modems
Rob,

Any particular reason you want to change your ADSL router?

If you are concerned about your current broadband speed then a new router may not resolve that.

Factors affecting broadband signal/quality are:

Distance from exchange/fibre cabinet
Quality of the telephone cable/line into the house
Quality of phone wiring in the house
Quality of the ADSL filters on your phone sockets. Filters do go faulty. All devices that plug into a phone socket must have a filter i.e. phones, fax, Sky and monitored alarms.

Also remember that ADSL routers are not plug and play. They need to be configured to work at your location.

More
9 years 10 months ago #433905 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic modems
Bear in mind too that PBTech is not necessarily cheaper than you can negotiate elsewhere. They were but not sure they are now.

Rob I think you are on cable but one thing I have learnt over many months of total rubbish (drop outs you would not believe) is that changing to a WiFi system and changing the channel plus choosing auto has resulted in rare outages. Is this not as much about how you have your router set up and that is not critisism having been through this garbage for months, but is that a thought?

When is the next public holiday? Why? I had the Franklin Chorus people on holiday and on Anzac weekend, Chorus sent out two guys from Auckland to deal with my ongoing issues. So awesome. They were Islanders and I could not understand a word they were saying to each other until I asked them to speak English. They laughed ( I get on with anyone) and using the big yellow machine (which I know costs the contractors $10,000 to own) they found a fault 30M down the road. Fixed that! Yeah! I had my home phone outside and when they went to put the plastic back over the lines, I went Whoa guys, that is crackling. They listened. Investigated further and found a loose wire that was in effect shorting the other lines. Fixed that and I receive (with rare outages) around 14Mbps.

So this should also work for cable if the line is at fault - not your modem. I suspect it is. Bear in mind that under the changes, from what I understand, the Chorus guys are basically self employed, pay for their vans and equipment and so they need to call it in to get paid even if it does not fix your issue. That sounds much harsher than intended (as no doubt there are those who really want to sort your issue out) but bear this in mind and ensure that they are using all the equipment available to them when fixing your fault and be there asking questions plus watch that plastic cover! :D

More
9 years 10 months ago #433981 by rob
Replied by rob on topic modems
update,
The guy from Chorus has just left and he found a fault on the wires outside.
He worked on the phone to stop the crackling and so far it sounds good.
I then went on to the issue with the modem, so he looked into that as well., he could not figure it out what was wrong, so i had the laptop on and went on to do a speed test and it went up to 11.38mbps, he tried my phone and it dropped off to about 0.04[:(!] and this was right in front of his eyes.
So off he went again outside did something else, no internet connection, tried something else it is now up to 14.95 Mbps and upload speed of 0.98 :) :) :) :)
I thought i was going mad and was so glad to see it hopefully fixed. :D :D :D :D
will keep you all posted

Rob

More
9 years 10 months ago #434002 by Scuba_Steve
Replied by Scuba_Steve on topic modems
sounds like filter problems to me

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

More
9 years 10 months ago #434006 by DiDi
Yeah - hope my post helped. Incidentally, my rental has a dedicated ADSL line but that did not help when the fault was in the lines outside!

Seriously, you have to be there (no disrespect to your guy Rob who went the extra yards) but bear in mind, if you hadn't been able to show him the speedtest result, chances are that he would have fixed the first fault without even realizing there was an additional fault. It really makes you realise why there are so many complaints nationally but then these guys are racing from fault to fault and probably believe that without situations like ours (being there) that they had honestly and genuinely fixed the fault when they left. Just enjoy that speed and hopefully that will be the end of it.

Incidentally, I am with Voda and have been to hell and back trying to get internet drop offs resolved (including them sending a replacement router) but I went into my settings and stopped my computer going to sleep (or whatever - frustration and Google is your best friend) and that too seems to have sorted out my problem along with changing WIFI channel and connection to auto. Just putting it out there as information to others if they are having the same issues.

More
9 years 10 months ago #434010 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic modems
Great to hear that your connection is working so well now Rob.

rob;432593 wrote: update,
i had the laptop on and went on to do a speed test and it went up to 11.38mbps, he tried my phone and it dropped off to about 0.04[:(!] and this was right in front of his eyes.

This indicates probably a 90% chance that your filter was at fault. The job of a filter is to isolate the broadband signals from the phone signals. If the filter dies, you have no isolation, so the moment you lift a phone off the hook, the broadband signal is pretty much extinguished.

Also, if you hear that crackling again on your phone, it can also be a pointer to a faulty filter. I have had two different filters fail with exactly those symptoms.

More
9 years 10 months ago #434221 by rob
Replied by rob on topic modems
I would just like to say a BIG THANK YOU to all the advice I have received, it is still good to see that there is still help out there when needed. I take my hat off to the guy from Chorus, (this was the fourth visit, but the first for him) and his face was picture when the speed test needle just dropped right off.

thanks again

Rob

More
9 years 10 months ago #434234 by DiDi
Keep his card Grant and they are a rarity in Franklin! Totally understand your happiness. Long may it continue! :D

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds