HELP - I'm Confused

More
10 years 1 week ago #433237 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic HELP - I'm Confused
Well I for one will stick with a desktop computer, I have a laptop which gets very little use as it's screen is much smaller than my desk top computer, also slower even though I bought the laptop later, one of the problems with laptops is the heat they generate if you have them on your lap.

My biggest problem with laptops is if something goes wrong you can't fix it yourself, with a desktop you just replace the bits you need, works out much cheaper in the long run and you can always upgrade the tower for much less than replacing a laptop.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 week ago #433246 by MooandPop
Replied by MooandPop on topic HELP - I'm Confused
I use a 15 inch Macbook Pro, so user friendly! I got it second hand for 700 bucks. Heaps of ram (4 gig) heaps of hard drive 320 (gig). Best of all, I can close the lid and slide it under the couch when I'm done. No need for a dedicated area for a desktop. Does everything that i'll ever need to do and a decent size screen too. Have been using Macs for the last 6-7 years and I don't think I would return to a PC. :D :D :D

More
10 years 1 week ago #433250 by igor
Replied by igor on topic HELP - I'm Confused
Apple is a fruit. Mac is a raincoat.

More
10 years 1 week ago #433299 by Scuba_Steve
Replied by Scuba_Steve on topic HELP - I'm Confused

Organix;431744 wrote: All good advice so far but don't be so quick to write off Dell. My previous employer purchases up to 10 laptops a year and the IT guru there consider them the 'best bang for your buck', so my own computer is a Dell XPS :D Though this is a gaming orientated laptop it wasn't purchased for that but for the HD graphics and high end processing ability. One minor HD glitch was very promptly fixed by a local Dell support technician at our home and other than that it performs flawlessly. Also if you can purchase for business purposes Dell can be negotiated into discounting their website prices.

Dell tends to be a "coin flip" company in my experience, either they're good or they're shit. Flip a coin take your chance.

MooandPop;431795 wrote: Have been using Macs for the last 6-7 years and I don't think I would return to a PC. :D :D :D

There is no return from the dark-side :cool:

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

More
10 years 1 week ago #433301 by kiwi_jon
Replied by kiwi_jon on topic HELP - I'm Confused

Simkin;431687 wrote: Hi Ken, we recently bought a new computer. What a disaster! No more Outlook Express and Microsoft Word isn't included, either - has to be purchased separately. Powerpoint had 20 'uses' included - then it just seizes to work.

You can still buy laptops and they are a lot cheaper now than a few years ago. I wouldn't buy a HP (Hewlett Packard - too many crappy components). Ask specifically whether it has everything you need. Occasionally you still find one with Windows Vistas - I wouldn't buy one of those. Windows 7 is better.

Simkin,

Microsoft has never included Microsoft Word or any MS Office application in any of it's operating systems.

Up until the mid 2000's some manufacturers bundled Microsoft Works Suite with their Windows machines. MS Works Suite included a reduced functionality version of MS Word. The manufacturers bought the MS Works package from MS and bundled it into their own offerings, usually passing on the cost to the purchaser as a slightly higher price.

From the mid 2000's manufacturers started bundling trial versions of the MS Office Suite. These were fully functional Office applications but limited to 50 uses only before requiring the purchaser to purchase a license.

Recently manufacturers have started including the free Microsoft Office Starter, a reduced functionality, ad supported, version of MS Word and MS Excel. Office Starter can only be installed on new PC's by the manufacturer at the time of manufacture.

Office Starter will be replaced by a free online, reduced funtionality, ad supported version of Office in the near future, along the lines of Google Docs.

When you buy an new machine you can request that MS Office be installed but it is at your cost.

Outlook Express has not been included in MS operating systems since XP. Vista had Windows Mail and Windows7 has Windows Live Mail both vastly superior in functionality to Outlook Express.

Windows7 is a far better operating system than Vista. However it be just as short lived with Windows8 just around the corner.

More
10 years 1 week ago #433303 by kiwi_jon
Replied by kiwi_jon on topic HELP - I'm Confused

Scuba_Steve;431727 wrote: GrantK's mostly right, 'cept Tablets can refer to iPad & like devices (Galaxy 10.1 etc) or laptops that can be used as touch screens.

iPad does have productivity software, word processing, spreadsheet, email, web browser, even video & picture editors, etc. But iPads & like tablets primarily use soft keyboards (these can take a bit to get used to & ain't to everyone's liking)

Laptops, Notebooks are exactly the same thing (they can no longer call them laptops in America as they implies you can use it on the lap yet doing so could cause burns) & I'd put the price for a decent one at 1000-1500$ but they do start as low as 600$, netbooks, & ultrabooks are the same thing as laptop just of different grades, netbooks usually being the small underpowered laptops (better off getting a iPad/tablet in my opinion) ultrabooks being the "gaming" laptops (they'll be WELL overpowered & priced for what you'll be after)

iPads/tablets suit alot of people & are very convenient (small size, light weight, long battery etc), laptops offer more power and a physical keyboard.
if open to the idea of a iPad/tablet check it offers you what you want, if so check one in-store against a laptop see which you'll prefer to use/own. Sales people will only be more than happy to help assist you in trying them out (they love potential computer sales, them the $$$ makers, just don't let them pressure you)

I love my 10.1" Android tablet (ASUS Transformer). It has changed the way I do business and has paid for itself in less than a year.

I answer client queries on the go, remote into client machines and servers (windows and linux) and resolve issues from my car (or boat :D ).

I now invoice on the spot before leaving site, email it to the client or upload to the cloud then download it on the clients machine.

I can create MS Office compatible docs for quotes etc on site for clients.

Synchronise emails, calendar, note, contacts and to do list with tablet, phone and Outlook on home laptop over the air wherever I am.

All that as well as take photos, listen to music, watch movies, surf the net, read books, navigate my boat etc etc.

It did take a while to get used to the keyboard, in fact I bought a mini bluetooth keyboard and mouse that worked with the tablet but I rarely use them now.

Tablets can however be very anti-social. There can be nights where both myself and my wife are sitting in the lounge using our tablets and several hours can go by before we realise that there has been no converstion.

I still need to have the laptop and PC though as there are some things that cannot be be done on a tablet.

More
10 years 1 week ago #433383 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic HELP - I'm Confused

GrantK;431763 wrote:
USB Sticks are the way to go in my opinion.

Absolutely - they are much better than those scratchy, wibbly wobbly discs of silvery fragility. And they come with pretty patterns.

I remember when CDs were first introduced. I thought they'd never take over the video cassette :D They were also billeted as being indestructable. They obviously never met my children.

However, Mum has a DVD player but not a computer so she needs a disc.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
10 years 1 week ago #433465 by igor
Replied by igor on topic HELP - I'm Confused
Everyone knows that vinyl LPs are better than CDs. Not only do they have music on both sides but CDs sound like crap when played loud through the DVD player and the horrible tinny speaker on the television whereas I can crank the vinyl as loud as the old radiogram goes and still get clear, distortion free sound reproduction. Vinyl handles the odd beer spillage a lot better than CDs too.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds